Hello,

I am, as of 27 days, the very happy owner of a second-hand n900. I've flashed it, installed the CSSU, played around with several applications and twiddled with settings left right and centre.

But I'm now getting the 'idge' to start mucking about properly with it. First on my list is translation/localisation. I'm a fluent Welsh speaker, and competent translator too. I'm familiar with gnu po files, and have worked with web-based and offline translation systems in the past.

I want to get the core UI translated first. My problem is knowing where to start. I've had a good nose around the forums and wiki, but much of the information on translating fremantle is very outdated. I've come across two transifex projects, namely n900-extra-translations and n900-cssu-translation, but I don't know if either of these are still active, relevant, or linked to current repositories. Nosing around in the git repository for the CSSU didn't help me, as most of the packages I looked at didn't have any po files (camera-ui-l10n and modest-l10n being the obvious exceptions).

Any pointers on where I should look to focus my efforts?

Thanks

The Following User Says Thank You to kazzie For This Useful Post:
Sorry that I didn't come with precise help, but I'm sure CSSU devs should have up-to-date information about it. If You manage to make complete translation to language that wasn't supported before, I think many people could benefit from it - maybe it will land in CSSU, or, at least, as package in repository.

If You won't get answer here in next couple days, try at IRC #maemo-ssu (Freenode).

Good luck!

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Posts: 1,648 | Thanked: 2,122 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ UNKLE's Never Never Land
Originally Posted by kazzie View Post
Hello,

I am, as of 27 days, the very happy owner of a second-hand n900. I've flashed it, installed the CSSU, played around with several applications and twiddled with settings left right and centre.

But I'm now getting the 'idge' to start mucking about properly with it. First on my list is translation/localisation. I'm a fluent Welsh speaker, and competent translator too. I'm familiar with gnu po files, and have worked with web-based and offline translation systems in the past.

I want to get the core UI translated first. My problem is knowing where to start. I've had a good nose around the forums and wiki, but much of the information on translating fremantle is very outdated. I've come across two transifex projects, namely n900-extra-translations and n900-cssu-translation, but I don't know if either of these are still active, relevant, or linked to current repositories. Nosing around in the git repository for the CSSU didn't help me, as most of the packages I looked at didn't have any po files (camera-ui-l10n and modest-l10n being the obvious exceptions).

Any pointers on where I should look to focus my efforts?

Thanks
You can add a request here to create your language.
Haven't spoken to fistfan for some time but he might accept to support the upload to the repos one more language.

In the worst case sent him a mail.