hi everybody,
I would like to buy a nokia N810. I'm from italy but in this moment I'm staying in the USA. Are there difference between american and europe device? If I buy it in the USA could I find some problems to use it in italy?
tks

federico

Posts: 226 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Poland / Bialystok
Mine works in Poland.
Bought in USA.
Both n770 and n810 - no WIFI related problems (the only thing that I can think of in terms of differences).

Posts: 19 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Cologne, Germany
There's no difference - apart from the keyboard.

Mine is from New York as well, therefor I have an US keyboard layout. I understand that the local shops here in Germany would offer a localized device.

The rest is completely location agnostic, as far as I know. WIFI is obviously, so are the other features. I hope you don't think that the N810 is a PHONE, since that would be the most probable cause for problems (different frequencies, standards in the US and here).

Short version: Go ahead, buy it and save a bunch of money.

Originally Posted by borgofede View Post
hi everybody,
I would like to buy a nokia N810. I'm from italy but in this moment I'm staying in the USA. Are there difference between american and europe device? If I buy it in the USA could I find some problems to use it in italy?
tks

federico
probably would just need a conversion plug and that's about it since the power adapter is 110/240V.

Posts: 19 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Cologne, Germany
Good call, actually that was true for mine as well. Since he Nokia connector is a "standard" one for recent Nokia phones though I never really cared about that (I have a bunch of those) and for those traveling a lot an adapter is probably a requirement anyway.
Forgot about the difference in V, really.

Posts: 95 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Miami & London
Originally Posted by darklajid View Post
There's no difference - apart from the keyboard....The rest is completely location agnostic, as far as I know. WIFI is obviously...
This is not entirely obvious, because a greater number of WiFi channels (13) are available in Europe than in the USA (11). See here, paragraph title "limitations"...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wi-Fi

This means that if a European access point were configured to use channel 12 or 13 it would be invisible to a USA device which did not recognize channels above 11. As a practical matter I do not know if the N810 radio used on USA models works with those channels, but perhaps someone can find this information?

Actually, my Acer laptop, bought in Europe, also cannot access WIFI channels 12+13. But I think it is very rare that an accesspoint will use those channels. And private open routers always use channel 6

The Following User Says Thank You to Rider For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by sparkling View Post
This is not entirely obvious, because a greater number of WiFi channels (13) are available in Europe than in the USA (11). See here, paragraph title "limitations"...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wi-Fi

This means that if a European access point were configured to use channel 12 or 13 it would be invisible to a USA device which did not recognize channels above 11. As a practical matter I do not know if the N810 radio used on USA models works with those channels, but perhaps someone can find this information?
I'm using a n800 from the US in Europe and I can confirm that it won't see access points on channel 12 and 13. Is there any workaround for this?