Notices

I wanted to what some stable Vector based Map GPS solutions available for my N800. I am looking for something that actually works well with out needing to do any some of fixes / adjustments / tweaking. I want a real GPS type solution with turn by turn direction, address search, routing, etc without needing to be connected to the internet. Of course having maps for entire US, Canada, Europe would be great.

I have already am using Maemo Mapper, but it doesn't come close to replacing a real GPS unit. It has no address directory and only to download entire US is probably 100G of data+! I looked at Navit for bit, but looks like it is take tons of configuration to get it working. I am easy install with having to deal tons of configuration issues!

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
You want something like what comes with a Garmin or TomTom. It doesn't exist. Here are your choices;

http://wiki.maemo.org/Navigation_Tools

The non-commercial vector-based are not as simple as you want. I think there is no more Wayfinder or users were unhappy with Wayfinder -- use my Newbie link below to search (i.e., Google) about it.

EDIT: I may be wrong on Wayfinder -- see Mandibela's post below (#4, #5), But if you use my Google search "for Newbies" in my signature, you can survey users' experiences yourself.

Help Save This Forum
for N8x0/Diablo Users! Register and Vote for Solution #1 on this Brainstorm. (The Solution will let you see New Posts with any threads you choose -- like the N900 and Maemo5/Fremantle threads -- filtered out.) (To understand the Solution better, see these posts #17, #18, and #19.)

Last edited by GeraldKo; 2009-10-09 at 17:22.

Posts: 323 | Thanked: 118 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Australia
Navit can use openstreetmaps binary file for vector based navigation, but its unstable and not really that clean yet. I couldn't get it to find any addresses I searched for either. I am sure it will get there eventually.

EDIT:

What I would like is to see maemo mapper able to use Openstreetmaps vector files with the ability to search for an address via the openstreemap data or google.

The Following User Says Thank You to RipTorn For This Useful Post:
Posts: 270 | Thanked: 195 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by GeraldKo View Post
I think there is no more Wayfinder or users were unhappy with Wayfinder -- use my Newbie link below to search (i.e., Google) about it.
Well I do have the N810 which came with Wayfinder installed. I am still very pleased and use it a lot, almost my primary use for the N810. MaemoMapper too. Both are great because of the internal GPS.
As for the N800 I got nothing, sorry. Maybe exchange it for a N810?

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
Originally Posted by Mandibela View Post
Well I do have the N810 which came with Wayfinder installed. I am still very pleased and use it a lot, almost my primary use for the N810. MaemoMapper too. Both are great because of the internal GPS.
As for the N800 I got nothing, sorry. Maybe exchange it for a N810?
I stand happily corrected on Wayfinder. I remember complaints about the service, but maybe I was mistaken. I'm glad if it's working out for people.

I love Maemo Mapper myself, but the OP started the thread saying why it fell short for him. It's not the same as a dedicated device; in some ways its better, but it really isn't as good for being directed while driving around.

Posts: 323 | Thanked: 118 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Australia
Isn't Wayfinder maps out of date and not updated? I remember trying to use it and i was sitting on roads that it didn't know about, almost 4 years after they were built. wayfinder worked fine aside from this.

I use a cheap bluetooth GPS with the N800, so the lack of a GPS isn't really that important to me, again to others it might be.

Last edited by RipTorn; 2009-10-10 at 01:17. Reason: changed I to it.

The Following User Says Thank You to RipTorn For This Useful Post: