Hi guys i just got my N900 today and i am quickly trying to absorb as much info as possible, i found this forum from the Vodafone website and it seems very cool so far.

Anyway back to my topic question what are the first 5-10 things i should really do before i start using my n900 properly?.

Also i have very little Linux experience is that ok for people to post here? one of the reasons i was a little scared of getting the N900 is that a lot of people using it seem very tech savvy and know a lot about how to do this and that heh.

Oh well enough rambling on

The Following User Says Thank You to Maca0716 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 42 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hampshire, UK
download some very handy apps like data monitor, conversations app, pidgin (msn), jukispot is also helpful depends what u want to do

Posts: 3,203 | Thanked: 1,391 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Worthing, England
Originally Posted by Maca0716 View Post
Hi guys i just got my N900 today and i am quickly trying to absorb as much info as possible, i found this forum from the Vodafone website and it seems very cool so far.

Anyway back to my topic question what are the first 5-10 things i should really do before i start using my n900 properly?.

Also i have very little Linux experience is that ok for people to post here? one of the reasons i was a little scared of getting the N900 is that a lot of people using it seem very tech savvy and know a lot about how to do this and that heh.

Welcome to the forums!!!
And welcome to the land of Maemo

There are looooads of things you can read up on, so may take you a few weeks, hehe.
Do not worry about the linux part - i started with no knowledge whatsoever - only way to learn is to try

Best starting point is here - http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=36978

Then there are a few more places

The Maemo5 101
The Wiki FAQ - Frequently asked questions

Searching N900 on the wiki brings up other juicy pages too

Those should be good starters
edit - if you spot someone with Maemo Greeter in their signature - feel free to message them for help (Or me lol)
----------- Are you on the N900 World Map? - http://pininthemap.com/maemo - masterpin: shotgun
----------- What apps do you want to see on the n900 or in MeeGo in the future? -

Last edited by noobmonkey; 2010-03-04 at 15:42.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to noobmonkey For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by noobmonkey View Post
Welcome to the forums!!!
And welcome to the land of Maemo

There are looooads of things you can read up on, so may take you a few weeks, hehe.
Do not worry about the linux part - i started with no knowledge whatsoever - only way to learn is to try

Best starting point is here - http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=36978

Then there are a few more places

The Maemo5 101
The Wiki FAQ - Frequently asked questions

Searching N900 on the wiki brings up other juicy pages too

Those should be good starters
edit - if you spot someone with Maemo Greeter in their signature - feel free to message them for help (Or me lol)
Wow, you wrote it or copied it??

Originally Posted by rsegerda@sina.com View Post
Wow, you wrote it or copied it??
Wrote the post, copied the links from the wiki lol
----------- Are you on the N900 World Map? - http://pininthemap.com/maemo - masterpin: shotgun
----------- What apps do you want to see on the n900 or in MeeGo in the future? -

Posts: 38 | Thanked: 41 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Australia
You'll want to enable the extras repository and make sure you're using the latest firmware version (update in app manager).

Welcome :-)

Originally Posted by DanielMartin View Post
You'll want to enable the extras repository and make sure you're using the latest firmware version (update in app manager).

Don;t forget the bit at the end of the page lol...

"The software hosted in extras-testing might not be ready for end users!"

But yes, if you are happy to help testing, and understand the possible risks... go for it

Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
Originally Posted by DanielMartin View Post

Extras (now called "maemo.org" in Application Manager) is enabled by default in the latest firmware, so by doing the second thing you mention, the user shouldn't have to do the first thing.

Posts: 604 | Thanked: 108 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Phoenix, WA

Welcome

You're gonna love the first few weeks of your N900 (and then its all downhill from there... HAHA just kidding)

heres the link to my thread, I had received some helpful pointers there too

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=44309

The Following User Says Thank You to SAABoy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 34 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ London

Buy a silicone case and screen protector from mobileden.co.uk

I have had my phone for three months now and have no scratches, cracks or dents. The screen protector allows me to see the display in direct sunlight and I bounced my N900 on the floor twice, one from the cross trainer in the gym and on concrete outside on the street. I shudder to think what it would look like if I had not invested some cash for the silicone case.