Active Topics

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
Originally Posted by binjinx View Post
Followed steps using PQI 2gb 60x card and everything works flawless vs the PQI 8gb SDHC card !!! There a thread for working non working cards?
Yes, please re-read my posts to you #46 and #51 about bunanson thread.

Help Save This Forum
for N8x0/Diablo Users! Register and Vote for Solution #1 on this Brainstorm. (The Solution will let you see New Posts with any threads you choose -- like the N900 and Maemo5/Fremantle threads -- filtered out.) (To understand the Solution better, see these posts #17, #18, and #19.)

Originally Posted by GeraldKo View Post
Laughing Man, I'm replying just 'cause I figure it's lonely, in the midst of the frustration, to post twice over that long a period and not get a response. But I don't know what is wrong, and, as we see, nobody else has offered any ideas either. I can't even tell if your problem arises from the initfs install (in the device) or from the cloning (on the MMC). You won't like this, but all I can suggest is starting from scratch, including the low-level format, doing every step, and reporting here as soon as something doesn't match what's expected.
Yeah, I plan on doing that, however I don't think I can do a low-level format since I don't have an SDHC card reader. Unless I can leave my NIT plugged into my computer and use it as an SDHC card reader? If so, would the low-level format return my partitions to normal? (or would it only read the 256 MB FAT partition I have now?)

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

This is why I explain what everything does in my instructions..

sfdisk formating

what the lines mean are
start,end,type

so
starts at the earliest spot(the begining of the card if this is the first parititon) ends at 300 (by default thats 300 kb.. run sfdisk with -uM to use Megabyte units.. uM get it.) and the 6 designates a FAT filesystem

Here is how I do my 2gig card

... actually just gonna copy and paste from my blog

Start the app with this command

sfdisk -uM /dev/mmcblk0

the -uM means display and accept Megabyte units, and you remember that /dev/mmcblk0 is your internal card

Now once your in there you need to setup 4 partitions.. well really just two but its gonna make you set up 2 empty ones too.. don't worry it will make sense.

I am going to use my card as an example, you can modify fairly easily. I have a 2 gig sd card. I am going to give 356 megs to my first partition for use by the applications for music and files and what not, and approximately 1.6 gigs for my rootfs(where the os and applications go). I am going to show all for lines of entry, then explain them.

,,L

Ok, sfdisk is configured with three items per line sepearted by ",". The first item is the starting point. We leave it blank to use default, or the next point in line. The second spot is the ending spot. In the first line I defined it to stop 356 megs into the card and in the second left it blank because I wanted to use the rest of the space. The third spot is for filesystem type. 6 is a fat16 type and L is a linux partition type(also called a type 83). The last two lines are completely empty because there is no where to start, and no where to end because there is no more space. When prompted to write the information you can type y. Don't worry about any warnings.. its an old format tool and not aware of the advances in linux.

I've tried using your instructions for sfdisk formating as well. It leads to the same problem (booting from mmc will not work anymore). It just stays stuck on the Nokia screen with the blue bar loaded. After a while it reboots and I'm back at the boot menu.

Is there any alternative to low level formating? (don't have access to an SDHC reader).

Edit: I'm going try the directions in your blog Schmot's.
Edit: Same exact problem (I reflashed my tablet and redid everything following your blog post)

I'm beginning to think it's my SDHC card. -_- *sighs* (It's an A-Data 4 GB class 6 SDHC card).

Reading around it seems that it does require a low level format (possibly why it only worked the first time so it needs another one?). So maybe I need to go find an SDHC card reader..

Edit: (this is probably getting annoying now huh..? I apologize if so). Apparantly you can format your SDHC cards with the Panasonic formatter if you just leave them in the tablet and connect the tablet to PC. Off to try again now.

Edit: And it still doesn't work (even gave me the memory is corrupted error like it did the first time I was doing it like the guide stated when it worked.). *sighs*

I could try using my 16 GB card.. but I had originally intended on using my 4 GB for the OS and my 16 GB for external so I could always be loading data into it without much trouble.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Last edited by Laughing Man; 2008-04-16 at 21:14.

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Originally Posted by binjinx View Post
No this wasnt the case with me if you actually read my post you'd see I DID IN FACT LLF with the panasonic tool and another LLF tool I use. I also tried 4 DIFFERENT SD media read/writers (SD and SDHC units) and over 12 different attempts making sure I didnt miss or screw up anything

The PQI 8gb SDHC is just not working at this time. I've tried 2 other cards now a 2gb PQI 60x, and a 16gb Patriot (which I wish was mine cause it def boots fast vs 2gb)
I apologize that I did NOT read your early posts, as Geraldko have been doing an excellent job of helping people. I did 'scan' thru some of the earlier posts of yours, and wondered, how did you do your LLF? Does it take 25+ minutes or does it finish in less than 1 min? Mind to take a look at the version, and tell us what version of Panasonic LLF you are using?

bun

Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
I've tried using your instructions for sfdisk formating as well. It leads to the same problem (booting from mmc will not work anymore). It just stays stuck on the Nokia screen with the blue bar loaded. After a while it reboots and I'm back at the boot menu.

