N9 has the hotspot app that, at some point, sort of worked.

So i wonder: would it be possible to configure the device to connect to one wifi, and create a hotspot (for example with the 5g radio, or even on the same frequency, halving the bandwidth), with a custom network to act as a range extender?

As a very very last resort, if this isn't possible, would it be possible to do so via USB?

Edit i actually remember i did this over USB.. but i don't remember how..

Edit2: After some research, apparently i did usb to 3g in the past.
Wifi seems to be more complicated, as harmattan does not seem to let devel-su user to use iptables.

I found some workarounds that turn the n9 into a socks proxy, but this seems quite convoluted and limited.

I remember someone, however, writing an app to wrap/run iptables.
So i wonder if i could make an app that just enables masquerading from usb to wifi using iptables and the right aegis manifest?

(yes i know someone will ask "why". The reason is that the only spot where wifi signal is good is a spot where i can't put the laptop. At the same time, android devices do not allow to tune wifi txpower, and my android phone gives me headache when i use it this way. N9 has wireless-tools, so i hoped it could be used as a wifi dongle)

Last edited by paoletto; 2024-08-08 at 10:06.

The Following User Says Thank You to paoletto For This Useful Post:
Ok after further research, socks proxy seems the only way. However, somehow it doesnt look like one is ran on my device when i ssh into it after SDK mode enabled.

netstat also shows nothing bound on port 9898.. what am i missing?

Edit: Nvm: nothing is missing. i just didnt know how socks work. All is good :-)

Last edited by paoletto; 2024-08-11 at 10:59.