Active Topics

Notices

Originally Posted by jacekowski View Post
to install version from extras-devel you have to remove libxss manualy as it's replaced by libxss1 - and package is in repository (http://maemo.org/packages/view/chromium/)
can u please explain how to remove libxss?
thank u!

Originally Posted by zaoltryence View Post
just tried zoomy and dblclickzoomin works fine here
So no zooming issue anymore?

Originally Posted by jean2323 View Post
can u please explain how to remove libxss?
thank u!
Just go to that page frm ur n900 and click on the libxss....deb save it in documents
in terminal
sudo gainroot
cd MyDocs
cd .documents
dpkg -i libxss1....

to get the filename in the last command hit cntrl+i

Hope that helps

Lots of thanks to jacekowski for the Port and ofcourse for pointing me to the right direction

The Following User Says Thank You to Omkar For This Useful Post:
So I've been playing around with the browser and have had similar experiences with the caps lock. I have not experienced the speed that everyone has been talking about. My test sites have been ESPN and Engadget and both have been very slow to load compared to MicroB.

I love the fact that I can have Chrome on my n900 and show off to all my 3GS friends the true power of open source.

Does anyone else have processor issues when running Chromium? Is there something in the settings that I can adjust so it doesn't hang up on multiple tabs?

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Okey. This is embarrassing. After hype here i tried this and i could not get kinetic scrolling working, it just selects text when i try to swipe. Because no one says about it i assume that i'am alone :|

@sregular
Yes and i love the power of OS also except i would like to show/use apps that are not just proof of concept and end of story.

.edit
ok.i need touch extension.Has anyone collected links to extension that you need to make this usable.

..edit
Feels quite good but UI is not optimized for small screen and kinetic scrolling doesn't always work. I will stay in microb, which probably will be updated with 1.2. But it's always nice to see tryouts.

Last edited by slender; 2010-04-13 at 06:22.

Originally Posted by sregular View Post
[...]
I love the fact that I can have Chrome on my n900 and show off to all my 3GS friends the true power of open source.
[...]
Too bad they just released Opera Mini for the iPhone which works a lot better than the standard safari browser (definitely beats it in speed, can't argue about that). So if you start to brag about Chromium prepare to loose the battle since it doesn't even work half as good as Opera mini. So showing Chromium isn't (yet) a very good argument for supporting the power of open source because it still doesn't work well xD just cool it's possible.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpTCS...layer_embedded
Would like to see something similar for N900

Originally Posted by slender View Post
[...]
.edit
ok.i need touch extension.Has anyone collected links to extension that you need to make this usable.
[...]
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=166
perhaps

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Originally Posted by slender View Post
Okey. This is embarrassing. After hype here i tried this and i could not get kinetic scrolling working, it just selects text when i try to swipe. Because no one says about it i assume that i'am alone :|
But I found I could scroll with the arrow keys, which worked well enough.

This is a good beginning, not a finished item.

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Restap View Post
... So showing Chromium isn't (yet) a very good argument for supporting the power of open source because it still doesn't work well xD just cool it's possible.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpTCS...layer_embedded
Would like to see something similar for N900
Shtassfck that's fast.
Yes i know some web elements are compressed but i do not care. Especially going back is like it should be. Instant.

Yeah jeez - this thing is brilliant!! Didn't know what to expect on install, but this blows me away. Not sure I like screen navigation using arrow keys/scroll bars - but yeah... impressive!

EDIT: Sorry - just read through a dozen pages or so and came across the touch extension. Fab!

Last edited by stayloa; 2010-04-13 at 10:21.

Originally Posted by Restap View Post
Too bad they just released Opera Mini for the iPhone which works a lot better than the standard safari browser (definitely beats it in speed, can't argue about that). So if you start to brag about Chromium prepare to loose the battle since it doesn't even work half as good as Opera mini. So showing Chromium isn't (yet) a very good argument for supporting the power of open source because it still doesn't work well xD just cool it's possible.
The argument isn't that it runs better than Opera, it's that a browser for a real (real being non-mobile based) OS is able to run on the phone. Everything on the iPhone is tailored made to run.

As you can see from how Chromium is implemented here, this is not hte case for the N900.

I think bragging rights are still very much in order.

Try something like that on the iPhone. Oh wait you can't, without jailbreaking it. And after iPhone 4, you'll really be screwed, as it's apple way or the highway.

2d

2d

The Following User Says Thank You to 2disbetter For This Useful Post:

Tags
alternative browser, alternative web browser, browser, browser war, browserd fix, chrome, chromium, fremantle, google, inferior compared to ff, maemo, maemo 5, maemo browser alternative, maemo browser war, microb alternative, microb killer, web browser