Is there any alternative to low level formating? (don't have access to an SDHC reader).

Edit: I'm going try the directions in your blog Schmot's.
Edit: Same exact problem (I reflashed my tablet and redid everything following your blog post)

I'm beginning to think it's my SDHC card. -_- *sighs* (It's an A-Data 4 GB class 6 SDHC card).

Reading around it seems that it does require a low level format (possibly why it only worked the first time so it needs another one?). So maybe I need to go find an SDHC card reader..

Edit: (this is probably getting annoying now huh..? I apologize if so). Apparantly you can format your SDHC cards with the Panasonic formatter if you just leave them in the tablet and connect the tablet to PC. Off to try again now.

Edit: And it still doesn't work (even gave me the memory is corrupted error like it did the first time I was doing it like the guide stated when it worked.). *sighs*

I could try using my 16 GB card.. but I had originally intended on using my 4 GB for the OS and my 16 GB for external so I could always be loading data into it without much trouble.
Options:

1) Give up and sit at the corner and cry.
2) Somehow get access to a SDHC writer, via neighbors or your working place and perform a LLF
3) Return the card, it is defective, sometimes after many formatting, the card can be ruined for good. They do advertise lifetime waranty though. According to my list, Adata 4 G turbo does not require LLF. Yours is 4G class 6.
4) Send me the card, I will LLF for you and if you wish, will clone the OS for you. No, this is NOT a paid service. It is me helping you, not going to cost you anything. You do have to take the risk the card may get mail lost or whatever. Conditions: I would not be held liable if card mail lost, mail damage, mail this mail that. You do have my word, I will treat it with utmost care.

Hope this helps,

bun

Last edited by bunanson; 2008-04-16 at 23:20.

Well I'm not going do one obviously, it's not how I do things, especially with technology. But as for #2, I have done a LLF though. I plugged my tablet into my computer and did a LLF with the Panasonic SD Formater on the drive that popped up (unless this is wrong?). And it does return it back to the regular size. (So if I had partitioned it to a 256 MB FAT 32 and the rest ext2 the tool returns it back to 3.75 GBs).

It did work the first time though when I was setting up the partitions. It was after I wanted to redo the partitions that I started having issues (such as it not booting up after following the steps). Which is why I tried a LLF.

But I could do #4 if it still refuses to work, it would depend on if you lived in the States or not. Though I think at this point I might just cut my losses and try installing the OS onto my 16 GB card.

Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
...But I could do #4 if it still refuses to work, it would depend on if you lived in the States or not. Though I think at this point I might just cut my losses and try installing the OS onto my 16 GB card.
I am in North Carolina.

bun

Posts: 833 | Thanked: 124 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Based in the USA
Originally Posted by bunanson View Post
Options:

1) Give up and sit at the corner and cry.
2) Somehow get access to a SDHC writer, via neighbors or your working place and perform a LLF
3) Return the card, it is defective, sometimes after many formatting, the card can be ruined for good. They do advertise lifetime waranty though. According to my list, Adata 4 G turbo does not require LLF. Yours is 4G class 6.
4) Send me the card, I will LLF for you and if you wish, will clone the OS for you. No, this is NOT a paid service. It is me helping you, not going to cost you anything. You do have to take the risk the card may get mail lost or whatever. Conditions: I would not be held liable if card mail lost, mail damage, mail this mail that. You do have my word, I will treat it with utmost care.

Hope this helps,

bun
If this is possible is it possible to get an image and clone the image to a card (using a media reader) from a PC? Windoze or Linux?

I lost my USB cable and am waiting for a replacement. The micro USB I found (from a Kyocera headphone charger) does not work, so there is also the possibility I munged my USB port
PLEASE use the Wiki

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
Originally Posted by gemniii42 View Post
If this is possible is it possible to get an image and clone the image to a card (using a media reader) from a PC? Windoze or Linux?
In Windows, you can do it with Acronis True Image ver. 11.

I don't know about Linux one way or the other.

Help Save This Forum
for N8x0/Diablo Users! Register and Vote for Solution #1 on this Brainstorm. (The Solution will let you see New Posts with any threads you choose -- like the N900 and Maemo5/Fremantle threads -- filtered out.) (To understand the Solution better, see these posts #17, #18, and #19.)