Active Topics

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by rm42 View Post
Speculation is inevitable when you don't have an answer.
True. But in this case, what does it really do as a positive for Nokia to remain reticent?

OK, so say they commit to saying that MeeGo won't run on the N900 (just to be safe). But, then it turns out that it does. Will some people be upset? I think we know the answer to that.
Deal with the wrath now or deal with it later. Just doesn't help people to make an informed decision for consumers.

Ha, ha. That is a good one.
I laughed while typing it too

Banned | Posts: 109 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Originally Posted by timwatt View Post
It all sounds good and well, the only reason I got into this whole thing was Nokia made the first internet tablet and I was born wanting to surf the net on Sunday morning from my internet t tablet (as my palm or laptop didn't cut it)

What got me existed with maemo as a Linux newbie, who has no programming experience, was the fact that Linux enthusiasts had ported programs to do everything I could think of. My maemo device is now used to remote desktop into my office or home over a secure SSH connection. Imbedded Linux has offend a solution that allows me to run may computers turn them on and off remotely reducing my energy footprint and meeting greater eco mandates The practical implantation of VOIP solutions have made it almost indispensable. (I can now envision retirement with technology at my call without the comprehensive monthly cell phone plan and all the other web 2.0 services amortised over 15 year. )

All the custom solutions I have implemented are built on experience Debian related enthusiasts have brought to the table - this transfer of knowledge is progress.

All in all the existing Linux community with the help of Nokia's maemo have delivered on what I believe is "progress" enabling a paradigm sift in evolution of technology.

I don't know what MeeGo will brings to the table but I fear it looks something more like iPhone OS, Android or Palms's WebOS that enables a business model that are not progress or consumer centric .

None of the resulting Linux based OS's above have been able to deliver what maemo has done and I believe it has only happened because of the community support and existing experience.

Dumping the community's experience, paralyses my need and cripples progress. If I could give my $0.02 Nokia should have played out the experiment before cashing in on a tangible business opportunity.
It is simple: It doesnt make money and they are shoving it

Posts: 963 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Connecticut, USA
Originally Posted by Tex14 View Post
This is only your sixth post in this forum and you seem to just be interested in fanning the flames. I looked at your previous posts and they all are either negative or mention Micrsoft technologies. You are the kind of people that make me paranoid.

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=44856

Edit: OK, after seeing a few more of your posts I feel relieved. You are certainly not an astroturfer. Just an average troll.

http://temporaryland.wordpress.com/

Last edited by rm42; 2010-02-18 at 21:47.

Posts: 352 | Thanked: 231 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Vancouver
Originally Posted by Tex14 View Post
That's what I suspect, but by my reasoning, selling devises was the previous money maker not software, (the software can evolve exponentially while the device is rooted in the physical market) this allows the software to evolve exponentially progressing beyond just the device.

To me it now looks like Nokia are committing to selling Intel's product line, limiting the exponential progress expected from software and limiting all the development to the the physical market of manufacturing. My concern is that MeeGo will not give the freedom meomo has deliver until now. (and may be just like Android a platform to launch a monopolistic business model limiting progress.)

All in all I am optimistic some one will make a phone OS that syncs my outlook task descriptions like Palm but gives me the freedom to run native Linux aps. like maemo. if MeeGo can do it I'll hang in, but if it winds up like WebOS or Android, I may as well resign and make the switch now - because as valuable as my n900 is its not worth hanging onto if they bug https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=6892 isn't solved.

Posts: 607 | Thanked: 450 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Washington, DC
All in all I am optimistic some one will make a phone OS that syncs my outlook task descriptions like Palm but gives me the freedom to run native Linux aps.
So get a Palm and root it.

http://www.weboshelp.net/all-webos-n...s-hacks-emerge

If you need software that does a particular thing and it doesn't currently exist for Maemo or Moblin then it is unlikely to exist for Meego.

Posts: 352 | Thanked: 231 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Vancouver
Originally Posted by DaveP1 View Post
So get a Palm and root it.
my technical skill ends with making a desktop icon and running existing ssh scripts and installing a .deb file. I like the 800x480 resolution GSM radio combination on the n900 - not even sure I can run SSH tunnel and rDesctop on a palm.

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
(You know what... this post isn't helping anything... deleting it.)

Last edited by zerojay; 2010-02-18 at 23:37.

The Following User Says Thank You to zerojay For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by fpp View Post
Always the kind one. IMHO "perfectly well" is debatable: after all, I've been using Maemo devices for more than four years, while I have yet to see an actual Moblin device in the wild, outside of blog pictures taken in trade shows.
I've seen this a few times and let me say this:

How many have tried it? I mean.. this community is being severely impacted by another OS.. even going it's route for a packaging system.. and probably likely to use more of it's structure or base than Maemo's... just keeping Maemo's QT..

So how many of you have taken a look?

I did. It's quite nice actually.... (nice in the way that it makes me want to take a hammer to my netbook.. Don't misunderstand me - this is a good thing.. see below.)

The entire UI and system is extremely bubbly.. very "User-friendly"-like and is quite a difference from your average system. I personally hate user-friendliness and bubbly... I've never liked the Vista interface, the Mac OS X interface, the iPhone interface - and I'm not *entirely* sold on the Maemo interface (although it's a bit better). I do like the Cupcake and Donut interfaces... and am looking at the 2.1+ vids of Android on the Nexus and what not and - as is normal - the more everyone else thinks it's going great: I think it's turning ugly.

They're all.. bubbly. Give me a standard run-of-the mill gnome desktop with 3D/compiz disabled and I'm happy. But.. the general population have by and large showed that they love bubbly.. jumping icons and pretty pictures make the consumers feel fuzzy.

So... the fact that I am currently using my netbook with an OS that makes me want to throw it out the window... means that about 95% of the people of this forum will probably love it! Especially since we have a growing number of Windows and Mac users!

So really.... whether or not this OS has any hardware that comes with it by default does not mean it's lacking in quality or is somehow a bad OS. In fact it's quite nicely built from what I can tell, and short of a few annoyances I have with it (ignoring the bubbly) - certainly gets the job done.

I'm very interested to see what comes of the Moblin team joining with the Maemo team. I suspect MeeGo just might give the iPhone a run for it's money.
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

The Following User Says Thank You to fatalsaint For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
My concern is that MeeGo will not give the freedom meomo has deliver until now.
Do you mind elaborating?

Posts: 85 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Kuopio
Originally Posted by daemonfin View Post
What happens to Nokia's hands boot video?
Nokia hands get chopped off by those MeeGo-characters. It's pretty messy.