Active Topics

Posts: 1,389 | Thanked: 1,857 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel
Originally Posted by ggabriel View Post
That's an unfair assumption - I wouldn't be showing too much if I were Jolla. Hasn't Android copied aspects of the N9 already in one of their many ROMs?
All people want to see the applications and normal work, so to see how it can handle for example multitasking or what applications would they have if they want to buy it.
If someone want to make android with simuliar UI they can do - as there is emulator with SDK as well as at some point they need to sell phone and UI would be revealed. It would be soon enough while it would be fair for future customers to see what they get and not paying money blindly

Originally Posted by ZogG View Post
All people want to see the applications and normal work, so to see how it can handle for example multitasking or what applications would they have if they want to buy it.
If someone want to make android with simuliar UI they can do - as there is emulator with SDK as well as at some point they need to sell phone and UI would be revealed. It would be soon enough while it would be fair for future customers to see what they get and not paying money blindly
But... but... surely that's how it works on any other platform, right? You pay first and then you actually use it and judge it. You may read reviews, play with it brielfly at an electronics store and all that.

I don't think you can copy too much of Sailfish by the SDK, or at least you can copy whatever Jolla wants you to see. I surely hope that they have more surprises. TOH was a nice surprise to me, not that Jolla was the first one with that concept, but it is nice in a mobile phone.

Anyway, like jalyst pointed out and Mikkosssss said, they will make more videos, so patience. You will need to buy the device for a personalised test anyway!

The Following User Says Thank You to ggabriel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 284 | Thanked: 661 times | Joined on Aug 2013 @ Finland
More news from Jolla, by 3T: http://www.3t.fi/artikkeli/uutiset/t...tietoturvauhka
Jolla answers whether there's a security threat in Android compatability.

Q: Can Android malware make calls or send texts also with Jolla phone?
A: The Android runtime environment is an isolated and independent RTE inside SailfishOS. Sailfish controls all interfaces from that RTE to native interfaces in SailfishOS. Making calls or sending texts happens through cellular RTEs, which are in SailfishOS's supervision.

When it comes to Jolla's appstore solution, it was revealed Jolla is cooperating with a large international company with good reputation. The name of the company wasn't revealed yet, but it was said that the company is already providing content to numerous large OEMs. The appstore in question has it's own malware-scanning and app-approval procedures.

It was also revealed that a local security software with customary security features will come bundled with a Jolla phone as they are cooperating with a known internet security company.

Interviewee: Sami Pienimäki, vice CEO and development manager of Jolla.

Last edited by Thoke; 2013-09-28 at 10:15. Reason: typos, grammar...

The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Thoke For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by Thoke View Post
When it comes to Jolla's appstore solution, it was revealed Jolla is cooperating with a large international company with good reputation. The name of the company wasn't revealed yet, but it was said that the company is already providing content to numerous large OEMs. The appstore in question has it's own malware-scanning and app-approval procedures.
Amazon, stskeeps already hinted as much on Twitter a few days back.

It was also revealed that a local security software with customary security features will come bundled with a Jolla phone as they are cooperating with a known internet security company.
Cool.
I wish they'd reveal much more about mapping/navigation soon.
I hope Nokia's given them full access to all their solutions/tech.

I also hope they've done lots of work towards 1 of more open mapping/navigation platforms.
And set-it-up so that it's easy for the community to jump-in & start improving it right away.

Last edited by jalyst; 2013-09-28 at 10:27.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
Amazon, stskeeps already hinted as much on Twitter a few days back.

Not suprised at all if amazon. Its most logical in bussines perspective cause there is no chance they could setup that themselfs... however isn't amazon US company? and Jolla has said SailfishOS is NSA free, yeah right :/

Yet another reason I say: Europe needs to start competition in this area its time setup an competitor to all those big US companys for got sake. But I guess european investors wants theyr money fast grow instead of use the money of european innovations

Cool.
I wish they'd reveal much more about mapping/navigation soon.
I hope Nokia's given them full access to all their solutions/tech.
It would be epic fail if they not using nokia maps.

Last edited by mikecomputing; 2013-09-28 at 11:01.

Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
Not suprised at all if amazon. Its most logical in bussines perspective cause there is no chance they could setup that themselfs... however isn't amazon US company? and Jolla has said SailfishOS is NSA free, yeah right :/
But is this app store for Android applications only or also for Sailfish applications? If the former, then avoiding using Android applications would sort you out NSA-wise.

At any rate, you have to be quite vigilant legally and tecnically if you want to get away from private companies getting to your data.

It would be epic fail if they not using nokia maps.
I used to believe that, but then I saw modrana, which runs in multiple devices and is fairly advanced feature wise, and has been done in MartinK's free time (maybe with some help?). What if you dedicate a team of 2-3 proper developers full time? OSM covers more terrain than Nokia Maps.

I say there are options out there!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ggabriel For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
I highly doubt something based on OSM would be as good "overall" as something based on Navteq.
Google & it's assets aside, Nokia's the largest & most successful mapping data company in the world.
They need apps which hook into 1 of the 3 big players (is it more/less than that now?), but there should also be completely open apps that use OSM -or similar.

and Jolla has said SailfishOS is NSA free, yeah right :/
They were "kinda" telling the truth, as they were probably referring to the non-Android portion of the OS.
Maybe it won't be an issue because of this:

The Android runtime environment is an isolated and independent RTE inside SailfishOS.
Sailfish controls all interfaces from that RTE to native interfaces in SailfishOS.
Making calls or sending texts happens through cellular RTEs, which are in SailfishOS's supervision.
Or maybe that's just marketing fooey....

But is this app store for Android applications only or also for Sailfish applications?
If the former, then avoiding using Android applications would sort you out NSA-wise.
Hopefully it'll be seamless to the end-user, i.e. choose your Android or Sailfish streams etc.
Hopefully you can "switch-off" your Android streams completely if you wish.

At any rate, you have to be quite vigilant legally and tecnically if you want to get away from private companies getting to your data.
+1

Last edited by jalyst; 2013-09-28 at 13:13.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
I used to believe that, but then I saw modrana, which runs in multiple devices and is fairly advanced feature wise, and has been done in MartinK's free time (maybe with some help?). What if you dedicate a team of 2-3 proper developers full time? OSM covers more terrain than Nokia Maps.

I say there are options out there!
maybe but that also depends on country I guess.

I highly doubt something based on OSM would be as good "overall" as something based on Navteq.
Of course I agree, but I like where OSM consumer applications are going, and how quickly they are doing it. I was ready to be disappointed re the maps application, honestly, pretty much like with the camera - but now I discovered more potential... I can happily settle for something similar but better polished to modrana in Sailfish OS, offline maps being the key here, which Google and Apple don't implement properly.

BUT if Jolla is hungry regarding your position at all times, well, the maps application may be rubbish. So let's see what happens :-)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ggabriel For This Useful Post:

Tags
"pretty soon", funniest line, jolla, pipo party, sailfish, tmo red