Active Topics

Notices

Ugh...have yet another problem. MM is no longer talking with my GPS and when I go into "Settings" everything under the GPS tab is greyed out except "GPSD Host". I don't have gpsd install on my device...I don't believe...and besides before I upgraded I was using the bluetooth setting.

Any recommendation on how to fix? I tried uninstalling MM, delete .maemo-mappper directory, then re-install, but it didn't work.

Man, this version upgrade is causing some problems for me. Again this is on the 770 with OS2006.

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
Originally Posted by Snake View Post
Well, where I'm waiting for my N810 I try Maemo Mapper 2.6.2 with my N770 OS2006. So I'd like to load some maps I can use with N770 and N810 later. Because I think it should be easier to download the maps on PC and copy to the IT I have tried WinMapper (updated 03.19.2009). After a short time I got a file named "-Google Street.db" and moved it to the IT. On MM I created a new map repository with the new file as cache file. But I only get a black map. There are some special steps needed?

Regards,
Frank
Frank, I think you're making life hard for yourself. It's really easy to download maps directly into MM -- have you tried it? See my post #4 in this thread (and the posts above it for context).

Help Save This Forum
for N8x0/Diablo Users! Register and Vote for Solution #1 on this Brainstorm. (The Solution will let you see New Posts with any threads you choose -- like the N900 and Maemo5/Fremantle threads -- filtered out.) (To understand the Solution better, see these posts #17, #18, and #19.)

After a short time I got a file named "-Google Street.db" and moved it to the IT. On MM I created a new map repository with the new file as cache file. But I only get a black map.
Did you notice that the readme file said to run the Download multiple times to make sure it got everything? The first time I ran it, it went for a long time but the resulting db file was very small. Second time around I'm up to half a GB.

BTW, WinMapper didn't have a choice for OpenStreetMap, but I assume the URL could be copied from MaemoMapper into WM's repos.txt file.

Having lots of problems with WinMapper(03.19.2008). First of all, the file it saves has a db extension. Is that the right one for sqlite in Maemomapper?

Next, I'm downloading Google Street, zoom levels 4, 7, 10, 13 for the whole US. My initial attempts were mentioned above. My third & fourth attempts have resulted in Windows throwing up the "Lock Computer" dialog (after hours of downloading on a slow broadband), which I've never seen before. When I click OK, Windows gives me a thread initialization error for winmapper. I try to open Task Manager and I get an application failed to start error . I can try to be more precise, but it certainly seems like runaway resource usage. And after all that, my "~Google Street.db" file hardly grew at all.

Maybe I should follow GeraldKo's advice, but I hate to tie up my n810 (OS2008) with such a large download and possibly overflow my memory card (I don't trust Maemomapper's download size estimates). Thanks to any who can shed light &/or assist.

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by buurmas View Post
Having lots of problems with WinMapper(03.19.2008). First of all, the file it saves has a db extension. Is that the right one for sqlite in Maemomapper?

Next, I'm downloading Google Street, zoom levels 4, 7, 10, 13 for the whole US. My initial attempts were mentioned above. My third & fourth attempts have resulted in Windows throwing up the "Lock Computer" dialog (after hours of downloading on a slow broadband), which I've never seen before. When I click OK, Windows gives me a thread initialization error for winmapper. I try to open Task Manager and I get an application failed to start error . I can try to be more precise, but it certainly seems like runaway resource usage. And after all that, my "~Google Street.db" file hardly grew at all.

Maybe I should follow GeraldKo's advice, but I hate to tie up my n810 (OS2008) with such a large download and possibly overflow my memory card (I don't trust Maemomapper's download size estimates). Thanks to any who can shed light &/or assist.

Either way you are likely to get the same results using Googles repositories. Many report that they do not work anymore and return just blank pages. When I try one I get the same results.

The new WinMapper does not appear to output to Sqlite... at least it hasn't worked for me.

Your best bet is to use the VE or Yahoo repositories and down load just one zoom level at a time using the tablet. I also imagine that requests are logged by their servers and large hits could get their attention. VE and Yahoo might then do what Google has apparently done, and somehow block our access.

You may also find that the continental US at zoom 4 is a bit ambitious. I suggest downloading zoom 4 maps from a series of smaller regions.

I don't think you are having problems with Maemo Mapper v2.6... a new 2.8 GB (and still growing) Hybrid Sqlite3 file is working as advertised on my N800.

Posts: 18 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Germany
Originally Posted by GeraldKo View Post
Frank, I think you're making life hard for yourself. It's really easy to download maps directly into MM -- have you tried it?
Yes I've tried it and it works good - if I load only a small area. But I want to cache whole Germany with zoom levels 8,10,12,14 on VE Hybrid and Google Streets and some areas with levels 4 and 6 too.
For saver work I download all levels separately (to one cache file).
Well, 12 and 14 are fast without trouble. But on lower levels MM is closing itself after short time of download. (all on N770 OS2006)

Maybe I should wait for my N810 and try it again.

Thx & regards,
Frank

Yes I've tried it and it works good - if I load only a small area. But I want to cache whole Germany with zoom levels 8,10,12,14 on VE Hybrid and Google Streets and some areas with levels 4 and 6 too.
For saver work I download all levels separately (to one cache file).
Well, 12 and 14 are fast without trouble. But on lower levels MM is closing itself after short time of download. (all on N770 OS2006)

Maybe I should wait for my N810 and try it again.

Thx & regards,
Frank
Yes, you're trying to download much more than I have. If I try to download a whole bunch at a time, I have the same problem, on my N800. So I think the N810 would have the problem, too. I just have the whole US at, I think, 14, a few states down to 12, and two cities down to 4 (4,5,6,8,10,12). Then I have two additional folders with about the same arrangements, for two other countries.

Originally Posted by YoDude View Post
Either way you are likely to get the same results using Googles repositories. Many report that they do not work anymore and return just blank pages. When I try one I get the same results.

Your best bet is to use the VE or Yahoo repositories and down load just one zoom level at a time using the tablet. I also imagine that requests are logged by their servers and large hits could get their attention. VE and Yahoo might then do what Google has apparently done, and somehow block our access.
I'm having no problems downloading Google Street Maps, so I don't think Google is blocking anything. The way I'm set up, I don't think I'm using the SQLite format, and maybe that's the issue. (I think I'm still on the old format because I start new maps by copying a folder I set up pre-SQLite that has the whole world at Level 16, and then adding to that.)

Wasn't there a way in Maemo Mapper to set POIs, in the past? What I mean is to click on a point on the map and get a pop-up to set a POI and give it a label. Something like that. I'm certain I've done that in the past, because I have a number of POIs (entered by me) in my old maps already.

But I can't find a way to do it, not even with the 'help' function. I can only find options for importing, exporting and browsing POIs, and that's not what I want to do.