Posts: 213 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Montreal, Canada
Greetings:

Skype for Linux with Video feature is now available.

Does this mean that soon there will be a version for the N800 with video too?

Here is the link:http://www.skype.com/intl/en/download/skype/linux/

Regards Robert

......*stoked*

I don't think so. Video in Skype for Linux has been available for several months, in beta form. The video requires a lot of processor power, and I'm not sure the N800 can keep up with it. I'm not going to hold my breath waiting on it.

Then why does it work pretty well in GoogleTalk?

Originally Posted by iball View Post
Then why does it work pretty well in GoogleTalk?
I would imagine because Gtalk uses a different codec and differnt libraries more geared toward mobile processors?

Skype, since the eBay aquisition has not be that great in terms of development. Yet at the same time, they curn out a bunch of "features" **coughcoughskypepremium** that are quite puzzling. And this while the purchase cost had to be written down on eBay's books because they simply have not created the revenue stream they envisioned. If they focused more on the actual software then the fluff it would likely have been done by now. I guess they are too busy adding backdoor's to allow legal orgs the ability to listen in in order to "reduce the terror threat"...good gawds!

While it must be daunting task to develop and test for a zillion systems, they have for the most part ignored mobile users. I suspect that there is some significant overhead in their core code. But hey, this is nice to see...

Not sure about the Skype w/Video for Linux beta. Are they doing complies for different processors or just x86?

Several processors, IIRC. I've been using the x86 version on my Eee PC for some time, and it works ok, just cpu intensive, and fairly jerky. You can find it here.

Posts: 479 | Thanked: 58 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Dubai, UAE
This is a question better posed to the guys at Skype