You need a certain number of posts to send PM's. It may be like 15 or 50. Something like that.

Author of TouchSearch -- web searching software for Maemo 5.

Mobile Device lineage: Palm Z22 -> Palm TX -> Nokia N800 -> Nokia N900

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Looks like I've got the hosting thing solved. More details soon! Thanks all!

to qole.
Hi. May be I lost something, but i'd read all posts, and even after your blog i can't EasyMer to run. I got big bz2 and gtar it, then set it to SD. Install your updated chroots. From menu i can start only OOO3 and Debian Chroot, that's all. From debian chroot "debbie: command not found". I would like to try OpenJDK6, webbrowsers and Mer interface. Would be great to see improved "how to start".

i did not find interface views, but got running Midori and OJDK without "debbie" word from chroot, just "midori" and just "javaws" (i needed to run JWS program).

It strange, but on EasyDebian JavaWebStart was more fast than on EasyMer. But on EasyDebian my required application from Oanda won't login, because of fault proxy and rest support in Netx, and with EasyMer it start, login and trying show account details... then nothing happens, it won't load the rest as charts, tables etc.

Last edited by intery; 2009-04-28 at 15:48. Reason: got it without "debbie" word

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
you use "debbie" from your OS2008 Maemo prompt, not from the chroot.

You may have problems running apps now, because you've been running them as root. This tends to mess up your permissions.

If you are at the root chroot prompt, you need to run "su user -" to get a user prompt, or "su user -c mycommand" to run an app as user.

i tried Mer's openoffice3 and found it much, much slower than easy debian's install of openoffice 2.4. would a 2.4 install speed things up, or are there things at work in mer that makes Openoffice so slow?

I have repackaged the Mer 0.13 release as Easy Mer 013-1. I have installed Open JDK and Flash, I have pointed /bin/sh to bash, I have set up the image's startup script to unbind the /home/user dir and bind /home/user/MyDocs instead (to keep the Mer desktop config files separate from the Maemo ones), and I've added a few other things that are required for my "Easy" images to work.

I am having some difficulties getting the sapwood server to start when the chroot is opened, but I'll try to get that fixed for 013-2. In any case, it isn't terribly important for this release's main purpose; the Mer desktop as Maemo desktop replacement.

There are some (serious) problems with the desktop replacement project too, especially the fact that any Maemo app that requires maemo-invoker will not run under Mer. This means most third party (ie extras repository) apps will run, but most of the official Maemo apps (ie MicroB etc), won't run.

Here are the two big files for downloading. The .deb to actually switch desktops (and give you a maemo menu, battery status + wlan applet) is coming soon.

easy-mer-013-1-img.tar.bz2 (Easy Mer in an image file)
easy-mer-013-1.tar.bz2 (the raw file system for partition users)

Please be patient while I get the .deb made.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qole View Post
I have repackaged the Mer 0.13 release as Easy Mer 013-1. I have installed Open JDK and Flash, I have pointed /bin/sh to bash, I have set up the image's startup script to unbind the /home/user dir and bind /home/user/MyDocs instead (to keep the Mer desktop config files separate from the Maemo ones), and I've added a few other things that are required for my "Easy" images to work.

... most third party (ie extras repository) apps will run, but most of the official Maemo apps (ie MicroB etc), won't run.

Here are the two big files for downloading. The .deb to actually switch desktops (and give you a maemo menu, battery status + wlan applet) is coming soon.

easy-mer-013-1-img.tar.bz2 (Easy Mer in an image file)
easy-mer-013-1.tar.bz2 (the raw file system for partition users)

Please be patient while I get the .deb made.
Thank you Qole for your hard work.
Very much appreciated !

Posts: 607 | Thanked: 296 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Finland
I think "Easy Mer" sounds funny. Chrooting feels now a lot more compicated, when Mer is allready so easy to boot.

The Following User Says Thank You to meizirkki For This Useful Post:
meizirkki: what do you suggest instead? I'm setting up a system that will let the user start up the Mer desktop (while still having access to many of the Maemo apps) without having to create a partition or a bootmenu. Install the .deb, download and extract the image file, and you're ready to go. Don't like Mer? Uninstall the .deb, delete the image file, and you're back to stock Maemo. Any better names for the project?

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Thanks qole, great job
Now, just a silly question: do Easy Mer work like Easy Debian (so we get to use Ooo3 directly in maemo if we want to) or it is a full desktop replacement that runs over maemo?

Tags
chroot, easy debian, mer, testing, ubuntu