Originally Posted by GeraldKo View Post
Only on this thread, until this post, have I not been using my signature.

(OTOH, I'm not getting on lots of "molotov cocktail" threads because I don't really want to add to them; and I'm not getting on useful N900 threads since I don't have much to add; and so all my stumping is to the little remnant that's left of N8x0/770 users, and we're shrinking/dying breed!)

(You're old enough, I think, Texrat, to enjoy the link I have for "Help Save This Forum ... " )
Yeah I would vote for #1 as it's the best option but registering was a pain and after 5 mins I gave up.

I'm curious. I noticed someone "down voted" every solution except the 2 solutions they like. I personally didn't think a "down" vote was warranted unless it was actually like a negative or "bad" idea. Merely an Up Vote for the one you like seemed the better solution to me... whats the etiquette of brainstorm??? Should I go down vote all the ones that I didn't pick? Or did someone actually think my idea sucked so bad as to warrant a negative mark?

If the latter... I would really appreciate you coming and telling me *why* it's such a bad idea.
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
I agree fatalsaint. I wish we could require that everyone who downvotes to add a reason why.

Oops... that would be an intrusive law.

Last edited by Texrat; 2009-12-22 at 20:05.

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
I agree fatalsaint. I wish we could require that everyone who downvotes to add a reasoon why.

Oops... that would be an intrusive law.
There really needs to be a ROFL smiley on this forums.

I love you Tex

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
Or I wonder if votes should be non-anonymous. (Actually, I'm not sure; are they?)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GeraldKo For This Useful Post:
That is also a system I would support. I would add BOTH the thread star rating and the brainstorm need to be non-anonymous. I actually said this in another thread.. but I don't think people should have the ability to "bad" talk (and yes, voting negative on someone IS bad talking them) without having the guts to say so out loud - but I don't want people to not vote for my solution because they disagree with me here (and I know a lot of people feel more comfortable hiding behind a blanket).

I dunno... Tex - Brainstorm mod.. is it "cluttering" Brainstorm if I make a second proposal that says : Everything in Solution #4 + Non-anonymous brainstorm voting and thread stars? Plus.. I want to go so far as to allow individual posts to have a "Dislike" button right by the Thanks button that operates in exactly the same way. Maybe thats too argumentative?

[QUOTE=GeraldKo;437856]Texrat's Solution #8 sounds fine to me, if that's how people want an additional filter to work, but ...

I'm disturbed that in 35 minutes (or less), Solution #8 has acquired as many Thumbs-Ups as Solution #1 has acquired after a week.*

what goes around comes around... maybe these guys are just too shortsighted to see they're shooting themselves in the foot. next year they could be the ones asking for similar changes. meanwhile some great contributors to maemo, who would maybe have stuck around for the next tablet from nokia, investigate alternatives. of course then there are others like me who still have so much to learn from the archives here that we're harder to get rid of...anyway, thanks a lot to geraldko, texrat and fatalsaint.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wesgreen For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by fatalsaint View Post
I dunno... Tex - Brainstorm mod.. is it "cluttering" Brainstorm if I make a second proposal that says : Everything in Solution #4 + Non-anonymous brainstorm voting and thread stars? Plus.. I want to go so far as to allow individual posts to have a "Dislike" button right by the Thanks button that operates in exactly the same way. Maybe thats too argumentative?
I'll just say this: you're getting in the area of why I like high-level Brainstorms with many fine, detailed Solutions...

Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
I'll just say this: you're getting in the area of why I like high-level Brainstorms with many fine, detailed Solutions...
So.. if I am interpreting you correctly... You would actually prefer it that way? Instead of adding it to my proposal as a "all in one" solution.. breaking it out like this and adding separate ideas into separate solutions (thus allowing people just to vote for the part of the idea they like).. is in your opinion, a better way?

Seriously.. I know nothing about Brainstorm as it's new and I've been gone... I learned just enough to figure out that god-awful mess of a registration process just to propose my solution for votes..

If it were you - using this as an example, would you create 4 separate solutions, one for each idea (dislike button, non-anon stars, non-anon brainstorm) - or would you group them by similar ideas? (main idea, non-anon ideas)?

The Following User Says Thank You to fatalsaint For This Useful Post:
I prefer them split as finely as practical/possible.

The dilemma, then, is getting votes. But seriously, 10 votes per solution should not be difficult to achieve in a forum with hundreds of daily active members. That we do find it difficult points to a flaw in the implementation (eg, sign-on) rather than core idea. But as I showed Gerald, marketing helps overcome even that.

Tags
forum, rules, threads