Notices

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
Originally Posted by fiferboy View Post
Okay, for people who want multiple Personal Menus, let me know if this suits your needs.

fiferboy, this is GREAT. It does exactly what I wanted. It was easy to make the enhancement work, and it works very smoothly. You nailed it again.

THANKS!

Help Save This Forum
for N8x0/Diablo Users! Register and Vote for Solution #1 on this Brainstorm. (The Solution will let you see New Posts with any threads you choose -- like the N900 and Maemo5/Fremantle threads -- filtered out.) (To understand the Solution better, see these posts #17, #18, and #19.)

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
is it anyone else that suspect that will turn into a second programs meny, only more configurable? only thing missing now is the option of sub-menus :P

Posts: 475 | Thanked: 771 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
tso: You are right, this would be a good thing to do within Personal Menu. I could probably make it more seamless, too. Maybe (maybe) even adding optional password protection to any of the configurations.

Sub-menus have been on my todo for quite some time, but it would be a huge change and a LOT of recoding. I will probably get to this after a few more smaller releases.

I also need to add a more intuitive way of adding headings. People who don't read this thread often don't figure it out. I have a few more little ideas as well.

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
Maybe (maybe) even adding optional password protection to any of the configurations.
YES! If one of the swaps could be password-protected and the other not -- that would be perfect.
Sub-menus have been on my todo for quite some time, but it would be a huge change and a LOT of recoding. I will probably get to this after a few more smaller releases.
Much less important to me now that there's the swap. But I know, that's just me.
I also need to add a more intuitive way of adding headings. People who don't read this thread often don't figure it out. I have a few more little ideas as well.
What do you mean about "adding headings" -- what are you referring to?

Help Save This Forum
for N8x0/Diablo Users! Register and Vote for Solution #1 on this Brainstorm. (The Solution will let you see New Posts with any threads you choose -- like the N900 and Maemo5/Fremantle threads -- filtered out.) (To understand the Solution better, see these posts #17, #18, and #19.)

Posts: 475 | Thanked: 771 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
GeraldKo: If you add an entry with a name but a blank executable (icon doesn't matter one way or the other) it is a heading, and is displayed differently (no icon, defaults to bold text but you can change the colour or font however you want)

The Following User Says Thank You to fiferboy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 395 | Thanked: 137 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Boone, IA
Help,

I followed your instructions to no avail...

Swap from within PM would not run (execution failed) unless I had the option run as root checked. With run as root it would say "swap" starting...but then nothing after the notification went away.

On the assumption that I have hosed the .personal_menu.rc, what should be in this file to start with.

PM 0.7-6

Thanks

N800 (retired...soon to eBay)
Favorite Apps: CommunitySSU,DiabloTurbo, Flipclock, Keepnote, Dialcentral, Gizmo5 ,MediaBox/pyFMradio, Telescope,Diablo5 theme, Tear, Personal Menu/Launcher, OMWeather,Blubbels, Advanced Power/Backlight...now to play with Garnet6...

Snoshrk: try running your script from the terminal and see what the output is. Try:

Code:
/home/user/pm_swap.sh
Assuming you named it the same as mine.

Posts: 395 | Thanked: 137 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Boone, IA
Ok::I looked in the pm_swap.sh :: so much for being lazy and using NotePad++ on my desktop to create the script. Nothing like an extraneous ^M at the end of evey line.

I removed the ^M s and ran the script from the terminal. OK it works from the terminal...but not from the PM on the desktop?

Never mind... dXXm auto capitalization in the executable line.

Thanks fiferboy for your quick response and for a most excellent menu!

Matt

N800 (retired...soon to eBay)
Favorite Apps: CommunitySSU,DiabloTurbo, Flipclock, Keepnote, Dialcentral, Gizmo5 ,MediaBox/pyFMradio, Telescope,Diablo5 theme, Tear, Personal Menu/Launcher, OMWeather,Blubbels, Advanced Power/Backlight...now to play with Garnet6...

Posts: 209 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Fishers, Indiana
I upgraded to Diablo yesterday and while everything seemed to go relatively smoothly except for the automatic application reinstall (expected). I have ran into one major problem with Personal Menu though: I have a existing personal menu rc file and despite various changes to it via the configuration tool or vi, I am never able to get PM to display the contents. Clicking on the PM icon gives me a single line:
"Create your personal menu!"
Clicking on it brings up the expected configuration tool and all of my entries are there intact. I don't have any >, <, or & characters either and even after starting with a fresh installation and renaming the old configuration file it still does the same thing. It saves all changes but never shows them from the launcher icon.

Any ideas?

Larry

Larry, that has never happened to me and I have been running Diablo for weeks. I just did the official Diablo upgrade yesterday, and everything is still fine. Try checking the permissions of your config file:

Code:
ls -al ~/.personal_menu.rc
And make the the user ("user") and group ("users") are correct. Otherwise, maybe a reboot will help?