Hopefully someone can help.

I can read my N800 with an 8gb SDHC on my desktop running XP MCE, a laptop running Vista and another running Ubuntu. However, the laptop that I need it to work with (running XP Home), is intolerably slow when reading the device. Upon plugging it in, the "Removable Drive(s)" appear, but clicking on it in My Computer freezes Windows. It does eventually enter the folder, but ever so slowly and I know this isn't normal. Even Disk Management in the Control Panel lags when reading the device. After unplugging the USB cord, Windows will "unfreeze". It's not the card that's the problem because it reads fine in my camera when the camera is plugged in via the same USB cord.

Things I've ruled out:

1. Windows being unable to read SDHC over 8gb; it read the card fine through my digital camera.
2. Problem with N800 connecting to Windows; reads fine and fast on my desktop with XP MCE.

Thanks for any feedback.

Edit: Forgot to include that my tablet is running OS2008.

Just wondering, did you download the os updating software from nokia which comes with the right drviers to access the n800?

I found once installing the software the card reading and file tranfering thing went smother.

ebe51,

Do you mean the Internet Tablet Software Update Wizard? IF so, then yes. I updated the OS using my desktop. But I also ran it again on the problematic laptop and it reinstalled the OS successfully.

XP is not (yet) SDHC capable. There is a hotfix that adds SDHC, but that is only made available on request.

That's what I initially thought was the problem. But the card reads fine through my camera.

Anyhow I have solved the problem. The culprit was "Res.exe" (USB Storage Toolbox). I shut it down and voila, accessing the card was zip-zip fast.

Thanks for the input guys.

Posts: 1,310 | Thanked: 820 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Irving, TX
Originally Posted by sevo View Post
XP is not (yet) SDHC capable. There is a hotfix that adds SDHC, but that is only made available on request.
Not sure why WinXP would need to be SDHC capable? I can read/write on SDHC cards when mounted inside the N800 and connected via USB cable to a Win XP PC... no problems. Also, the same works when I put the SDHC cards to external USB card reader and connect directly to Win XP PC USB port...

AFAIK, only the SDHC card controller (either N800, or the USB card reader) needs to "know" the SDHC, after that point the the protocol is just a standard "Mass Storage Device" what the Windows use to access the "drives".

Posts: 157 | Thanked: 96 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Oxford, UK
I think WinXP only needs to be SDHC capable if you are putting your SDHC card directly into a card-reader or have a laptop with a builtin-in SD card slot. When accessing the card in another device (such as my n810), Windows sees it as an external disc drive, but not specifically as an SD card.

The Following User Says Thank You to Duncan For This Useful Post:
Nothing happens when I plug my N800 into my PC. I was expecting it to turn up as a mass storage device. It shows it's connected via the PC but just thought maybe the N800 didn't support this feature. I have 2x 4GB cards installed in the N800.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by Duncan View Post
I think WinXP only needs to be SDHC capable if you are putting your SDHC card directly into a card-reader or have a laptop with a builtin-in SD card slot. When accessing the card in another device (such as my n810), Windows sees it as an external disc drive, but not specifically as an SD card.
Bingo.

As far as XP is concerned, if the card is mounted in another device, only the "disk" formatting (FAT32, et al) is an issue. The SDHC aspect is hidden by the data transport.