Active Topics

Notices

Unfortunately... if your game is written in C/C++ you won't be able to publish it on the OVI Store, as the store doesn't support them... (quite ashamed I know).

Even if you pay the 50EU, that is not going to give you access to upload that kind of content on the OVI Store, either free or commercial... (we have recently been in that situation...)

Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
Ovi store supports C/C++. Ovi store does not (yet) support Maemo. Please contact Ovi and notify them of your desire to publish popular game titles for Maemo so they will be more likely to prioritize Maemo support.

Unofficial PR1.3/Meego 1.1 FAQ

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?
MAME: an arcade in your pocket
Accelemymote: make your accelerometer more joy-ful

Posts: 1,070 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by sio2interactive View Post
Unfortunately... if your game is written in C/C++ you won't be able to publish it on the OVI Store, as the store doesn't support them... (quite ashamed I know).

Even if you pay the 50EU, that is not going to give you access to upload that kind of content on the OVI Store, either free or commercial... (we have recently been in that situation...)
That's a very wrong assumption, the OVI store doesn't support N900 apps yet, nothing related to the programming language used.
Maemo uses .deb packages, so I can't see any limitation in the languages of use, you can put almost anything inside a .deb package.
Of course you will not be able to distribute a C/C++ binary alone, you need to create a .deb package with the binary.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VDVsx For This Useful Post:
Even then, you won't be able to distribute them... there's no support for .deb on http://publish.ovi.com...

If you want to sell your apps you have to pass by your own payment inside the game... and basically publish the game yourself...

Posts: 1,338 | Thanked: 1,055 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ California, USA / Jordan
Hello Jani.. On behalf of EVERYONE that uses N900.. I would like to thank you for this effort and I hope you continue developing awesome games for the N900!

I am looking forward on playing your games!

The Following User Says Thank You to bandora For This Useful Post:
Posts: 68 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Chicago
man I am chuffed! Never played it on the iPhone, but based on screenshots I'm certain this is GREAT!

Posts: 101 | Thanked: 129 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Los Angeles, CA
@sio2interactive
hmm I wonder how Angry Bird being published. It's looks like C/C++ game to me. I wonder Quim would help. Have you tried to contact him?

Posts: 1,885 | Thanked: 2,008 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ OVI MAPS
Originally Posted by sio2interactive View Post
Even then, you won't be able to distribute them... there's no support for .deb on http://publish.ovi.com...

If you want to sell your apps you have to pass by your own payment inside the game... and basically publish the game yourself...
your confusing symbian distribution with maemo.
maemo ovi store is still in beta and only nokia partners are in there as it stands,
the link you posted is about publishing for symbian and accepted formats for symbian there is no maemo documentation there at all,
you are best to contact nokia directly to find out about maemo or
go to forum nokia i'm sure there is people there who know more and can help

Last edited by NvyUs; 2010-01-28 at 01:21.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to NvyUs For This Useful Post:
Great News! Any Game developer is a greatly welcomed to Maemo... especially if your games look like those great screen shots so far

Posts: 1,213 | Thanked: 356 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ California and Virginia
You could release it as shareware. You know, a free level and then in-app or website payment for a code of sorts or remote activation. I am 100% sure his company has thought this out though.

www.ezschool.com - The best online educational experience.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Thesandlord For This Useful Post: