Notices

Excellent! Many thanks!!!

Posts: 197 | Thanked: 145 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Dubai, U.A.E.
@Copernicus. If you are still working on improving the UI or icons, I can be of help. Let me know that bro.

The Following User Says Thank You to BlazingBird For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by BlazingBird View Post
@Copernicus. If you are still working on improving the UI or icons, I can be of help. Let me know that bro.
Well, I've been slowly studying up on UI and icon policies for Sailfish and Android, so I have been making a little progress. I now have tools (like Inkscape) with which I can create resolution-independent graphics, and I know some of the basics of UI layout and such.

My problem, as always, is that I am no artist. While I can generate a complete UI with a full set of icons, I can't really make it look good. So, I could always use help with that.

(BTW, I should note that I'm planning to completely revamp Linguine's current UI; there's no need to just throw raw lists of data on the screen, and I want to provide the ability to refresh (and possibly store) the retrieved newsfeed data...)

well if you are willing to change the look and feel then i can help you out. you must be familiar with yapparis new icon that i designed and some of my suggestions for its UI and a quick reply widget. So i do wanna add my artistic skills as m a professional graphic designer. so let me know if i could be of any help.. :-) cheers.

well if you are willing to change the look and feel then i can help you out.
Ah, well, a lot of my apps are still in flux right now. But, I would say, the app that is crying out the most for a new, more usable UI would be Orecchiette. You might take a look at that one first, and see what you think might be some good design improvements for it...

you must be familiar with yapparis new icon that i designed
I have to admit, I'm not a social media kind of guy. So, I've never actually used Yappari (or, for that matter, Whatsapp). I'll do some reading to try and catch up with the current status of that project...

okay.. cool. what il do is ill install Orecchiette and see if i can come out with some good suggestive design. ill post the same in its respective thread so we can have the discussion. we can start with that for now and later switch to linguine.. :-)

checkout this thread. is it possible if you can make smething like this widget. it would be a great help.

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=95486

@Copernicus,

Where are the app files stored? I don't see a folder called Linguine anywhere.

Originally Posted by ch88xy View Post
Where are the app files stored? I don't see a folder called Linguine anywhere.
The default newsfeeds XML file is stored internally, in a Qt Resource file. If you create your own newsfeeds file, you can put it anywhere you want; then, go to the menu and select "Load Newsfeeds File", and navigate to where it is stored on your device...

The Following User Says Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
checkout this thread. is it possible if you can make smething like this widget. it would be a great help.
Ah, I fought and fought and fought last year trying to squeeze news info into a widget. There are two problems with this: one, it is incredibly painful trying to display multiple sentences of text readably in a widget. Even if you give it half of the screen (as you've done with that yappari widget mockup), it's still not terribly comfortable to read. But, you could in theory get around this by treating the widget as a "window" on the underlying text and allowing the user to scroll through the data. But then we bump up against:

Two, Maemo only provides very limited user interaction with widgets. You can't use any dragging gestures, because those are tied up with moving between multiple desktops. So, you can't flick or scroll the data by hand. Also, you can't let the user hold a button down for a period of time, because long presses are reserved for bringing up the "Desktop Menu". So, you can't scroll the data in front of the user while they are pressing an "up" or "down" button. The only interface available is quickly clicking a button; so, the user would need to keep clicking and clicking and clicking to move through a set of data.

For the moment, I've limited the Linguine widget to simply displaying the info for a single audio or video podcast item. This limits the amount of data needed to be displayed, and when the user clicks on the widget, the podcast is sent to the default media player. So, that makes things very easy. But yeah, I'm quite willing to add more to it, if there's a reasonable way to display the data...

Tags
podcast, rss reader