Active Topics

Poll: Do you consider this Mer release to be day to day usable on N8x0?
Poll Options
Do you consider this Mer release to be day to day usable on N8x0?

Posts: 367 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Brooklyn, NY
Originally Posted by KristianW View Post
Thanks for the quick answer !

Swap :
I did not notice any question about enabling swap during first boot of mer after install.
Of course, I can always start afresh, but :
Is there a way to enable swap without reinstallng ?

Mer is on mmcblk0p3
Maemo is on mmcblk0p2
This maemo uses mmcblk1p4 for swap, and it works still, so I guess it is still formatted.

Perhaps I can't use the same swap partition for maemo and mer ?
Does mer format swap differently from maemo ?
I use my swap partition for both maemo and mer. You might have forgot to select the swap partition during the installation. Mer ask you twice about swap. First during installation when you were selecting what partition to install mer it also ask you what partition you want to use for swap. So then after the installation is done and you have rebooted your device to mer booting for the first time, it will show you your swap partition that you had selected and ask you to enable it. After that it will be set.

The Following User Says Thank You to FRZ For This Useful Post:
Posts: 263 | Thanked: 77 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Sigtuna, Sweden
Originally Posted by FRZ View Post
I use my swap partition for both maemo and mer. You might have forgot to select the swap partition during the installation. Mer ask you twice about swap. First during installation when you were selecting what partition to install mer it also ask you what partition you want to use for swap. So then after the installation is done and you have rebooted your device to mer booting for the first time, it will show you your swap partition that you had selected and ask you to enable it. After that it will be set.
Thanks again !

Well my mer (.15) asked only once, (I'm fairly sure).

BUT : Swap problem solved, I guess.
It seems to have been the known confusion about the numbering of mmc cards in maemo.
When installing mer, I designated mmcblk1p4 for swap.
In mer this same partition seems to be called mmcblk0p4. !!.

So sudo swapon mmcblk0p4 worked, with 0 instead of 1.

Last edited by KristianW; 2009-07-27 at 07:04.

Posts: 63 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Ponte Vedra, FL, USA
This is the first time I've tried Mer, so forgive my newbie excitement, but WOW. That's really nice. Given the original write-up saying not to expect much, I guess I wasn't expecting it to look and work so good/well.

Unfortunately, coming from a relative Linux rookie, it's not ready for day-to-day use, since it's still missing a lot, especially for those less technical with Linux. In dinking around with it, I also frequently reached some dead ends, where I couldn't do anything, couldn't exit, or couldn't figure out how.

I'll keep messing with it, and provide feedback (wherever I can). I think that even though I'm not extremely technical (when it comes to Linux), the feedback I provide should be able to help Mer reach the "fluffiness" level that it will need to be in order to be used on a day-to-day basis.

Oh, and the install....painless. I chose the easy auto method, installing it to my internal memory card, and despite all my fretting, it was for nothing. It was just as easy to install Ubuntu on my notebook PC.

Thanks to everyone working on this! Great work!

-- Chris

Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by KristianW View Post
It seems to have been the known confusion about the numbering of mmc cards in maemo.
Install the Mer kernel before install and that should help.
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

The Following User Says Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Hi All

I have just installed Mer 0.15 on my 770. Crash on first boot. Second boot did work perfectly. Wifi (WPA) works fine.

Overall, this WIP is pretty impressive, I must say. Keep going!

Some bugs (I did not see them in the issues list):

Brightness control does not work
(Del-)Selecting shift on the virtual keyboard is very slow.

Screen rotate is broken: one is left with the nice mer background.

And it seems that the orientation of the screen is saved somewhere: when I reboot, I am stuck now at this point. Where can I change this setting (by mounting the partition from maemo)?

Posts: 263 | Thanked: 77 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Sigtuna, Sweden
Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
Install the Mer kernel before install and that should help.
Thanks Stskeeps ! , but I (new to linux) am not following you.

Mer installer runs in maemo, so how can it's mmc numbering be influenced by a mer kernel being installed outside of maemo ?

Mer inst. guide did not help, I found a kernel there (mer-armel-n8x0-standard-v0.15.zImage), is that the one ?
( Do I just extract it to a fresh ext2 partition, or how do I install it ? )

( Remembering different mmc numbers in maemo/mer is no problem now that I realized it,)
but does your method make other differences ?

( My other question (#58) , can the onscreen keyboard (N810) be prevented from automatically popping up ? )

EDIT :
Comment on mer .
In the settings app, where you can change the ordering of the icons in the top bar,
I once moved the "mer" icon (which gives the apps menu-window) to the right end (bottom in the list).
>> I could not open any apps as only the left half of the apps menu-window showed up at the right end of the screen. Same after reboot.
Could I have avoided a reinstall ?

Last edited by KristianW; 2009-07-27 at 15:32.

Posts: 66 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ near Memphis, TN USA
I did something similar. See post #52 above.

Posts: 367 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Brooklyn, NY
GPEsummary crash my install for the second time. Bummer! After I installed it took forever to finish installing and then give the error message that it couldn't find the todo folder and hang my n810. Does the same thing after reboot and then hangs the device at boot with the blue background. Is anyone else having problems with the gpe apps, todo, calender, summary, etc? I am trying to figure out which one of them is causing the problem. The last time I thought it was the todo app but, I didn't install it this time.

Posts: 462 | Thanked: 550 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Moscow
Some boring post from me
Open hald-addon-bme is really nice, but that package name leads to confusion, so I propose to name it hald-addon-bme-free
So there will be no need to resolve some package conflicts/confusion, because Nokia's hald-addon-bme is not the same thing as Mer's one.

Posts: 308 | Thanked: 62 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Turkiye
can we install that network-manager applet to maemo?

Tags
mer release