Poll: Have you had charging or USB problems with your N900
Poll Options
Have you had charging or USB problems with your N900

Posts: 76 | Thanked: 41 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Germany
Originally Posted by cr0c0 View Post
Can anyone post some pictures of the motherboard?
If you'd read through the whole thread thoroughly, you'd seen this some pages ago

The Following User Says Thank You to MrWeasel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 147 | Thanked: 228 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Toronto, Canada
Originally Posted by MrWeasel View Post
If you'd read through the whole thread thoroughly, you'd seen this some pages ago
I saw that, but when I click the link with mozilla it asks me to save "retrieve.cgi". Will try IE.

Edit: I still get the same retrieve.cgi in IE as well. Can't view or save the actual file.

Edit2: I took the N900 apart. The disassembly clip floating on Youtube is wrong with respect to taking out the system board. It's not difficult at all, I'll post a description with pics later. And as I suspected, there's PLENTY of room for epoxy.

Now my N900 is week 3, 2010, and I can vouch Nokia hasn't changed a thing in the USB port design. Still surface mount, and the solder points look very flimsy.

Last edited by cr0c0; 2010-02-21 at 19:44.

The Following User Says Thank You to cr0c0 For This Useful Post:
Texrat -

I have my phone for about 3 weeks and there is no indication of the usb problem. My phone manufacturing date shows up as 51/2009, Korea. When/where was your phone made? Would be eager to keep a track on the failure rates and their manufacturing time/location...

Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
I can say that after a few weeks my replacement N900 is holding up well. That's no guarantee that the micro USB root cause issue was corrected, but it's an encouraging indicator so far.

Posts: 311 | Thanked: 180 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ London
@All, I think we should start making a proper list of People who had luck getting their devices repaired/exchanged. Of cause all strictly confidential. What do you guys think? I think this would certainly allow us to put extra pressure on Nokia.

Posts: 76 | Thanked: 41 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Germany
Originally Posted by cr0c0 View Post
I saw that, but when I click the link with mozilla it asks me to save "retrieve.cgi". Will try IE.

Edit: I still get the same retrieve.cgi in IE as well. Can't view or save the actual file.
I also get "retrieve.cgi" with firefox, but that file can actually be opened with the pdf-reader of your choice. (Otherwise try renaming to *.pdf). Please report any progress you make with "glueing" your usb-port.

Many people have stated they would do that, but actual pictures still missing (picture or it didn't happen )

Posts: 1,283 | Thanked: 370 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ South Florida
I also get "retrieve.cgi" with firefox, but that file can actually be opened with the pdf-reader of your choice. (Otherwise try renaming to *.pdf). Please report any progress you make with "glueing" your usb-port.

Many people have stated they would do that, but actual pictures still missing (picture or it didn't happen )
Firefox works perfect for me.

Posts: 147 | Thanked: 228 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Toronto, Canada

Thanks, once I renamed it to .pdf, it worked. So my late production N900 looks identical to those pictures. But I cannot remove the second layer PCB because it's glued with dual sided sticky foam of some sort, and a black plastic support.

Now I need to make a decision. I have two options:

- apply a lot (a couple of drops really) of epoxy, bonding the USB port to that upper PCB as well as the lower PCB
- apply just a bit (less than a drop), and only attach the USB port to the lower PCB.

I'm thinking of going for the first option. Might as well, since that's the only way to ensure the USB port isn't going anywhere.

Edit: And it's done. The whole USB port is encased in epoxy, and is sandwiched between the lower and upped PCBs. Given my past experiences with epoxy, unless the phone will take a direct hit with the charger plugged in, the USB port isn't going anywhere anymore.

I'll post pictures and start a new thread tomorrow. I just wanted to let you guys know that my N900 still works perfectly, and if done correctly, disassembling it will not affect it at all.

Last edited by cr0c0; 2010-02-21 at 21:58.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cr0c0 For This Useful Post:
I just found these :0)

http://www.techtree.com/India/News/N...09463-893.html

http://www.top10.co.uk/mobilephones/...evelops_flaws/

type nokia n900 into google and click the news tab

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nappleton For This Useful Post:
"This happens because the prongs that hold the charger port are too tight."

"Nokia has acknowledged this as a hardware issue and has clarified that this affects only a very limited number of N900s shipped. While stopping short of a product recall, Nokia has said that the issue can be fixed by simply taking the affected phone to a Nokia service centre."

Why in the first place would this be a problem. It says while stopping short of a recall.
I dont see how some could be too tight and some are fine, that makes no sense to me if they were all manufactured in the same way.

Ok this time, the Nokia Care accepted to take my N900. Just need to wait 2 weeks now.

Wait and see

The Following User Says Thank You to Bouloute For This Useful Post:

Tags
bad design, broken, charging, failure, hardware, loose, microusb, microusb port, n900, nokia, part, port, repair, return, surface mount, usb, usb port, warranty