Active Topics

Posts: 102 | Thanked: 140 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Israel
Hi,
This appears to be a bizarre issue but I think someone out there must have also run into this, so here goes:
Some corporate networks (like my workplace's) are heavily firewalled, allowing only traffic on certain ports (http, ftp etc) with everything else blocked.
When Facebook set-up their chat XMPP access they had apparently thought of that and set-up chat.facebook.com on port 443 (as well as the default 5222), although they apparently never published the information (I found that out just by testing).
Up to PR1.2 you could therefore easily connect to facebook chat from your workplace: Go to settings --> VoIP and IM accounts --> Click your facebook profile --> Advanced Settings --> Change port to 443 and confirm.

With PR1.3, however apparently Nokia have created a special configuration UI for facebook (until PR1.2, the jabber configuration UI was used) that does not have the advanced settings button - no means of changing the port number! That sucks.

To overcome this problem, we need to revert back to using the jabber configuration UI for facebook. Here's how to do that:

1. Open the following file in your favorite text editor:
/usr/share/osso-rtcom/facebook-chat.profile
2. Look for the following line:
Code:
ConfigurationUI = facebook-plugin
3. Change it to read as follows:
Code:
ConfigurationUI = jabber-plugin
4. Save the file. IMPORTANT: If you want to make a backup copy of the file, make sure it is NOT in the same folder!
5. Repeat steps 1-4 for the following file too:
/usr/share/osso-rtcom/voip-support/facebook-chat.profile
6. Go to /usr/lib/libaccount-plugins/
7. Delete or move the file libfacebook-plugin.so.0.0.0 to a different folder.
8. Delete the symlinks libfacebook-plugin.so.0 and libfacebook-plugin.so to the removed file.
9. Reboot.
10. Enter the facebook settings and you will now have the advanced settings button again.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to NiQ For This Useful Post:
Found another way of doing this, which fortunately also allows connecting to Google Talk and OVI Chat from firewalled networks.

First modify all the required settings (user/pass) etc as usual. This is required because changing settings via the GUI also resets the changes we're gonna make so we have to make the GUI configuration first.

Now open a shell. If you don't have mc-tool installed then install it using the following command as root:
Code:
apt-get install libmissioncontrol-utils
Now list all available IM accounts using the following command (run mc-tool as the regular user, not root):
Code:
mc-tool list
Your Facebook connection will look like:
Code:
gabble/jabber/<user>_40chat_2efacebook_2ecom0
Google Talk accounts will look like:
Code:
gabble/jabber/<user>_40gmail_2ecom0
(or something similar that include Google's or Gmail's name)
OVI chat accounts will look like:
Code:
gabble/jabber/<user>_40ovi_2ecom0
I'll refer to the whole string as the connection name.

To be able to connect to Facebook chat from a firewalled network run:
Code:
mc-tool update <facebook connection name> uint:port=443
To be able to connect to Google Talk from a firewalled network run:
Code:
mc-tool update <gtalk connection name> uint:port=80
To be able to connect to OVI chat from a firewalled network run:
Code:
mc-tool update <ovi connection name> uint:port=443
mc-tool update <ovi connection name> bool:old-ssl=1
mc-tool update <ovi connection name> bool:ignore-ssl-errors=1

Enjoy!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NiQ For This Useful Post:
Maybe when you want to add Facebook chat and you are on site that requires 443, you need to add it on a site that also allows the default 5222. Or yo ucan try to add the Facebook account when all accounts are set offline. See this threads for details: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?p=1320227

I have no idea why this has happened to you. For me Facebook now works fine. There's no need to add a second account for the default port 5222 because afaik there shouldn't be anyone blocking port 443 yet allowing port 5222.