Posts: 402 | Thanked: 229 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Missouri, USA
Originally Posted by fatalsaint View Post
I try to provide search terms, and sometimes I will provide a link to something useful I found from my own googling.
I would say offered in that format, a request to use google makes even my last reply irrelevant. Now if only everyone who said "use google" gave relevant search terms or clues we would be set.

Edit:
Agreed about the availability of such apps as default, but on N900, only one of them is available via extras (wget). I was just trying to think of commands I use more frequently. As for locate vs find, while I can appreciate that find can do the same thing and a lot more (heck, IIRC find is called from within locate), I am lazy.

As for what a regular user uses, I was thinking about the part of the discussion that was directing users to use google for linux commands.

Last edited by aspidites; 2009-12-22 at 23:42.

Posts: 287 | Thanked: 127 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Sweden
It's like an old saying: Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, feed him for life.
Off-topic: I prefer the Pratchett version of that saying: "Build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life".

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to floffe For This Useful Post:
Anyway, I think that we can all agree that even in this obvious flamebait thread, posted by a known troll, we were able to have a civil and deep discussion. That says enough about the community imho.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ColdFusion For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by aspidites View Post
I would say offered in that format, a request to use google makes even my last reply irrelevant. Now if only everyone who said "use google" gave relevant search terms or clues we would be set.
And I understand your complaint about people who don't. I just personally am someone who has no life and googles all night anyway, so putting those in my post I don't mind. However, after putting those in several different threads - even I get annoyed. Usually, I start by telling them to google with hints. Then I'll direct the next inquisitor to use the forum search and link back to the thread where I offered google with hints. After that, I will either ignore the post completely.. or shorten it to "search the forums". Doing the same thing over and over again is no fun for me. This is not a 1:1 ratio, it's usually entirely up to my mood when I move from one mode to the other.

So as a user, tell me - which is the preferred solution: if I tell you the answer is around, because I have seen it, several times, I just don't remember exactly where and I'm not in the mood to search, yet again, for that location - or if I tell you nothing? If everyone that's ever had to repeat themselves say nothing.. Well - I'd hate to become the Ubuntu forums.

Edit:
Agreed about the availability of such apps as default, but on N900, only one of them is available via extras (wget). I was just trying to think of commands I use more frequently. As for locate vs find, while I can appreciate that find can do the same thing and a lot more (heck, IIRC find is called from within locate), I am lazy.

As for what a regular user uses, I was thinking about the part of the discussion that was directing users to use google for linux commands.
Well yes, and googling for Linux commands will inevitably produce fdisk, but as someone who just got an N900 and I google "linux commands" and I read "This command will repartition you hard drive..".. if I have an IQ at all I'll be like "Ok, I'll come back to that."
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

Posts: 402 | Thanked: 229 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Missouri, USA
I wonder if silence would encourage users to be more independent when trying to solve their problems? That seems to be the way qtcentre.org operates. People will reply if they have an answer, and ignore your post if they either don't know the answer or the answer has been answered numerous places already. I personally prefer silence over a "RTFM" reply. IMHO there is less chance of confrontation As the old cliche goes, "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all."

Well yes, and googling for Linux commands will inevitably produce fdisk, but as someone who just got an N900 and I google "linux commands" and I read "This command will repartition you hard drive..".. if I have an IQ at all I'll be like "Ok, I'll come back to that."
Perhaps being pedantic, but there has been plenty of conversation around repartitioning the N 900 -- one discussing ntfs for large data transfers I believe, which might lead people to this tool. ;-)

That being said, more likely is that the same user, not knowing that he has to enable the tools repo will instead discover cfdisk which is available (I think). That, or they'll see that it is a command line program and say "screw that, where's the gui?".

Originally Posted by OrangeBox View Post
This community is full of egotistical, i-know-it-all type geeks that have no respect for others. Many posters are childish, some are outright immature. Personal attacks, sarcastic remarks and the lack of respect to other members are missing far too often. Being too emotional and in some cases fanatic turns some threads into flame wars. There is so much that we can learn from the iPhone community.

Disclaimer: I don't own an iPhone and don't plan to own one either, but I follow their forums to learn their perspective and I can tell you that they are so much more civilized than we are.

Before you start posting insulting remarks to this thread take a deep breath and check out some of the iPhone forums out there and LEARN that there is a better way.

Peace.
You sir, are a troll.

Posts: 91 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Copenhagen, Denmark
Originally Posted by OrangeBox View Post
Finally someone who actually reads. Did you others not notice that I just signed up to an obscure forum that noone reads? I will not post the same thing under OrangeBox on the official iPhone forum because there'd be cyberstalkers from this forum coming after me.
I just thought that they were a bit wiser than us and just ignored you from the start

Originally Posted by aspidites View Post
I wonder if silence would encourage users to be more independent when trying to solve their problems? That seems to be the way qtcentre.org operates. People will reply if they have an answer, and ignore your post if they either don't know the answer or the answer has been answered numerous places already. I personally prefer silence over a "RTFM" reply. IMHO there is less chance of confrontation As the old cliche goes, "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all."
This has not been my experience. My experience is that if a newbie is ignored... he just talks louder*.

*Bump their own threads, put the same question in multiple places, interject it into unrelated topics, rant, rave, say we have an inactive community, say we're unhelpful egotistical arrogant...... oh wait.

And I fully think telling someone their answer is here on the forums, all they have to do is search for it - is saying something nice. That's my opinion though. Now, saying stuff like "Did you even bother to search before posting?" or other such argumentative phrases, while I understand the frustration, is not the nicest way of putting it.

However, forum etiquette is as much the responsibility of the inquirer as it is the instructor(s).

I'm sure we can both agree posts such as "Your device SUCKS - It can't do XYZ" as their way of saying "Please, how can I do XYZ" - are not helpful either.

Some tips to people :asking: questions - illustrate that you *have* searched for the answer, provide examples of what you found, and why they are *not* what you need. This helps people trying to help you feel like they aren't wasting their time.

There is very little more frustrating for me, than this conversation:
"Please, loving community - How can I do this?" - Wonderful User
"Dear Mr. User, " <- a detailed helpful answer that describes how, why, what, who, etc.. of their question. - Helpful Geek Dude
"So, I just run this command then?" - Wonderful User
"No, I said .." -> further explain the problems around what they are asking - Helpful Geek Dude
"So I ran that command and this happened.." - Wonderful User
"Are you fscking listening to me?!?" - Not so Helpful Geek Dude anymore.
I love helping people that show the capacity and desire to learn.. I hate doing things for people. I don't suspect I am the only one here like that.
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

The Following User Says Thank You to fatalsaint For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Wait. How did I miss that he used the same verbiage at an iPhone site about Android!? Ugh. Not cool at all...

Originally Posted by kryptoniankid17 View Post
ok on to something more interesting. ill be in london next month. you guys know of some good spots to grab a bite?
Hard Rock Cafe serves great burgers and it is the first HRC, where it all started. And take some time to check out the vault downstairs, great stuff on display.

//K

Tags
fatalsaint is funny, known troll, self-fulfilling prophecy