Posts: 2,448 | Thanked: 9,523 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Wigan, UK
Originally Posted by Chuck Norris View Post
@Rugoz Galaxy note is new, with innovative features and size. That's where samsung innovation can be found. It's nokia 6 years ago.
It's just another fondleslab. Same formfactor that's been flooding the market since the launch of the first iPhone.

My website

GitHub

Posts: 961 | Thanked: 565 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Tyneside, North East England
Stephen Elop is the Fred Goodwin of the Mobile phone industry, and with him in charge I think Nokia could be ultimately doomed.

Nokia's problems are well known and documented.

Ditching Symbian in the way he did was stupid and harmful to Nokia in the short to medium term.

Ditching Meego was harmful as the success of the N9 has shown. it had a lot of potential, even if there was rough edges still.

I don't think Elop is a planned trojan horse for Microsoft, but it is what he knows, and it probably written though him like a stick of rock, and seemed the safe bet, and along with a massive bung from Microsoft.

A brave Nokia, proud of it's WP devices would have had no fear in pushing the N9 widely - either Nokia or quite possibly Microsoft feared the shadow the N9 would cast over the WP devices. Nokia need to find that brave adventurous streak again, but I am fearful that they won't.

Nokia 770 (2gb) since Aug 2007
Nokia N800 (32gb) since Dec 2007
Nokia N810 (16gb) since Sep 2009
Nokia N900 (64gb) since Aug 2010 ______________________________

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by marxian View Post
It's just another fondleslab. Same formfactor that's been flooding the market since the launch of the first iPhone.
Yes, so what. Creating a new segment. Nice notetaking, cool ways to take screenshots, S-pen and so forth. But I won't argue with you since you don't see that.

Yes, so what. Creating a new segment. Nice notetaking, cool ways to take screenshots, S-pen and so forth. But I won't argue with you since you don't see that.
N900 has notetaking, mypaint, cool 3 button press screenshot taking (ctrl + shift + p), pen and so forth. New segment....u SURE?

I got a galaxy note last month. it's pretty good. It is something a bit different and is new and up to date. If only it had maemo5 and a hardware kb it would be the best thing since sliced n900s.

I can see the point of the form factor argument though. Why do companies seem to think we all want a featureless rectangle with no buttons? The note could easily have a camera button on the side and there's plenty of room still for a few more. a camera cover of some kind would have beenn nie too. It's like designers have watched the film 2001 too much. I suppose in the current climate the notes size and s-pen stylus can be seen as pretty innovative in comparison, which is why lots of people like it. Everyone at work wants one too now. With any luck designers might latch on to the success and start adding more varied designs to the market.

Originally Posted by Kangal View Post
I think the only way Nokia can succeed is if they make something of their "special agreement".

They need to pack that polycarbonate with their best quality cameras, largest possible battery, 4G LTE, the fastest available SoC (for WP) and supplement their own User eXperince (a la Swipe UI).

As long as this device is the best crop (spec wise) from Windows Phone, and it looks (polycarbonate) and behaves (SwipeUI) different to the competitors....then NOKIA has a real chance!

Otherwise, they're slowly sinking in the icy waters of the Pacific regardless of how hard they trot
WP doesn't allow manufacturers to put their own UI layer like Android. Each WP phone works and feels the same as any other. In terms of hardware Nokia is pretty much constrained by the OS - eg, no NFC support, no micro-SD support, no multicore support, max internal storage is 16GB, no divx/xvid video support, etc.

But the greatest impediment to WP is the name Windows Phone itself. Nobody wants Windows on their phones as it is associated with a bloated, buggy, malware infested OS and a monopolistic Microsoft. Of course they are different but the name and automatic association rankles.

MS will lead Nokia to an early grave, no doubt about that.

Last edited by SamGan; 2012-02-01 at 00:23.

Originally Posted by patlak View Post
N900 has notetaking, mypaint, cool 3 button press screenshot taking (ctrl + shift + p), pen and so forth. New segment....u SURE?
The only reason I bought this phone and refuse to replace it with any other kind. Galaxy Note? The N900 can do what I want it to do without a fancy pen.

Posts: 273 | Thanked: 463 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Athens
Originally Posted by SamGan View Post

But the greatest impediment to WP is the name Windows Phone itself. Nobody wants Windows on their phones as it is associated with a bloated, buggy, malware infested OS and a monopolistic Microsoft. Of course they are different but the name and automatic association rankles.

I've been saying that since they launched WP. Why the hell are they using the "windows" name? Couldn't they have called it something else and the browser IE lol that's suicide.

Originally Posted by SamGan View Post
WP doesn't allow manufacturers to put their own UI layer like Android. Each WP phone works and feels the same as any other. In terms of hardware Nokia is pretty much constrained by the OS - eg, no NFC support, no micro-SD support, no multicore support, max internal storage is 16GB, no divx/xvid video support, etc.

You say :

Nobody wants Windows on their phones as it is associated with a bloated, buggy, malware infested OS and a monopolistic Microsoft.

don't you feel like it will happen the same with google and its android?

from my point of view market needs a real open source OS.

For me maemo series was a gift from Nokia.

MAEMO is the unique OS with SOUL.

regards

Posts: 1,583 | Thanked: 1,203 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Everywhere
i dont care about nokia things, maemo and this community(exspecially) and all people around the world deserved better, i just dont get enough when nokia sold N9 with so overpriced one, its hardware and the chipset is two years old behind the competitor, come on nokia, give maemo to others that listening to their customers, and here we go, i give you all some proof

http://www.gsmarena.com/lg_optimus_b...on%29-4037.php

http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_n9-3398.php

LOL, and nokia sold it almost same with sgs2 that had newest hardware, what a shame

long live maemo, we love you, nokia is just cheater, N9 should be a monster and nice comeback if nokia give it newest hardware

i love my N900, its still the best one(for me)

Tags
blame others, deluded fanboys, kidsbeingkids, lumiadork, ms will die, salesdroids, the elop flop, wp blows