Posts: 283 | Thanked: 31 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ US Air Force
Thanks SO much guys, @ silvermountain for the definitions and sites @geneven for the site that offers the free, online readable, and priced eBooks, i'm sure if something catches my eye I wont mind paying for it. I'm glad you mentioned the site that allows online reading because I was probably gona ask about that too once I actually got my tablet.

Last edited by jalladin; 2009-06-29 at 08:01.

Posts: 139 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ mid gulf coast florida
check out:

http://manybooks.net/authors/stanleys.html

didn't see "travels through a dark continent"

I have to say that manybooks.net has to be my favorite site for e-books with one caveat....if the book you are loking for has illustrations (manybooks does not offer more than the coover) check to see if there is a project gutenberg choice in the drop down list as they have copies fully illustrated
one other site for "free books that may intrest you is:

http://truly-free.org

he has an amazing selection of books (ok some of them need to be tweaked into a format compatible with fbreader but there is plenty of windows freeware to do this

have fun

Edit: ok the link (to gutenberg) at manybooks to stanley's book no worky....here is the correct link

http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/5157

ofcourse since it appears that this is a non-ilustrated book just grabbing the fb2 from manybooks would be easiest.
(occasionally when grabbing fb2 files from manybooks I get a file with no content...I have found in this situation that hitting the back button three times and renavigating to the book allows me to get a good copy.
I have alerted the site's author about this and neither of us can figure out why this is happening, but I suspect it has something to do with the engine that converts books on the fly not playing nice

Last edited by n9ots; 2009-06-29 at 13:59.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to n9ots For This Useful Post:
Thanks a lot for adding to the free Ebook sites list,

manybooks.net is very nice as it give you so "many" formats to pick from like the ipod notes which i assume is some type of format so you can read it with your ipod... truly-free, like you said isn't the best if you dnt like not being able to see a cover of or getting description of the book first but its still nice to have in your arsenal of "free" eBooks. Thanks again i really appreciate your advice and help.

If any one else would like to just add in a site they go to that hasn't been listed yet please feel free, i am enjoying the input from everyone...

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
OK, what the heck:

http://www.friedbeef.com/best-places...ltimate-guide/

http://finding-free-ebooks.blogspot.com/

This last site recommended two eBooks novels I quite liked. The Penal Colony by Richard Herley -- it's even a published book (apparently made into an appallingly bad movie), and he asks you to voluntarily make an about-$5 (in British pounds) donation if you liked it. I thought that was a cool sales model. I also liked the unpublished Dreamers' Cat by Stephen Leather.

Help Save This Forum
for N8x0/Diablo Users! Register and Vote for Solution #1 on this Brainstorm. (The Solution will let you see New Posts with any threads you choose -- like the N900 and Maemo5/Fremantle threads -- filtered out.) (To understand the Solution better, see these posts #17, #18, and #19.)

The Following User Says Thank You to GeraldKo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 139 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ mid gulf coast florida
If you like SciFi / Fantasy check out:

http://www.baen.com/library/

lots of free books

have fun

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
As I recall, I saw "travels through a dark continent," the whole thing, in Google books.

The Following User Says Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
hey i looked to see and i couldnt find "travels through the dark continent" it just pulled up "through the dark continent" if thats the same book your referring to then i apologize for sounding silly, but what is it about?... I'm trying to expand my genre to other things besides sci-fi, fantacy, poems, adventure, and any thing about alternate life stories... um has any one heard of this program called "power search tool" or "PST" that allows you to download any eBook free. i seen the video on youtube and it seems okay i guess, it is a tool bar app that is made for internet explorer & fire fox so i thought that the tablets version of fire fox might work with this but its just a thought i'm sure you guys would know about something like that if it worked. well here is the link if you wana check out the video on it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPsIg...eature=related

@geneven your are like one of my favorite posters here, I have fell in love with the site you told me about (Wowio) its amazing! i am on there looking up books about all kinds of stuff,the only thing that i would like to see is the amount of books available to become more robust to match the vast verity which is by far the most categories I've seen on an eBook site but its perfect for when i'm at work since we cant go to very many sites due to us being on government pc's and them restricting us from streaming media sites and others,but this site works fine and it gives me something to do while i'm board to death... two of my favorite books are "flexibility eWorkbook" and "breaking out" awesome books thanks so much you'll never know how much enjoyment you introduced me to, its like reading became alot more enjoyable due to it being on the web

Last edited by jalladin; 2009-06-30 at 17:43.

Posts: 1,359 | Thanked: 717 times | Joined on May 2009 @ ...standing right behind you...
Originally Posted by jalladin View Post
hey i looked to see and i couldnt find "travels through the dark continent" it just pulled up "through the dark continent" if thats the same book your referring to then i apologize for sounding silly, but what is it about?...
Through the Dark Continent is the book Stanley wrote about his travels through Africa looking for Dr Livingstone.

It's kinda topical right now with the TV show 'Expedition' playing on the History Channel.
AutoScan, Diablo5 Theme, Dialcentral, DragLock, EmelFM2, FlipClock, gPodder, Headphoned, Knots 2, Maemo Mapper, mPlayer, openNTPD, OpenSSH, Panucci, Personal Launcher, QuickNote, Seqretary, SlideLock, Telescope, YellowNotes

Originally Posted by silvermountain View Post
PDF is an image of a page.
This is not wholly true. Some PDFs are scans of books (like google's), and these are images of pages. These types of PDFs are miserably slow on the NIT.

However, there are PDFs that are of text and embedded graphics (every professionally published one I've owned). And these are a joy to read on the NIT. I really like being able to touch the bottom of the screen and have it page down for me. I think it's better than using the volume rocker the way fbreader does.

I prefer PDFs of books and evince over non-pdfs and fbreader - as long as the PDFs are not of the scanned variety. I mostly read technical manuals with lots of diagrams.

The Following User Says Thank You to MattZTexasu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
Originally Posted by MattZTexasu View Post
I really like being able to touch the bottom of the screen and have it page down for me. I think it's better than using the volume rocker the way fbreader does.

I prefer PDFs of books and evince over non-pdfs and fbreader - as long as the PDFs are not of the scanned variety.
In FBReader you can also touch the screen to go to next page. You may have to select it in preferences.