Active Topics

Posts: 635 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Black Mesa Research Facility
Ok, since I've been following this device since September and live in the Czech Republic,
I thought i could post some info regarding the sales of the N900 in my lovely country

The Czech keyboard layout:

As you can see, our keyboard has just 2 physical arrow keys, just like many other EU countries. That's because of the diactritic symbols we use. Also note that some of the buttons have a different mapping then the English version. The OS is defaultly in Czech.

There are many pre-orders, more then units available. There are only around 100 units in the first batch.

The N900 (pre-orders) starts selling here this Friday, followed by next week. Nokia will be the only company officialy selling this device - in flagship stores in Prague and Brno and via their E-Shop. Apart from that, the big electronics company Alza will sell it as well. Operators will not carry the N900, atleast not until January. From January other shops can start selling it too.

The retail package is same as everywhere else.
You can try out the device at the flagship stores.
Retail price is around 615 Euros.

I'm getting mine next weekend.

Last edited by Jack6428; 2009-12-03 at 01:26.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jack6428 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 635 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Black Mesa Research Facility
No Czechs on Maemo lol ?

Posts: 2 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Prague, Czech Republic
Do you know if it is possible to purchase the N900 in the Czech Republic (e-shops?) with a QWERTY (not Czech) keyboard? I have the N97 now which I bought from hypermobil.cz and even though the keycaps are QWERTY the Y key is mapped permanently to Z and it cannot be changed even with a firmware upgrade. Thanks for any info on this, I don't want to have to go to the UK to purchase one... :-)

Posts: 119 | Thanked: 110 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Prague
PragueBob: you can remap the keyboard by changing stuff in /usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols/nokia_vndr/rx-51 - even to a completely different layout, than the hardware shows (I changed mine to qwerty+4 arrows+dead ' and ˇ chars etc.)... search this forum for more informations...

The Following User Says Thank You to andree For This Useful Post:
Posts: 119 | Thanked: 110 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Prague
yes, from what I've been told, it'll be possible to buy qwerty-keyboarded n900's in czech rep. - after some time....

The Following User Says Thank You to andree For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Prague, Czech Republic
If you happen to see one with UK or US keycaps for sale in the Czech Republic, please let me know. hypermobil.cz has the lowest priced N900 so far, almost 3000 CZK lower than the Nokia store. I plan to check with them directly about the keyboard.

Originally Posted by PragueBob View Post
If you happen to see one with UK or US keycaps for sale in the Czech Republic, please let me know. hypermobil.cz has the lowest priced N900 so far, almost 3000 CZK lower than the Nokia store. I plan to check with them directly about the keyboard.
Hi PragueBob,

Did you finally manage to find a US/UK Keycap version for sale in Czech Republic? Even I am looking forward to buy one!

Btw, thanks a lot for the "hypermobil.cz", it sure is cheaper than any other Electronic store here