Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 605 | Thanked: 1,778 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by SteveYoungs View Post
Could you please change it to local time. Or even make it configurable, but I think using local time makes enough sense to be the default. Take pity on us poor sods living outside GMT... we get confused easy.

Unfortunately I hadn't taken much notice of start up time in previous versions so I can't compare. What I can say (and you probably already know this) is that Camera+ is significantly slower than the stock Harmattan camera.
But if I change it to local time then naming will be screwed up due to time zone difference.

I know start up is an issue. I did some fixes and I still have a bunch of stuff to try/do. It just takes a while

The Following User Says Thank You to MSameer For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by latency View Post
Would it be possible to shoot videos at lower resolutions than the stock camera app offers? I often notice that android and iphone users can send me videos ~20-30 seconds long in Whatsapp while I can only send ~10 sec of video at the lowest resolution available with the stock camera app in Harmattan.

Thanks for this great app.
Why not? I can add that indeed. sounds useful. Only problem is I will have to create an icon that represents the resolution but should not be hard

Currently 3 resolutions are possible: 720p, wvga (screen size) and vga (640x480). Would a 320x240 be good for you?

Originally Posted by marmistrz View Post
What about showing the zoom of the focused area as the preview (or part of preview)? This way I could easily check whether the photo is sharp
But the focus area is not always known. Would pinch zoom in post capture be enough?

Originally Posted by MSameer View Post
Why not? I can add that indeed. sounds useful. Only problem is I will have to create an icon that represents the resolution but should not be hard

Currently 3 resolutions are possible: 720p, wvga (screen size) and vga (640x480). Would a 320x240 be good for you?
320x240 would be very useful, thanks!

The Following User Says Thank You to latency For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by wolke View Post
0.8 is awesome, thanks! 1.8s startup improvement {613ms -> 420ms}, and disabling preview lets me take super rapid pics.

more feature requests:

1) move dynamic state out of config
e.g.: move [fileNaming] => ~/.cache/cameraplus-filename.ini

2) i cant use the hold-camera-button-to-focus at concerts because the focus assist lighting is obnoxious. however, the last show i went to, i focused by tap-screen-and-hold, and this worked precisely as well holding down the camera button. perhaps add an option to settings to do whatever tap-and-hold does instead of searchAndLock() when you hold the camera button, as a workaround for disabling focus-assist-lighting

3) add a persistent global-disabling of flash to the settings, so that changing scenes or modes or restarting doesnt enable it. i would love to set this before a concert, for the same reason.

4) dunno if its possible, but maybe add a viewfinder-brightness setting. i set the phone brightness low sometimes, once again for minimizing light pollution, but its still fairly bright.
1) Why do you want the state out of the config file? It's quite convenient for me to have it all in one file.

2) tap and hold does nothing at all.
However if you tap an area of the screen or drag the focus reticle there then camera will - as you already know - try to focus on that area. If you have the reticle in its place in the middle then camera will not have a region of interest but continuous auto focus is still running. It might be possible to set the region of interest to the middle of the screen but then how do you reset focus back?

I know the assist light is not good always but I really don't have a way to turn it off.

3) flash obeys the scene mode. In fact if you set the scene mode to something different then the layers below can switch it on or off depending on what it "thinks" is correct.

I always thought that I keep the flash setting upon restarting but seems there is a bug. I will investigate that and fix.

4) Sounds like a good idea. Not sure how to fit that in the UI though. I think it should be part of the bottom toolbar but there is not much space...

But really, I tried decreasing the brightness of my N950, pointed camera to a big lamp and it's not really bright at all.

BTW: You have really weird use-cases

i would like if the settings menu were shrunk a little. vertical pixels are really expensive in landscape mode. removing lines of text that give no extra information {like 'image settings' and 'camera settings'} would improve usability.

here is an extreme version:
http://s10.postimg.org/ayxx6hqnd/condensed_settings.png
But how often do you access the settings ?
Most of the important settings are down there within the toolbar. I don't imagine anyone accessing the settings page frequently.

