Posts: 58 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Vienna, Austria
I know, we arleady talked a lot about it.

But I'd like to discredit the legend of N810's GPS crappines.

True, getting a fix may be though sometimes (better with aGPS), but once it has one, it keeps it even in damn hard situations.

I placed the holder in a very low part of the car, below the radio, and I never never lose the fix.
Some days ago I made a long mountain trek with the tablet in a jacket's pocket, and the fix was always there.

Therefore I would say the GPS receiver is very good. It has some problem getting the fix that may be due to driver/software more than hardware.

Umberto

Posts: 50 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ New York
I have to say that I haven't experienced any problems with internal gps of my N810 either. Getting a signal has always taken less than 1 minute for me. And yes, I do use agps.

Posts: 678 | Thanked: 197 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ San Jose CA
lucky guys!

Mine took 5 min!

Posts: 1,101 | Thanked: 1,184 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Spain
On sunny days, 1 minute. If it is foggy and snowing, can't get a lock.
Weather matters a lot.

the trick is to update agps first = then exit agps and then enter map application (or maemo mapper) and viola lock w/i2 minutes here in suburban chicago

Posts: 367 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Brooklyn, NY
Well, I am having the worst luck since I updated flash and cloned to sd. I haven't been able to get a fix. I've tried running agps several times and then maemo mapper and still nothing. I just can't understand what the problem is. And apart from that, after maemo mapper search for gps receiver a couple of time it just shuts down by itself.

Any suggestions? Thanks

Posts: 610 | Thanked: 391 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ DC, USA
Originally Posted by umberto_soprano View Post
getting a fix may be though sometimes (better with aGPS), but once it has one, it keeps it even in damn hard situations.
Tracking does not require as high of a signal strength as acquisition, so that is not altogether unexpected.

the best way to fix it is to go to the cache log file explained in another thread and delete the file-after that 1 minute

Posts: 367 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Brooklyn, NY
Originally Posted by FRZ View Post
Well, I am having the worst luck since I updated flash and cloned to sd. I haven't been able to get a fix. I've tried running agps several times and then maemo mapper and still nothing. I just can't understand what the problem is. And apart from that, after maemo mapper search for gps receiver a couple of time it just shuts down by itself.

Any suggestions? Thanks
Ok, so I fix my problem. I had the wrong gps settings for the receiver. It suppose to be on bluetooth but, I had it on the second option. My bad. Its all back to normal now. I reset agps to my nearest location and started maemo mapper and got a fix in about a minute or so.