Active Topics

I'm looking for a 64gb USB drive that works with the N810. I am considering either the Patriot Magnum 64gb or Kingston 64GB DataTraveler 150 Flash Drive (both around $115 right now).

Can anyone confirm that either of these work or one from the same range but smaller (32gb, 16gb etc)?

I'm planning to use with Canola - anyone have any issues with a flashdrive connected with OTG full of MP3's?

Cheers

Originally Posted by dfinch View Post
I'm looking for a 64gb USB drive that works with the N810. I am considering either the Patriot Magnum 64gb or Kingston 64GB DataTraveler 150 Flash Drive (both around $115 right now).

Can anyone confirm that either of these work or one from the same range but smaller (32gb, 16gb etc)?

I'm planning to use with Canola - anyone have any issues with a flashdrive connected with OTG full of MP3's?

Cheers
Forgive me for giving this a nudge, I posted quite early this morning and many may have missed it. Thanks for any input.

Posts: 15 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Van Nuys, Ca

Cheers
I have a 8gb Kingston Flash Drive (not sure as to the actual model) that works just fine when connected with OTG. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear to work with Canola. There is no way to have Canola index the flash drive in the settings (at least not that I have found). MP3 files will play with Media Player (not sure about any other media players). Hope this helps.

David

The Following User Says Thank You to DPelletier For This Useful Post:
Thanks David. Especially for the info about Canola.
I wonder if that will be addressed in the future? I really like the interface, especially being able to view by album cover.
It looks like I will have to find some other way to take all my music with me. Either another application or another device!
Any suggetions?

Posts: 15 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Van Nuys, Ca
A few weeks back I did send an e-mail to the Canola/Open Bossa web site regarding the issue. I haven't received a response to date (I know that they are a small company and have other projects that take priority over this). I hope that this issue is addressed in the next release. I really like the program. That being said, have you tried MediaBox Media Center? I just tried it out on a couple of mp3s I got the other day. It did display the album art from the ID3 tag. I haven't had much time to play with the program so you might want to give it a try.

The Following User Says Thank You to DPelletier For This Useful Post:

Cheers
I have the 32GB Kingston DataTraveler 150 and it isn't recognized with USB control. It goes into a not recognized loop. The Sony microvault flash drive I have works fine as did some cheap 16GB chinese flash drive, but the Kingston for some reason wouldn't play nice.

The Following User Says Thank You to callanish For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by callanish View Post
I have the 32GB Kingston DataTraveler 150 and it isn't recognized with USB control. It goes into a not recognized loop. The Sony microvault flash drive I have works fine as did some cheap 16GB chinese flash drive, but the Kingston for some reason wouldn't play nice.
That is strong evidence that the 64gb drive will not work also. Thanks very much for this info!

Posts: 900 | Thanked: 273 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Fresno CA USA
The N810 also has troubles with SD card readers. Ultimately an SDHC reader was found that works. I matched it with a short 6 inch cable that keys host mode on the N810. So far every SD card I tried works including an 8GB SDHC. IMHO this may be a safer way to support higher capacity flash. Parts I bought follow:

Targus TGR-SD20 SDHC reader
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=9722060

Cable - microUSB to Female USB A. Automaticaly sets the USB to OTG.
http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...name=H11576-ND
Personal Blog -- 3 Joe's Blog

N810 -- 5.2010.33-1

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fragos For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by fragos View Post
The N810 also has troubles with SD card readers. Ultimately an SDHC reader was found that works. I matched it with a short 6 inch cable that keys host mode on the N810. So far every SD card I tried works including an 8GB SDHC. IMHO this may be a safer way to support higher capacity flash. Parts I bought follow:

Targus TGR-SD20 SDHC reader
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=9722060

Cable - microUSB to Female USB A. Automaticaly sets the USB to OTG.
http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...name=H11576-ND
Fragos, you may recall that both you and I were in this discussion and I did get the cited parts (reader and cable). My problem is that I have well over 32gb of music and there are no 64gb SD cards available (or going to be due to the new SDXD format). So I need a neat 64gb soultion. It seemed that a flash drive was the best bet (although it looks like Canola can't access it).
Thanks for yout input though.

Posts: 900 | Thanked: 273 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Fresno CA USA
Fragos, you may recall that both you and I were in this discussion and I did get the cited parts (reader and cable). My problem is that I have well over 32gb of music and there are no 64gb SD cards available (or going to be due to the new SDXD format). So I need a neat 64gb soultion. It seemed that a flash drive was the best bet (although it looks like Canola can't access it).
Thanks for yout input though.
My bad for fogetting.

PS the N810 has less power available on the USB port than your PC. I don't know if this is a factor with a 64GB memory stick. The problem can be overcome by using an externaly powered USB hub but this isn't much of a solution in a mobile environment.
Personal Blog -- 3 Joe's Blog

N810 -- 5.2010.33-1

Last edited by fragos; 2009-05-28 at 21:47. Reason: add the PS