Posts: 156 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Scotland
LOL! That's a good one.

Posts: 604 | Thanked: 108 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Phoenix, WA
You wanna support a future generation of pharmaceutical drug dependant children?

Posts: 287 | Thanked: 165 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ The Netherlands
Three pages further and no serious solution yet.

Maybe the poster has a serious reason for wanting his phone germ free..

Hi there,

to OP: maybe something like this could help: http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/security/8f84/

Regards,
Glasswalker

Posts: 18 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Tyne and Wear
Monk is that you?

I was completely serious guys.. I hate letting people use my N900 and sneeze/spit all over it while talking on it.

Anyone here with me?

Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
Originally Posted by mail_e36 View Post
I was completely serious guys.. I hate letting people use my N900 and sneeze/spit all over it while talking on it.
Seriously, unless you have some sort of immunodefiency, you are worrying too much about "germs". Anything beoynd regular clean up makes no sense. Sterilizing your everyday items is almost allways useless, and at worst you're keeping your body's immunosystems away from regular contacts with natural microbes and thus risking more serious infection if you actually get infected by a pathogen. White blood cells in your body are constantly probing and tasting the microbial surroudings within your body. By limiting their exposure to normal microbial flora of your surroudings you are making your immune system less effective.

Vertebrate body is a result of 3 billion+ years of evolution. It comes fully equipped with beautiful array of defense mechanisms. Let your immune system worry about microbes. Germphobia is only good for snakeoil salesmen of the chemichal industry.

Make sure to stand at least 3 meters apart from every human being, mamalian, bird and fish on this planet, if you are that worried about catching small amount of bodily fluids. Increase the distance if these creatures are breathing heavily or sneezing.

Ps. Hope you don't take that as personal attack. It's just that for a microbiologist these irrational fears about germs and bugs are somewhat silly. It's hard not to at least try talk some sense.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Rauha For This Useful Post:
I appreciate your point of view and professional opinion. But no matter how much I logically understand that germs are not always harmful, it simply does not seem like a good idea to have someone sneeze/spit all over my phone and then having me hold it up to my face (and thus, touch my face with it) in order to use it.

Somehow, it just seems like a bad idea. Kinda like pulling a piece of bubble gum off a grimy street and putting it in your mouth... I'm sure you'd be okay after doing that, but it just does not seem like a good idea.

Originally Posted by Rauha View Post
Seriously, unless you have some sort of immunodefiency, you are worrying too much about "germs". Anything beoynd regular clean up makes no sense. Sterilizing your everyday items is almost allways useless, and at worst you're keeping your body's immunosystems away from regular contacts with natural microbes and thus risking more serious infection if you actually get infected by a pathogen. White blood cells in your body are constantly probing and tasting the microbial surroudings within your body. By limiting their exposure to normal microbial flora of your surroudings you are making your immune system less effective.

Vertebrate body is a result of 3 billion+ years of evolution. It comes fully equipped with beautiful array of defense mechanisms. Let your immune system worry about microbes. Germphobia is only good for snakeoil salesmen of the chemichal industry.

Make sure to stand at least 3 meters apart from every human being, mamalian, bird and fish on this planet, if you are that worried about catching small amount of bodily fluids. Increase the distance if these creatures are breathing heavily or sneezing.

Ps. Hope you don't take that as personal attack. It's just that for a microbiologist these irrational fears about germs and bugs are somewhat silly. It's hard not to at least try talk some sense.

Put it in the microwave for a minute and all the germs will die

Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
Is there any particular reason you are afraid to use isopropanol on the N900 vs. other phones? I think you should just use the wipes...gently. The plastic should be impervious to a brief exposure of that.

In fact, i used a bit of 100% isopropanol to clean the grime off my screen before i put on the screen protector. It was the least aggressive solvent i had in the lab.

Unofficial PR1.3/Meego 1.1 FAQ

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?
MAME: an arcade in your pocket
Accelemymote: make your accelerometer more joy-ful

Last edited by Flandry; 2010-03-02 at 16:52.