Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 334 | Thanked: 55 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Eastern Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted by geneven View Post

I think they have wireless in Canada. I know they are behind us Americans, but they may have achieved at least that.
No, we don't have wireless up here so you should just stay south of the border.

Please.

I've always been able to find an open hotspot in my travels to quickly download a route in a pinch if need be using Maemo Mapper. Otherwise I just download the maps of areas I know I'm going to be in will just eyeball my location...beats a paper map and I can usually find my way pretty easily without needing to have routes preloaded. But hotels, rest stops, coffee shops now a days seem to offer wi-fi and a good portion of them are open and that even includes in Canada!

I think they have wireless in Canada. I know they are behind us Americans, but they may have achieved at least that.
I'm assuming you're being sarcastic...Canada has better broadband penetration then the US!

Posts: 334 | Thanked: 55 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Eastern Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted by bac522 View Post
I'm assuming you're being sarcastic...Canada has better broadband penetration then the US!
No it doesn't. Everything is crap up here.

As geneven says we are way behind Andorra and Estonia. Americans like him would hate it up here. It is just bears, beer and back bacon.

There is no free GPS navigation like you want anywhere. The mapping data is proprietary, and costs money. Maemo Mapper is a nice program, but it uses free maps and routing from the internet. That's why it's free. I have mapping software on my Palm, and I also have a standalone mapping GPS, but neither was free. Maemo is rather limited, and there aren't even any paid apps that do what you can get on other platforms. Free is nice, but don't expect great things from it.

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Can you spare $99? You can have this, http://www.buy.com/prod/nextar-x3i-3...207910911.html,

and if you are new google customer, it will cut $10 to $89, shipped. No monthly subscription and does NOT require internet accesss for its use, only good at US/Canada.

I use maemo mapper with N810 tethered to my Treo650 by default. My mrs think the setup is way too complicate for her 'brain' (?!):

1) turn on the N810
2) turn on the Treo650
3) click maemo mapper.

I love her too much and do NOT want to see her suffers from permanent brain trauma (Hey you all see that young woman talking on the camera that she put on her victoria secret underwear and it somehow shot to her eye and suffered "permanent cornea" trauma and is now suing Victoria Secrets, OMG!), and decided to get her a stand alone GPS and now we will be happily tour to north of the border, where our member dont has warned us repeatedly, that there is no internet access up there, there is only bears, beers, bacon

bun

Last edited by bunanson; 2008-06-21 at 16:35.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
I am coming round to the idea that the N800, though really cool, is not really a do-all device.

I went on many 7-mi jogs with the N800, listening to mp3's but I have suddenly started using that revolutionary device -- the dedicated mp3 player!

I also won't be watching many movies on my N800. It's like having a multi-use knife with you; maybe you could use it for a hammer, but you'd much rather have a hammer! For movies, give me the biggest screen possible.

And maybe a dedicated GPS unit is better than Maemo Mapper, but for my purposes, Maemo Mapper is all I really need.