Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
It must be soooo simple that nobody bother to talk about it. Teach me...
I got the "hover" arrow, but just cant copy and paste.
While looking for my 'cut and paste', came across this, N900_shortcuts_and_gestures, quite useful, take a look

TIA,

bun

Last edited by bunanson; 2010-01-10 at 17:08.

Posts: 207 | Thanked: 119 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Pittsburgh, PA, USA
When you get arrow you should press on it. after this you can select text like by normal mice.
after this use Ctrl-C (for copy) and Ctrl-V (or past)

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mikhmv For This Useful Post:
Ctrl + C and Ctrl+V,just like other computer

The Following User Says Thank You to quangmach For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
Have to confess I know the 'how' of this but never actually managed to get the knack of doing it.

You've inspired me to go and try.

The Following User Says Thank You to RevdKathy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 226 | Thanked: 63 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Maldives
Click the hover arrow so that it will show a red slash over it, now you can select the text, press ctrl+c on the keyboard to copy, ctrl+v to paste, like on Note application.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nashith For This Useful Post:
For Xterm there is an alternative form of copy & paste that wasn't initially obvious:
http://wiki.maemo.org/N900_shortcuts...term_Shortcuts

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cas07 For This Useful Post:
Well, dont know how to put it.

I have used 770, N800, N810, and was one of the early developer for FoxBase which later became M$ Access and with this impressive resume, I have to post this question.....yak.

Is this 'hover' arrow thing from microB or simple web surfing common knowledge? I got it now, what a challenge!

Thanks for helping, this community is great!

bun

The Following User Says Thank You to bunanson For This Useful Post:
Posts: 474 | Thanked: 283 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Oxford, UK
Copy

1. Swipe from off the left of the screen onto the screen to get the hover arrow icon. (Easier with stylus, until you get the hang of it).

2. Tap on the hover arrow icon so a red slash appears through it. Then you can select text, instead of scrolling.

3. There appears to be a bug where the moving arrow sometimes tracks about 6mm above the stylus touch point during this. It only happens after the swipe until the next tap - a state in which there shouldn't be a moving arrow showing at all probably (because there's no moving arrow after toggling off the red slash). Weird!

4. Select text by highlighting it.

5. Note that links can't be selected from the middle, only ordinary text can. Link text can be selected starting outside the link.

6. If you're having trouble highlighting text, try zooming in first. It helps for some reason, even with the stylus. Looks like the highlighting algorithm can be very fussy about position.

7. Mistakes and mis-taps tend to cause the red slash to turn off, and then you can't highlight text. It's slightly annoying. Pay attention to the red slash, and you will have to swipe and tap the hover arrow again each time it disappears.

8. To actually copy, use Ctrl+C on the keyboard. The Copy function in the drop down menu doesn't work. (Fixed in forthcoming firmware).

Copy from text input boxes

1. You can use the above method on text input boxes, but there is an easier way with these.

2. Select the text entry box and place the cursor, like on a regular computer. Sometimes this takes two taps for large text boxes for some reason - one to select it, and another to position the cursor.

3. Use Shift+arrows on the keyboard to move the cursor and highlight the text, like on a regular computer.

4. Use Ctrl+C on the keyboard to copy, or Ctrl+X to cut (copy + delete).

Paste

1. Select the text entry box and place the cursor where you want to insert, like on a regular computer. Sometimes this takes two taps for large text boxes for some reason - one to select it, and another to position the cursor.

2. Use Control+V on the keyboard to paste. The Paste function in the drop down menu doesn't work. (Fixed in forthcoming firmware).

3. Like on a regular computer, you can highlight some text in an input box, and then pasting will replace it.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jjx For This Useful Post:
Now this is very very clear. THANK YOU. N900 users come with all walks of gadgets user level, your instuction will benefit alot, not to mention a senior veteren programmer like myself

bun

Tags
browser, text selecting