Active Topics

Originally Posted by lxlmurdoclxl View Post
Sorry for thinking forums were about HELPING one another and not a bunch of self righteous code monkeys who throw their weight around over the internet... you know, cause saying things in person is dangerous...
I did answer your post in one of the other threads you started, before I saw that you shotgun-posted in several forums. Please learn to use forums. NO site anywhere likes people to shotgun-post - you're abusing the site. It's organized as it is for a reason. _One_ post to a _single_ forum. After all, many of us read all the subforums, particularly those members trying to answer as many posts as they can.

With the attitude you're showing above I will be very hesitant to bother even reading any future posts of yours. The other one I replied to may well be the only one.

Posts: 1,107 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Germany
we are in need of the proper and easy way to create a debian package to install it on the device.
Proper and easy are probably mutually exclusive.

I have sympathy for you if your professor expects you to learn this on your own in a very limited time.

Maybe you should print these up in their entirety, bring it to class and hand it to the professor as a 'suggested addendum to the curriculum'.

http://www.debian.org/doc/maint-guide/
http://www.netfort.gr.jp/~dancer/col...pkg-guide.html

(edit) One quick and dirty (and improper) way to make a package is to download a maemo .deb file, extract the contents with "ar x thedebfile.deb", extract contents.tar.gz and data.tar.gz, remove md5sums file, edit control file (rename package, installed size, change or remove dependencies etc), remove postrm file, edit postinst file as needed, substitute your files for the stuff in the usr/ tree, repack data.tar.gz and control.tar.gz, then create your .deb with "ar q mydebianfile.deb debian-binary control.tar.gz data.tar.gz".

Last edited by ArnimS; 2008-04-07 at 16:49.

The Following User Says Thank You to ArnimS For This Useful Post:
ArnimS,

Thanks a lot for the reply.

Yes, i guess our first, (and biggest) hurdle is that none of us have every written or modified a "control" file. I know we understand the process but are a little confused to the real syntax.

I think if we could get the proper control file for our source (posted a page back) we would be able to build the package following the rest of the maemo guide

Any ideas?

Thanks again,
Josh

Scum,

I really appreciate the time you took to answer my question. (no sarcasm) I actually think that pdf of some professors power point will actually help me get this package built. Part of the problem we are having is the lack of identifiers for each man-page. For that, i thank you.

Second, ive done my research, i asked for no hand holding, i asked for advice. I am a pretty chill dude but when someone comes on here just assuming they understand the situation without even asking any constructive questions... its a bit frustrating.

Still, thanks for the response, the PDF really helped.

P.S. i don't have $400 either, the devices we are developing on belong to the school. :P

peace,
josh
Sorry about my rude response, ya know... just the tone in your words and in addition to stress/fatigue.. I'm glad the resources I pointed out for you were very helpful... I generally like to help people....

BTW stil jealous... I actually have never even seen a real nokia IT in real life.... Ha ha, i make it sound like a tragedy... I just need to save *some* money.....

Again sorry about that inconvenience, Assuming your going for a college degree in some sort of Information Technology, but your a real trooper for sitting through a class. Who in the right mind would make you learn these things on a fixed deadline. Deving for open devices should be either a hobby, or a job.... I hope your learning a lot though, good luck on the rest of the project.

Peace2,
Scum

The Following User Says Thank You to scumgrief For This Useful Post:
Posts: 77 | Thanked: 41 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Charlotte, NC
Josh...your PM to me clearing the air was greatly appreciated. You are a class act! Good luck with your project....

ET

The Following User Says Thank You to eetimm For This Useful Post: