Well we (as in we the guys that had app manager ideas) asked to merge the initial brainstorms " Improving App-Manager: download/Install basket" with "Improving app-manager user experience" so that the users could express themselves with more ease on the app manager improvement options.

Our goal was avoiding the "oh, another appmanager thread, I already voted for other 3... what could this one possibly want more"

So the users can check a single brainstorm about app-man and choose what they think fits them best.

Proposal:
Let's summarize the solutions, make a TOP 3 and give the users a chance to see the others via a "see more link".
Brainstorms like calendar improvement that fail to have 3 top solutions (with more votes than the others) within a week should be somehow downgraded.

Sorry for the oftopic.

The Following User Says Thank You to Bec For This Useful Post:
nice idea!

The Following User Says Thank You to tousisd For This Useful Post:
Thanks.

Any progress anyone?

Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
I added a little cosmetic solution since i've already made and submitted a patch that fixes it.

Solution #12: Make the extended description less command-line like

Posted on 2010-01-30 18:03 UTC by David Falkayn.

Summary: This is a purely cosmetic change that is already implemented: it just needs to be included by the App Manager maintainers. It flows the extended description text to fill the window.

I made a very simple patch for App Manager a while ago that improves the "nicefy" function that prepares a package's extended description for display. This is what the user sees when they ask to see details about a package.

Currently, the text is fixed-width. If the package's extended description has lines that are too long, they will wrap to the next line and leave an ugly linebreak midway through the next line.

My patch flows the text so that it fills the window properly, looking more like a GUI should and less like a nasty UNIX CLI-cum-GUI wrapper.

Details here: Extended description panel doesn't flow text.

Unofficial PR1.3/Meego 1.1 FAQ

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?
MAME: an arcade in your pocket
Accelemymote: make your accelerometer more joy-ful

Posts: 609 | Thanked: 243 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Eastern USA
Is there any way to delete or edit a solution?

I added a solution a while back to implement wazd (Andrew Zhilin)'s extras-assistant, but it seems it's a 3rd party app.

If someone could do it, either edit, or delete and create a new solution:

Merge wazd's extras-assistant with the app-man itself.

Just tell me which one you want edited/merged

I proposed a solution to hide applications from the list...

Everytime I browse the app manager I run into applications I have already seen but do not want to install... I find it very useful to hide those applications so that we can browse applications faster.

Plz vote for this solution

Posts: 1,684 | Thanked: 1,562 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Austin, TX
Originally Posted by bachagabriel View Post
I proposed a solution to hide applications from the list...

Everytime I browse the app manager I run into applications I have already seen but do not want to install... I find it very useful to hide those applications so that we can browse applications faster.

Plz vote for this solution
In case you aren't tracking replies to your thread

Originally Posted by epage View Post
I'm curious about the use case. What value do you gain by hiding applications? I can see one benefit being shorter lists. Why do shorter lists matter?

The benefit I could see to shorter lists is to make it easier to see what applications are new

I wonder if the Download Assistant is the type of thing you are looking for. Its still in development and not yet available in the Application Manager by default.

Review
http://danielwilms.wordpress.com/201...-applications/

I did track the reply to my thread but I did not find it useful. I thought I'd add a solution to this brainstorm so that it is added officially

In fact, I already tried this application but I want the feature to be available to all repositories in the official application manager.

The Following User Says Thank You to bachagabriel For This Useful Post:
This is also considered a bug and it's pretty old too.