Active Topics

About products karma. There was a Brainstorm (I think) about apps getting karma based on the amount of downloads. Has this been implemented? Or was this rejected?

Posts: 1,070 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by bergie View Post
Currently we get a CSV dump of bugzilla accounts and their bug creation and comment numbers. The script that generates the dump could possibly be tuned to ignore invalid bug items
Invalid and duplicates would be great.

The Following User Says Thank You to VDVsx For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Currently we get a CSV dump of bugzilla accounts and their bug creation and comment numbers. The script that generates the dump could possibly be tuned to ignore invalid bug items
Just as long as it's only DUPLICATE reports. INVALID resolutions are too often more "Nokia is stupid" rather than actually INVALID.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Posts: 381 | Thanked: 847 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by Sasler View Post
About products karma. There was a Brainstorm (I think) about apps getting karma based on the amount of downloads. Has this been implemented? Or was this rejected?
That is now implemented for Maemo 5 apps. And app karma has a decaying algorithm, so to stay on top you need to consistently get new downloads and reviews.

However, user karma for "products" doesn't take this into account because of the decaying component. It only looks at the stars the app has received.

The Following User Says Thank You to bergie For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by lcuk View Post
we should just forget karma and go for high scores on n900fly
I want to thank that but you have enough encouragement.

Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
I want to thank that but you have enough encouragement.
Oh come on.. you have to see the benefit of giving him Karma for a post joking about removing Karma.

It's just all around the perfect post to thank .
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Remembering some old game-designer-days... How about doing this top-down ? I mean, we can set up a scoring scheme and set on to discover who is the big winner in the new scenario, but maybe it would be easier to go the other way round. Say there is a karma pool for an area (wiki, blogs, etc), and then split that karma across participants. Their internal relations will not change (more karma is still more karma), and karma inflation will be more easy to control. This would also have the side effect of moving karma whores to areas that have less people working on them (=better karma density). It's also more indicative then a general number and arguably reflects 'activity' better. Obviously to maintain real value and prevent deflation, you need to accomodate the total karma in accordance with the GCP (gross community product), for example scaling the karma pool with the number of (active) members on talk, number of applications in extras, etc. I also like achievements-style notices (Ubuntu does this, too) like 'Extras general (10+ apps in extras)', 'Bugsquad lt. (25+ bugs reported/triaged)', 'Wiki sage (100+ wiki edits)', 'Forum master (1000+ thanks)' both for (not condescending) bragging rights and getting to know what people actually DO in a fun manner without digging through karma tables. Okay, so, that would be the completely out there off-topic gaming approach many will dismiss off-hand , but now, seriously, a step back to gain a little top-down insight could be useful in this case to clarify (again) what goals we want to reach with the (approximative metric) of karma.

PS. Also, it's hard to define the usefulness of karma. Yes, sure, we see the destructive effects as they tend to be more noticeable (like when the N900 DDP program turned the karma game into a deadly serious device contest). On the other hand, the small little plusses that karma motivation gives, while present, will hardly manifest directly, making a final conclusion difficult.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
This is why we did a little bit of tweaking to bug reporting and thumbs karma, in order to ensure they don't overwhelm the other karma categories.
Right, so it wasn't a bug after all but intentional, and done without community consensus or even debate :-(

While I don't see karma as very useful, as long as it's there having such a low value for bugzilla activity (does this look right to anyone?) sends completely the wrong message.

To everyone who filed bug reports and especially what's left of the bugsquad: please don't be discouraged, your contributions are valued regardless of what some pointless vanity number in your profile page says.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
It would be nice to see how karma is calculated. This wiki page seems to have old info.

I would like to see that the most valuable contributions would get most karma. Personally I feel this should be the order of value (some of them in shared position):
  1. Products
  2. Bugzilla, Package testing
  3. Wiki
  4. Blogs, Brainstorm
  5. Comments
  6. Groups, Discussion
  7. Talk thanks
  8. Talk posts
  9. Favourites

The Following User Says Thank You to Sasler For This Useful Post:
Posts: 381 | Thanked: 847 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by Sasler View Post
It would be nice to see how karma is calculated. This wiki page seems to have old info.
Updated: http://wiki.maemo.org/Karma#Weights

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to bergie For This Useful Post: