Originally Posted by danramos View Post
That's an idiot's argument. Did you ever own a 486 back in the day? Did you ever buy a newer computer, even though the old one did its job well? I want what I liked in the N800--but newer (faster, more RAM, more capacity, etc.) not a whole NEW product like a phone (which I prefer to separate from my computer).
Ok, using the term idiot here is unnecessarily direct on an, up to this point, completely civil debate. I've liked this thread to this point.

Also.. I understand you wanted a new tablet.. but somehow this entire statement completely misses the point I was making.

What does the Droid give me that the N900 couldn't? hehe.. you're serious, aren't you? For one--the Droid is ACTUALLY a phone--it's stable and MUCH MUCH more featureful as a phone. You only need to search the forums to find out how lousy the N900 seems to work as a phone compared to anything else.
I said that the N900 couldn't provide. The framework is already there just buggy.. adding things like separate ringtones per contact will be *easy* once the real problems are addressed. You're arguments seem more centric to you feeling abandoned by Nokia, and pissed they added phone to the new system. I was on your team back in the day, I didn't want a phone on it - but because I didn't want it limited by Telcos. I wanted root. I wanted to play. Nokia addressed by giving me a phone - that is not limited... I just now have to sell my wife to slavery for the $560 it'll cost for me to get it. But damnit... someday..

I prefer two devices--one is a phone.. which is NOT my computer (hence stable and not hacked and not liable to crash and I can feel comfortable with tinkering on)--one is a computer.. which is where I'm much more free to treat it as a computer.
And this is where we disagree. I feel geeky enough.. I don't need a phone on this hip, netbook on this arm, a tablet in this pocket.. etc.

One device, all my needs, all the way. Nothing hits it yet. Well.. the N900 has promise, but .. just out of reach for now. Android is closest so far to anything I've handled.
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

The Following User Says Thank You to fatalsaint For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
The problem fatalsaint is if you try to use the N900 as you did the n800 you'll find you'll find yourself with a dead battery very soon.
Been waiting on this one. Agree 100%

With the n800 that was fine, cause I could still use my cheap free cell phone to receive calls or make a call if I ever needed to. With the N900 if I use it as much as I used the n800 I find myself with the inability to receive calls or make them (on the rare occasion that I do
Agree 100% here too.

Damn good post.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 73 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ NJ, USA
Originally Posted by kopte3 View Post
Ahh.. Someone always snaps because a firmware is little late.
When it's out, i think this thread will be quite for some time.. for ex. until the next firmware.
Really, until the feature you want is in the device you shouldn't buy it.

Until it's in the device, that feature is vaporware and for all you know it has been abandoned by its parent company.

The Following User Says Thank You to InfinityDevil For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Been waiting on this one. Agree 100%

Agree 100% here too.

Damn good post.
Word is the battery life is considerably better in the firmware released to a select few so it would seem that Nokia at least are aware of the issue.

Its been my experience it always takes at least one firmware release to get battery life to a decent level.
Agro ... : |*****-----] Relic(s) : G1, N900

I have had an iPhone and I liked it, at first, there's an app for everything you ever want to do. It will cost you a little money, but he what's 79 euro cents huh?

Tried to get involved with developing but gave up after a while to many problems to overcome (paying Apple, develop only on Mac, apps must be approved by Apple, etc...).

Hell you even have to pay for an app just to be able to store some data on the device. From a user point of view it's a good device, but it feels you don't OWN it. (ha ha my wife is using it now...)

Then I went to buy a Motorola Droid, which is also a good device and I liked it too. Reasonable app-store, where you can get all the apps you need to make it more usable. But it feels like you have be married with google to get the full potential.

As I'm a Java developer it was pretty easy to start developing (using Eclipse), but de software is running in a special designed Java version which has some drawbacks. After a few days of playing with it I sold the device (rather quick actually).

.. then ..

Got me a N900, love it still (about 4 week now) and I even started to develop some stuff (using Eclipse for C(++)). Yep it got some minor problems may be, but he at least you OWN the damn thing...

I LOVE IT...

good luck...

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to WannaDoIt For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by s1rl4ncel0t View Post
However, the target for N900 must be to do AT LEAST what Nexus does...
Think the other way 'round. I guess at times it's what the n900 doesn't do compared to goolge phones. For example all the voice2text processing is done server-side and google definitly won't let all this precious information go to waste. Instead they'll pretty much store and process the additional information without people really noticing it.

I somehow don't like that idea.

The Following User Says Thank You to toffer For This Useful Post:
Posts: 177 | Thanked: 43 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Gainesville, FL
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
If I admit I have no clue, do I lose points? Seriously, the N900 going to a phone platform befuddled me. It no longer does, since it's an actualized product; but at first I just wanted a new tablet.

Ok, now... I still want just a tablet.

Yeah, I still don't understand why it wasn't done in the ipod touch/iphone way. A model with a cellphone radio module, a model with out it. If anything, Apple has proved that it's viable and there is a market for both.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to iamNarada For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by fatalsaint View Post
Ok, using the term idiot here is unnecessarily direct on an, up to this point, completely civil debate. I've liked this thread to this point.
No, it seems fair to call it that if I understand the point you are trying to make or ask me about. You want to know why I feel it is necessary to want something to replace my N800 that isn't an N900, correct? It sounded as if you were intending to convince me that I should be happy with what I have. That is, fairly, an idiot's argument. My sympathies that you took it as a personal attack. Feel free to take it personally, if you want, but it's not intended as a personal affront that infers that you are an idiot. It does infer that your argument comes across as a fairly incomprehensible one. Feel free to clarify, of course.

Also.. I understand you wanted a new tablet.. but somehow this entire statement completely misses the point I was making.
Again, feel free to clarify. It seems to me that I clearly responded.

I said that the N900 couldn't provide. The framework is already there just buggy.. adding things like separate ringtones per contact will be *easy* once the real problems are addressed. You're arguments seem more centric to you feeling abandoned by Nokia, and pissed they added phone to the new system. I was on your team back in the day, I didn't want a phone on it - but because I didn't want it limited by Telcos. I wanted root. I wanted to play. Nokia addressed by giving me a phone - that is not limited... I just now have to sell my wife to slavery for the $560 it'll cost for me to get it. But damnit... someday..
Yeah, no.. that's okay. You can fiddle around with your phone and mangle it with your root access, if you want. I'll stick with having my phone for my important calls and my N800 to fiddle with until I see a desktop (Debian based, preferably) OS or something similar on a pocket sized tablet to replace it with so that I can mangle that while I depend on my phone for the work texts and family emergencies or without running out of battery from tinkering. Meanwhile, as I'd stated in another post, I'll enjoy the comforts of a full featured phone as an additional bonus, thanks anyway.

And this is where we disagree. I feel geeky enough.. I don't need a phone on this hip, netbook on this arm, a tablet in this pocket.. etc.
Yeah, I still like the idea of TWO--I didn't say a dozen--for all the rightful reasons I'd mentioned already. I'll bet you have two pockets and that it doesn't make you look too geeky to use them, right buddy?

One device, all my needs, all the way. Nothing hits it yet. Well.. the N900 has promise, but .. just out of reach for now. Android is closest so far to anything I've handled.
Yeah, we seem to disagree on the whole ONE RINGER TO RULE 'EM ALL thing.

Last edited by danramos; 2010-01-05 at 22:21.

Originally Posted by InfinityDevil View Post
No US telco will subsidize the N900, so that doesn't matter to me. I have no idea if it would even work with TMobile data here.

So the 900 has bad battery life compared to the 800? That's worrying. I like my n800 but any sustained network or downloading use of it kills the battery in seconds (e.g. gpodder), so I plug it in when doing that first.
It works with TMobile data (I'm using it on TMobile). And it doesn't have bad battery life compared to the n800 (though there are apps and widgets out there that will suck the battery out with constant updating). I was saying that the benefit of carrying two devices is that you don't rely on them to do both.

E.g. if I carry my camera and a DS I can shoot all the pictures I want, then play all the games I want. One function does not influence another function's activities. Yet if I do so on my N900 then I compromise because shooting pictures will use up battery, playing games will use up battery.

Hence if I were to use my N900 as I did my n800, I would have no device to receive phone calls from my mobile # since my data plan I have on the N900 is with that voice plan (cheapest one). Sadly this will be an issue with any convergent device until they make batteries that last days or months with heavy usage regardless of the platform you choose.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Last edited by Laughing Man; 2010-01-05 at 22:24.

The Following User Says Thank You to Laughing Man For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
...What does the Droid give me that the N900 couldn't? hehe.. you're serious, aren't you? For one--the Droid is ACTUALLY a phone--it's stable and MUCH MUCH more featureful as a phone. You only need to search the forums to find out how lousy the N900 seems to work as a phone compared to anything else....
I wasn't doing anything on my (2) DROIDs that I can't do on my 900. Difference is my proximity sensor actually "works" consistently on the 900. Having SIP client "built-in" gives "me" the edge over the DROID as far as functionality. Never mind the poor reception I got being less than 2 miles from (2) different Verizon stores and two blocks from Verizon CO.

That said, I prefer the sound levels on the DROID (and all my Motorola products, most recently the Q) vs. the 900.