Notices

Originally Posted by Bytales View Post
If the velocity changes the acceleration cannot be constant. Thats the very definition of acceleration, acceleration means how the speed changes in time.
LOL you need to go back to freshman physics class

I'll leave it as an exercise to the reader to figure out what is wrong with the quoted statement

Citius. Altius. Fortius. This app is great. We could have an N900 Olympics. Who can throw it farthest, highest, most time in the air? Combine it with some protective cover, and you've got the marketing taken care of.

Posts: 105 | Thanked: 62 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Petteri View Post
It seems that I cannot reply in the downloads website: http://maemo.org/downloads/product/Maemo5/n900fly , so I will comment here about problems with n900fly.

I installed the program, started it and threw my n900 in the air couple of times (1-2 meters). Nothing happened. All numbers still 0.0 after the throw. Rebooted N900 and tested again. Still nothing. Installed AccDisplay to make sure that accelerometer works. Accelerometer seems to work.
I did some more testing. Noticed finally that my accelerometer was giving somehow wrong information. After reseting it (remove the battery for couple of minutes), n900fly started to work The app seems nice and I am having quite fun with it. Sorry about the one star in the download site, but the site does not seem have option to change rating.

Posts: 112 | Thanked: 122 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ London, United Kingdom
No prob "Petteri",
Just say so there..
Weird this acc bug on your device.. but anyway.. if it's gone... it's gone.
Enjoy!

Posts: 1,635 | Thanked: 1,816 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Manchester, England
hi,
this is a great app, i've been doing some testing with it and noticed a few issues iwth its flight detection algorithm
i have been using liqacceltests to graph the flights and accelerometer variables and for have some ideas why detection is a bit wrong.
(it seems to get more 0.04s 1cm type throw ranges than actual decent ones)

btw personal best with your app 1.31m, wheres the global high score table
wrapping n900 inside sleeping bag case provides good protection, but your app doesnt detect the flight correctly.
we were throwing unprotected so hard last night it hit the roof o_O thats when i started wrapping it.

Well, just for the sake of completeness (physics):

I agree with the statement: "
Originally Posted by gamof View Post
The acceleration is constant. The velocity changes. At the top of an arc, the velocity is zero, but it begins to fall due to the constant acceleration. 9.81 meters per second towards Earth. Basic physics, here.

Sorry, just being really anal about technicalities here.
But only if the measurment begins late:

If there was only constant acc towards earth, the N900 would never be able to get away from it.
There is a time when there is acc in the opposite direction of earth and ( oppositeAcc - g (9.81m/s) > 0 ) ----> the throw. (simplified)
Therefore, the acc is not constant, if my measurment begins with the throw.

You are welcome to discount this.

Is this already used to initiate the App?

Posts: 44 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Sweden
Originally Posted by lcuk View Post
hi,
this is a great app, i've been doing some testing with it and noticed a few issues iwth its flight detection algorithm
i have been using liqacceltests to graph the flights and accelerometer variables and for have some ideas why detection is a bit wrong.
(it seems to get more 0.04s 1cm type throw ranges than actual decent ones)

btw personal best with your app 1.31m, wheres the global high score table
wrapping n900 inside sleeping bag case provides good protection, but your app doesnt detect the flight correctly.
we were throwing unprotected so hard last night it hit the roof o_O thats when i started wrapping it.
1.52 On my bed...

The Following User Says Thank You to Razumichin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,635 | Thanked: 1,816 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Manchester, England
2.51m
on the stairs.

(whole sleeping bag round it)

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Originally Posted by gamof View Post
The acceleration is constant. The velocity changes. At the top of an arc, the velocity is zero, but it begins to fall due to the constant acceleration. 9.81 meters per second towards Earth. Basic physics, here.

Sorry, just being really anal about technicalities here.
You actually mean 9.81 meters per second per second as g = acceleration, velocity change/time and, excuse me, whoever post and quote "9.81 m/s" suggest time to go back to physics 101.

I have so much fun with this app, keep up the good work. Thanks.

bun

Last edited by bunanson; 2010-01-10 at 19:16.

- you could make the "hello f***ers" message an easter egg with a key combination

- to get the photo at the highest point, you can make a video and extract the frame at (flight-time)/2 (assuming you catch the phone at the same height it left your hands)..