Posts: 56 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Carlisle, PA
Originally Posted by egoshin View Post
You absolutely right here - it modifies it during installation.

Will it restore the original if I uninstall vpnc? (I am not very familiar with debian package processing).
You should uninstall vpnc and then you need to either edit the file with the correct name or mv the file that is missing the period to the correct file name. Just uninstalling vpnc isn't going to fix the problem.

Originally Posted by egoshin View Post
You absolutely right here - it modifies it during installation.

Will it restore the original if I uninstall vpnc? (I am not very familiar with debian package processing).
Not if the package wasn't built to do so. From what I'm reading.. no, it wasn't. Many people have said they installed vpnc, and uninstalled it, and the problem persists. I'm thinking the package probably uses a sed or some kind of CLI replace in the file (or just completely replaces the file with one of it's own).. and removing it does not restore the original file.

I personally haven't extracted the vpnc deb to see how it handles the modification.. but the result is self-evident: The problem exists until the user fixes it .
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

Posts: 13 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Melbourne
Originally Posted by fatalsaint View Post
What happened is when you ran the first mv command beeman you forgot a period.. and thus renamed the dist-pkg file with ipv4script.

Now you need to:

Code:
mv libicd_network_ipv4script libicd_network_ipv4.script
thanks, i have tried that as well and that doesnt seem to work either.

I am unsure on how to use leafpad to edit the script file, i did "vi" and managed to open the file but was unable to modify it. from what i saw there was no text in the file. sorry to be a pain in the ***, how do i get leafpad to see the root? or how to modify the script?

You may be permanently broke if the file is empty and there is no replacement. Somewhere in the running of all these commands something was mistyped that cleared the file...

Run this:

Code:
cat /etc/udhcpc/libicd_network_ipv4.script
There should be a whole script outputted. just to make sure - you are running these commands as root?

If you see output.. run:

Code:
mv /etc/udhcpc/libicd_network_ipv4script /etc/udhcpc/libicd_network_ipv4.script
Copy and paste is best.

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
There IS something fishy here, and not just vpnc. My parents (who haven't got the faintest idea what a repository or vpnc is) also had WiFi connectivity problems during and ever since the 51-1 update. A disconnect-reconnect or reboot usually helps, but there is a notable difference in connection stability compared to 42-11. The AP is a venerable WRT-54GL. The changelog claims "Improving WLAN connection stability" and "Improved WLAN negotiation when going out of reach of access point." but does not go into details as to what exactly the changes are. I'll try and play a bit with power saving to see whether that influences things...

Posts: 992 | Thanked: 995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ California
Not if the package wasn't built to do so. From what I'm reading.. no, it wasn't. Many people have said they installed vpnc, and uninstalled it, and the problem persists. I'm thinking the package probably uses a sed or some kind of CLI replace in the file (or just completely replaces the file with one of it's own).. and removing it does not restore the original file.

I personally haven't extracted the vpnc deb to see how it handles the modification.. but the result is self-evident: The problem exists until the user fixes it .
Is it possible to force re-installation of libicd-network-ipv4 (this package is a file owner)?

attila - can you also paste the output of:

Code:
ls /etc/udhcpc/libicd_network*
Is there two files, or only one? (from the broken devices.)

Posts: 23 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ bay area ca
After reading the 88 replies in this thread I do not think there is any easy way out.First of all to do anything will have to install rootsh software over a 2.5G interface. My frustration is not that somebody screws up in the file but recovery portion of it. Default reset should work but in this case it is not. This is very basic and one should have way to go back to old version. I came from Iphone land to N900 thinking that I will have better alternative and better experience. So far none it does not mean that I am going back to Apple but this is not the way releses are rolled out. So please can you guys put a simple procedure for the new people like me.

Thanks.

Posts: 13 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Melbourne
You may be permanently broke if the file is empty and there is no replacement. Somewhere in the running of all these commands something was mistyped that cleared the file...

Run this:

Code:
cat /etc/udhcpc/libicd_network_ipv4.script
There should be a whole script outputted. just to make sure - you are running these commands as root?

If you see output.. run:

Code:
mv /etc/udhcpc/libicd_network_ipv4script /etc/udhcpc/libicd_network_ipv4.script
Copy and paste is best.
yes done under root.
#!/bin/sh
# place your script to /maemo-dhcp.d directory so that it gets run.

run parts -a "$1" /etc/maemo-dhcp.d

Posts: 23 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ bay area ca
In my broken phone I see
ls /etc/udhcpc/libicd_network* 2 files one with dppkg.lst in it