Poll: Do you think its possible to overclock the N900?!
Poll Options
Do you think its possible to overclock the N900?!

Posts: 276 | Thanked: 109 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Vancouver,Canada / Dubai,UAE
Originally Posted by biggzy View Post
On Device Flashing.

Download one of the kernels below and place it on root of the mass memory, otherwise known as MyDocs.

700mhz

750mhz

800mhz

825mhz

900mhz

Run X Term and become root, then type fiasco-image-update /home/user/MyDocs/zImagexxx.fiasco

Replace the xxx with correct mhz number, e.g. if your flashing the 800mhz you need to type fiasco-image-update /home/user/MyDocs/zImage800.fiasco

Remember X Term is case sensitive.

Once done please reboot.

This worked for me running PR1.1

If you want to return to the stock kernel then open X Terminal and become root, then use the following command apt-get --reinstall install kernel kernel-flasher and reboot.
Thanks a lot , I wanted to know if I go back to stock kernel , can I update the phone over the air and the "about" in setting is going to show the firmware version ?

Cheers

hi when i try
sudo gainroot
apt-get install --reinstall mp-fremantle-generic-pr or
apt-get install --reinstall mp-fremantle-003-pr
it fails this is what i get below is there another way/command to try?

BusyBox v1.10.2 (Debian 3:1.10.2.legal-1osso26+0m5) built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

~ $ sudo gainroot
Root shell enabled

BusyBox v1.10.2 (Debian 3:1.10.2.legal-1osso26+0m5) built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

/home/user # apt-get install --reinstall mp-fremantle-generic-pr
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Package mp-fremantle-generic-pr is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source
E: Package mp-fremantle-generic-pr has no installation candidate
/home/user #
thanks craig

Im running 900mhz with the 500DSP, have been for about 48 hours now and did it using the onboard flasher, not had a single reboot, phone is much faster, battery life is better, not getting any warmer then normal, youtube videos run smooth and I still have my info in the about product page.

So far.. very happy!

The Following User Says Thank You to kevinm2k For This Useful Post:
i have flashed 800Mhz one from device and info still there

@hycraig

try:

dpkg -l |grep mp-fremantle

And look for similarities. Just reinstall the one which seams to be "right". "dpkg -l" only shows installed package - so you can't damage something.

Last edited by miwalter; 2010-04-06 at 10:09. Reason: lost quoting

The Following User Says Thank You to miwalter For This Useful Post:
Posts: 716 | Thanked: 303 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Sheffield, UK
Originally Posted by jakiman View Post
I'm fairly sure it will revert back to "normal" non-overclocked state after the PR1.2 update. I've noted about this in my guide I believe. Check my sig.

And yes, OTA will work just fine. But I do recommend for everyone to perform major firmware updates without the N900 overclocked. This should just be common sense to anyone who performs the overclock.
Personally I would recommend to do major updates by a complete reflash, it leaves less junk lying around. Its the same as desktop Linux or even Windows. An upgrade works, but a complete reinstall with an already updated version works better.

I updated to PR1.1 OTA and then later flashed the global PR1.1 so I could get PR1.1.1 in the UK. My N900 was far faster after a complete reflash rather than an upgrade and I got a clean slate to install less extras-devel packages on, as I knew then which were useful and which weren't.

As for overclocking, presumably after PR1.2 comes out there will be a new kernel source out also that you will be able to patch the same as now. So everyone will be able to flash back to 900Mhz within minutes of PR1.2 release, assuming the kernel source is released at the same time. In reality I would expect the kernel source to show up BEFORE the firmware, as they have to compile it from somewhere after all.

My Websites
CSD Projects - Flickr - UAE4Maemo (UAE4All Compatibility List)

Favourite N900 Applications
Picodrive - UAE4All

Please post your UAE4All compatibility reports. Even better, post them to my UAE4Maemo site!
Not sure how UAE4All works such as mouse emulation? Read the FAQ.

Hi all,

Just a reminder that overclocking is one of the ways that you actually do void any sort of warranty on the device.

There is a reason for designing the device to run at 600MHz, and that is to keep it stable and safe.

In the Maemo Summit there was a lightning talk by Igor Stoppa on power management, and the only line I remember from it is: "Please don't overclock the CPU."

Tero

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to tekojo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 170 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ reading, uk
Originally Posted by nokian-series View Post
I have the 900 Mhz Kernel
I used: apt-get install --reinstall mp-fremantle-003-pr , then reboot, and the information is back again

And i still have the 900 Mhz runing.
So.. no side effects?

Can anyone explain what it does, since i thing the 900 Mhz kernel is not affected and the device info is back.

Thanks you all
can you tell me exactly what you typed in xterm please.

Originally Posted by tekojo View Post
Hi all,

Just a reminder that overclocking is one of the ways that you actually do void any sort of warranty on the device.

There is a reason for designing the device to run at 600MHz, and that is to keep it stable and safe.

In the Maemo Summit there was a lightning talk by Igor Stoppa on power management, and the only line I remember from it is: "Please don't overclock the CPU."

Tero
Haha...I overclocked to 800 mhz 5 mins ago but you've convinced me to go back to stock for now...I think I'll wait for a few weeks to see if anyone has had any problems..
Sorry for not wanting to be the guinea pig..i really like this phone

I'm running the 825 kernel with smart reflex enabled and it's working fine. With the 850/450 one it crashed the first time I played a flash video through the browser. Disabled smart reflex made the 850 work ok. 900 wasn't even booting with smart reflex enabled (usually crashed just after the NOKIA logo), but I haven't tried with smart reflex disabled.
In conclusion, 825 with the battery life benefits of smart reflex was a good choice for me.

Tags
cooking on gas, cortex-a8, faster, first to fry it wins!, hardware, its smoking, n900, need for speed, need for weed, nos, omap, omap3, omap3430, overclock, overclocking, soc, system-on-a-chip, the dogs, this thread got good!, vtec just kicked in y0!, warranty will be void, whooplah, zoom zoom