Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
As for the quote from BCN, well, it's in Spanish and, no, I don't have a source handy but I was sitting next to Anidel, lcuk and VDVsx and we can all corroborate what we heard.
Thanks for this. I probably didn't read the Barcelona threads at the time, where the "no Maemo 6 on N900" thing may have been mentioned, but I'm surprised more wasn't made of this as it seems rather a large announcement.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pelago For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by pelago View Post
Thanks for this. I probably didn't read the Barcelona threads at the time, where the "no Maemo 6 on N900" thing may have been mentioned, but I'm surprised more wasn't made of this as it seems rather a large announcement.
It wasn't exactly a surprise, just something that was more-or-less finally made official.

I'm going to say yes. Not because of Ovi Maps necessarily but because it was more or less confirmed that Maemo 6 will not be coming to the N900.

Without Maemo 6 the N900 has no future.. since many things are being worked on for maemo 6 and not 5.. even current feature requests or bug reports.

So anyone buying an N900 today is effectively planning to be on their own in a short while.
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to fatalsaint For This Useful Post:
Posts: 119 | Thanked: 124 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Brazil
Whatever Nokia decides about supporting N900, its lack of public commitment is just adding doubts for potential buyers like yourself... and worrying current owners like me, who don't want to feel that our money was invested wrongly in one of the most expensive devices on the market and not getting any support from its supplier

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to russo_br For This Useful Post:
Posts: 150 | Thanked: 91 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Norway
I think if the qt-framework will be the same on maemo6 and 5 it will still have a future. Then apps can be developed for both. Maybe some features in maemo6 can be backported to maemo 5, and maybe maemo6 can run on N900, only future will tell.

Posts: 428 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Washington DC
You know, if Nokia truly cared about the community that is helping it develop the Maemo platform, they'd offer a trade-in program.

I'd be willing to trade in the N900 for the Maemo 6 device and pay a nominal fee for the upgrade. I don't want to add *another* internet tablet to my ever growing pile of Nokia devices that can't be upgraded. (Mer doesn't count seeing how slow the dev is going on that)

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to phi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 663 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ London, UK
My thoughts are exactly the same as those posted thus far - in that Maemo 5 was just a 'toe in the water' exercise for Nokia. They're interested when they can stick Maemo on a mass market device and really make some cash from it. I doubt there's much money in N900 sales. The net markup can't be that good and they haven't shifted the number of units required to meet their usual targets for devices.

Support for Maemo 5 is going to dribble on for another few months and will be officially dead by late summer. Nokia haven't invested enough in community resources (like a good website) so the community won't be big enough to take over.

The positive is that most people are on 12-24 month contracts, so when that's up you can get a new phone.

I hate being an early adopter!
Nokia are a business and have chosen a path of using the OSS community phenomenon to reduce their overheads specifically after sales support and development. Unlike Apple who do the opposite and make a killing from their Applications store.

Originally Posted by hstende View Post
I think if the qt-framework will be the same on maemo6 and 5 it will still have a future. Then apps can be developed for both. Maybe some features in maemo6 can be backported to maemo 5, and maybe maemo6 can run on N900, only future will tell.
If Nokia decide to have a much higher 'minimum' spec for Maemo then yes, N900 will be completely ignored. Reasons for minimum higher spec:
- how much more hungry is Qt4.6 for CPU and memory. Nice UI and features are not free
-Competitors have already started higher spec phones. Faster processor, more physical RAM

How 'optimized' is Maemo 6 going to be such that it can run on n900 hardware IF Maemo 6 have higher hardware specs? Optimizing and writing efficient code is tough, extremely tough and requires very experience developers.

.. not to mention to resources Nokia would have to add to back-test M6 on n900. They are already behind the competition and need all resources to focus on M6.

Originally Posted by cashclientel View Post
The positive is that most people are on 12-24 month contracts, so when that's up you can get a new phone.
$550 for a new phone every year is certainly not saving anybody any money no matter what TCO model you use...
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fatalsaint For This Useful Post:
Posts: 607 | Thanked: 450 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Washington, DC
Originally Posted by Aelhadidy View Post
I just want to make sure that N900 will be supported for along time (With firmware updates, new apps, and even installing maemo 6 on it)
Based entirely on past experience with Nokia's support of previous Internet Tablets, I think you can count on firmware updates until Maemo 5 reaches a stable state. New apps will be available for a time but developers will start to jump on Maemo 6 as it is closer to release. Whether you can Install Maemo 6 on the N900 continues to be a subject of debate. My personal take is that you won't be able to, just as I wasn't able to install Maemo 5 on my Maemo 4 device (the N810).

Tags
compatibility, future, harmattan, harmattan is for new $$$, maemo, maemo 6, n900, speculation, upgrade