Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Johnkzin: what, is there a strike against trying out free programs? If your time is that valuable, I recommend that you hire a scribe to take notes for you.

Otherwise, I recommend that you TRY xournal and maemopad+ and THEN complain about their lacks, rather than writing about what it 'looks like' their faults are.

They BOTH allow you to type text AS TEXT if you want to. It's just faster to sketch notes, in my experience.

@geneven: what, is there a strike against looking at post dates? Or perhaps weren't using Xournal back then; it didn't have text capabilities...

mpad+, of course, did and does support pages of sketches, and pages of text, and pages of to-do-ish lists (and maybe another type) in the tree; but not all on one page, which could be an issue, and last I used it (a while ago, to be sure) it had singularly weak editing and reorganizing capabilities, so I ditched it for Xournal...

Last edited by Benson; 2008-06-05 at 13:55.

indeed, Conan is world renowned for his leet note-taking skillz

The Following User Says Thank You to xer0kill For This Useful Post:
I'm still looking for suggestions that will enable me to share files between my pc and the n800. The "google docs" solution's not good for me, as I often use the n800 where there's no connectivity.

On the PC, OpenOffice places left and right double quote signs (hex codes in the 0x90 range) in the files, so pure text edtors like "notes" can't handle them on the n800.

My best solution so far I thnk is to keep my data in rtf files, and I want an rtf-aware editor on the n800. notecase and (I think) maemopad+ do not handle rtf.

I'm trying to enter the abiword closed beta, but do not know where to send my abiword-request email to get a reply. Suggestions?

Thanks,
-tobyr21

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Originally Posted by tobyr21 View Post
I'm still looking for suggestions that will enable me to share files between my pc and the n800. The "google docs" solution's not good for me, as I often use the n800 where there's no connectivity. ...

There are many ways to txf files betw pc and n800 without connectivity:

1) BT txf for PC with BT; or stick in a USB/BT to PC
2) Physical media txf; take the SD card from the N800 to the PC
3) Connect the PC to the Tablet with USB cable
4) Put the tablet into USB host mode and connect with thumbdrive/flash drive

bun

Posts: 18 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ England
Here are my thoughts on note taking on the N800...

Personally i have tried taking notes on my N800 using the stylus, but i find that writing things with a stylus on the screen is really awkward (as most other PDA's). The most common problem i have is that the stylus slips along the screen, making it very difficult to write properly.

Factor in the bumper bars and well... it's just like going ice skating.

So i think for note-taking out-of-the-box, the on-screen keyboard is the quickest and most reliable option. Still, there is a snag even with the keyboard - it only seems to accept one key press at a time, so i have to peck the keys very slowly to make sure everything gets entered correctly.

So for ultimate speed and reliability, you really need to use an external keyboard ( which consequently means you have another piece of kit to lug around).

Of course, even with its flaws i find note taking on my N800 infinitely easier than on my mobile phone.

Bunanson and JamesU, you're not paying attention. My question is, how do I edit files on the n800 that contain characters in the range hex 80 to ff ?
My PC editor uses two of those codes for double quotes, and the notes program on the n800 strips them.
"rtf" format is a good way to preserve these codes, but what program on the n800 edits rtf? (Abiword will, but I do not know how to get into the closed beta for Abiword os2008. suggestions?)

Thanks,
tobyr21

Posts: 221 | Thanked: 182 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Central Illinois
Originally Posted by tobyr21 View Post
On the PC, OpenOffice places left and right double quote signs (hex codes in the 0x90 range) in the files, so pure text edtors like "notes" can't handle them on the n800.
Okay, I admit that I'm not suggesting a good solution to your problem, but have you considered configuring OpenOffice so that it uses "standard" quotes rather than left/right quotes?

I'm using OO.o v2.3 on Linux. I go to "Tools->Auto Correct...", then select the "Custom Quotes" tag and uncheck both "Replace" checkboxes. That gives me regular quotes in my docs.

The Following User Says Thank You to terrencegf For This Useful Post:
Snoshrk - could you be more specific? Sourceforge download page for notecase has no notecase files labeled for any Nokia tablet model, in version 1.9.1 or 1.8.8 at least. What is the actual file name for the n800 version?

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
It's the .deb file in downloads with both armel and os2008 in the file name -- I just tried it to make sure.