I'd really love to redesign the settings page though. I don't like the current layout but I have nothing in my mind yet. Your mockup is however a bit too extreme

1.8s startup improvement {613ms -> 420ms}, and disabling preview lets me take super rapid pics.
How do you measure the start up time? Your numbers are more accurate than mind

Posts: 79 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ Brisbane, AU
But if I change it to local time then naming will be screwed up due to time zone difference.
It would only ever be an issue for someone travelling through enough timezones to affect their current date on a single day. Now I'm sure that does happen for some people so I guess you do need to allow for it.

The way you have solved this potential issue is to give Camera+ a fixed timezone irrespective of the phone's current timezone, in this case UTC. What I want is to be able to set Camera+'s fixed timezone to that of my own choosing (UTC+10 in my case). I would be completely satisfied if this could only be done via the conf file and happy for the default to stay UTC.

Originally Posted by SteveYoungs View Post
It would only ever be an issue for someone travelling through enough timezones to affect their current date on a single day. Now I'm sure that does happen for some people so I guess you do need to allow for it.

The way you have solved this potential issue is to give Camera+ a fixed timezone irrespective of the phone's current timezone, in this case UTC. What I want is to be able to set Camera+'s fixed timezone to that of my own choosing (UTC+10 in my case). I would be completely satisfied if this could only be done via the conf file and happy for the default to stay UTC.
Or you could relocate :P

Anyway, I will add it as a hidden option

I am sure I will do an "advanced" settings application or view one day

The Following User Says Thank You to MSameer For This Useful Post:
Posts: 79 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ Brisbane, AU
Or you could relocate :P
LOL!

Anyway, I will add it as a hidden option
Awesome! Thank you so much!

I am sure I will do an "advanced" settings application or view one day

How do you measure the start up time? Your numbers are more accurate than mind
'loaded meego sensor plugin' appears almost precisely the same time that the viewfinder appears and becomes available for interacting.

0.0.7-1
Code:
~ $ perl cameraplus-time.pl 
6899ms
6355ms
6029ms
5915ms
6118ms
5963ms
avg over 6 times: 6213
0.0.8-1
Code:
~ $ perl cameraplus-time.pl 
4545ms
4464ms
4586ms
4541ms
4651ms
4509ms
avg over 6 times: 4549
Code:
#!/usr/bin/perl
use strict;
use warnings;
use Time::HiRes qw(time);

sub main(@){
  my $count = 6;
  my $total = 0;
  for(my $i=0; $i<$count; $i++){
    my $start = time;
    open FH, "cameraplus 2>&1 |";
    while(my $line = <FH>){
      if($line =~ /Loaded the MeeGo sensor plugin/){
        my $ms = (time - $start)*1000;
        print int($ms+0.5) . "ms\n";
        $total += $ms;
        system "pkill", "cameraplus";
        last;
      }
    }
    close FH;
  }
  print "avg over $count times: " . int($total/$count + 0.5) . "\n";
}
&main(@ARGV);

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wolke For This Useful Post:
1) Why do you want the state out of the config file? It's quite convenient for me to have it all in one file.
while this sounds like semantic whining, its true that its really not config, its persistent state. this means that if i treat the config file like a config file, im actually messing with the state. the only time this is REALLY important is when backing up and restoring your config file. config should be static and safe to change any time.

2) tap and hold does nothing at all.
i see. yea, its the slight movement of the reticle when i tap-and-hold that makes it seem like it does, because of the autofocus

3) flash obeys the scene mode.
ugh, ok

4) Sounds like a good idea. Not sure how to fit that in the UI though. I think it should be part of the bottom toolbar but there is not much space...

But really, I tried decreasing the brightness of my N950, pointed camera to a big lamp and it's not really bright at all.

BTW: You have really weird use-cases
YAAAY! i would love this feature! however, i dont think it needs to be in the toolbar.

all the lighting concerns are from a single use case: taking pics in a small, dark music venue without blinding the folks on stage or immediately behind you.

But how often do you access the settings ?
not often, i just like to see at a glance what the settings are.

Tags
?where is nemo?, thank you!