I should never have installed Devicescape. I tried to remove it, but it says unable to remove. I went into xterm and did an apt-get remove and then I used nano to edit the catalog out, but the dang broken program is still showing up in Application Manager.

Is there a way to just edit the list of programs so it doesn't show up in Application Manager as a broken program? I don't care if it takes up some space, I'm just too anal retentive to see it there and I'm a few hours away from flashing my device again.

Thanks!

Last edited by TabulaRasa; 2008-07-24 at 18:31.

Posts: 134 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ New Jersey
Whenever I can't uninstall an application, it's because there are other apps that depend on it. They should be listed in the details when it tells you you can't uninstall. (For instance, I couldn't uninstall Canola until I uninstalled the Canola blue theme. This was a temporary uninstall, btw... it's back on my IT again now.)

See what other apps lean on your broken one and try uninstalling them first. You should be able to go back and install the ones you truly need afterwards.

DF
MP3: Insignia NS-DV4G or IT/Canola

That's what you would think, but nowhere is it showing me the dependencies. Other threads here seem to indicate that this is a messy application requiring some editing to remove the artifacts. I am hating myself right now for installing devicescape. Am I so lazy that I can't enter a password? What's my problem? hehe.

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Look into the methods in purging powerlaunch. same methods (albeit different package name) apply.

did you try apt-get -f install?

Or better yet.. apt-get -f remove
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

The Following User Says Thank You to fatalsaint For This Useful Post:
Yup. Still shows up in the application manager. It's not like the end of the world, but annoying.

Posts: 63 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Chandler, AZ, USA
dpkg remove -f devicescape i believe

dpkg --purge
is better, as it also takes away the package's configuration files etc.

Posts: 234 | Thanked: 40 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Cincinnati, Ohio USA
As a last resort, you can manually remove the .desktop file. View it first, and see what it leads to (some devicescape application file). Go remove that, then delete the remove the .desktop file. This would leave any 'baggage' of dependancies it installed but it would get it out of sight from your application list.

Unless someone posts below that this isn't a good idea. I did this to get rid of the skype and gizmo installers that stay there after they are installed. Same with some of the games.

Well looking at http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...&highlight=ssu I don't think that's a problem

Last edited by D'ohboy; 2008-07-25 at 12:35.