Active Topics

I sure hope the do something about the app manager. I'm testing stuff and ti's getting on my nerves.

It's slower than a 386!

Last edited by Bec; 2010-04-14 at 23:41. Reason: sorry, brainfart

Banned | Posts: 206 | Thanked: 118 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Vancouver
Originally Posted by Bec View Post
I sure hope the do something about the app manager. I'm testing stuff and ti's getting on my nerves.

It's slower than a 386!
try running a package manager on any 386 and see what happens

It looks to me like some very heavy indexing is going on in there. Perhaps something could be done to ease the process, like an xml list of apps or so...

Posts: 635 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Black Mesa Research Facility
MeeGo is damn ugly, it's like some WM7 rip-off.

Posts: 125 | Thanked: 35 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Jack6428 View Post
MeeGo is damn ugly, it's like some WM7 rip-off.
Brief guide to "MeeGo screenshots" in general:

- The only MeeGo real screenshots are the ones coming from a real MeeGo release. Take the rest as potential previews, concepts, proposals...

- MeeGo screenshots can refer to one or many UX categories. Nobody is trying to squeeze the Netbook UX in a handset etc.

- MeeGo screenshots can refer to the system UI or applications. Then vendors can ship their devices with those apps or another, with that same system UX or a different one (changing the theme or bringing deeper changes).

- MeeGo screenshots might show the UI of a specific release, but of course the UIs can and probably will evolve between releases.

- MeeGo is themable. Colors, icons, fonts are the most volatile aspects in MeeGo screenshots since this is most probably the first thing a vendor will customize, and even yourselves as users.

- MeeGo is by definition device neutral. Don't make big conclusions about the sizes and proportions of MeeGo screenshots since vendors have the freedom to design products with different display resolutions.

Now speaking for Nokia as a MeeGo vendor, and with Harmattan in mind:

- Nokia is leading the development of the UI framework providing the Handset UX. The same enablers (the same DNA, if you wish) are expected in the official MeeGo releases and the Nokia handsets based on MeeGo.

- Nokia is working on a user experience for handsets based on MeeGo that Nokia users recognize as distinctively from Nokia. For instance, most official applications in Nokia devices based on MeeGo will be different than the reference apps provided by the MeeGo project.

And answering the question about landscape/portrait support, the MeeGo project hasn't published a roadmap with that information yet but Nokia devices based on MeeGo will come with full landscape and portrait support. This was already announced in the Maemo Summit last year and we are keepind that plan.

Originally Posted by wazd View Post
I'm seing non-wvga resolution (more n97 like) and lots of senseless info. I'm working on a short 2m video bout my vision of MeeGo UI. Some tiny part of it for example:

I hope to release it before major MeeGo announcement just to compare my work with whole maemo/meego design unit results.
That looks slick. Does anyone really know if MeeGo will have a really strong community like this one?

Posts: 291 | Thanked: 313 times | Joined on May 2010 @ France

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by sregular View Post
That looks slick. Does anyone really know if MeeGo will have a really strong community like this one?
Strong? You mean, optimistic like this community used to be or fragmented like this community is now?

Originally Posted by dtergens View Post
screenshots of meego-phone : http://mynokiablog.com/2010/06/02/pi...o-handheld-ux/
That looks like the MeeGo "base" UI.

Vínculos interesantes si nos visitas por primera vez (en inglés): New members say hello , New users start here, Community subforum, Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 101, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Si te puedo ayudar con cualquier otra cosa, sólo dilo!