Active Topics

Poll: Have you had charging or USB problems with your N900
Poll Options
Have you had charging or USB problems with your N900

sometimes the solder spots on the prints are not what they need to be. i had a n96 with the volume button broken off the print. they fixed it right away in a service center. i guess they can do this too with the n900 if the USB connector get loose.

Im more worried by the flexcable connecting the screen to the main board. most of these flex cables die within one year of extreme use. (and im an extreme user!) A friend of me bought my n95 and his flexcable was broken within one week. (just sold it in time )
The flex cable is pretty tight between upper and lower part of the device resulting in making the flexcable bend to its limits everytime its opened and closed

my n900s charger port came out, so like any reasonable human i went to the nokia care centre, they sent it away and i got it back yesterday. THEY DIDNT FIX IT!!! instead they sent it bak with a photograph citing physical damage!! and to make it worse my n900 no loner slides up. seems as though the idiots nokia employ couldnt replace my casing properly and wen i finaly got it to slide up (yes it takes a real effort) the inards of my n900 are exposed... my keyboard isnt fitted properly and iv been waiting for 1hour and 43mins, still waiting on the fone to complain to nokia about this. has anyone succesfully had their n900 returned and fixed, with an apology? because i for 1 now seriously regret spending my hard earned money on this product. i hate to admit it, the ifone seems better

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
If you read this thread carefully you will see other examples of people who have had their N900s fixed; sometimes it took them more than one try, so you aren't alone.

In one of those messages you must have missed they say that sometimes the N900 gets sent to third-party repair people who don't understand this is a known issue.

I haven't read this thread very carefully myself, because I don't have this problem. I was worried about it for awhile, but it seems fine on my N900. Also, since I don't usually charge batteries on the phone, but in a separate charger, I don't use the USB connection that often.

The Following User Says Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by nok900 View Post
my n900s charger port came out, so like any reasonable human i went to the nokia care centre, they sent it away and i got it back yesterday. THEY DIDNT FIX IT!!! instead they sent it bak with a photograph citing physical damage!! and to make it worse my n900 no loner slides up. seems as though the idiots nokia employ couldnt replace my casing properly and wen i finaly got it to slide up (yes it takes a real effort) the inards of my n900 are exposed... my keyboard isnt fitted properly and iv been waiting for 1hour and 43mins, still waiting on the fone to complain to nokia about this. has anyone succesfully had their n900 returned and fixed, with an apology? because i for 1 now seriously regret spending my hard earned money on this product. i hate to admit it, the ifone seems better
I understand your pain....

My phone broke early Feb. Sent to Regeneris who are the repair people in the uk and waited.

1 week later i called to see where my phone was and they replied that there was damage to the pcb and would not be covered by the warranty so they were sending it back un-repaired (thats ok its insured either way its getting fixed)

3 weeks later still no phone returned to me.........

100 phone calls daily and...

2 weeks later they admit its lost in the system and are ordering me a new one....

Waiting and calling, waiting and wondering....

3 weeks later they finally recieve the phone and tell me it will be here in two days!!!!! YAY!!!!

3 days later I call again..its on its way back to them as the delivery driver could not find my address, they will send it back out when it arrives...

**** **** **********!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Following User Says Thank You to b15cu1t For This Useful Post:
Long read but important-thanks all for posting for a newbie! I will be getting my N900 delivered Saturday or Monday. I plan to file prongs immediately. I have also ordered extra battery and desktop battery charger and will just be switching batteries daily. Bit of a PITA but should save ware and tear(literally) on the micro usb port.
Thanks guys,
Doc

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Originally Posted by DoctorA View Post
Long read but important-thanks all for posting for a newbie! I will be getting my N900 delivered Saturday or Monday. I plan to file prongs immediately. I have also ordered extra battery and desktop battery charger and will just be switching batteries daily. Bit of a PITA but should save ware and tear(literally) on the micro usb port.
Thanks guys,
Doc
Switching batteries is just a better all-round solution, I think. Don't be deterred if you find taking off the cover difficult at first -- it takes getting used to, but it gets easier very quickly. I change mine in way under ten seconds.

The Following User Says Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
removing the teeth on the usb plug should prevent you from pulling the port out, since you no longer need to yank it out with force

was wondering why nokia even put those teeth on the plug

Posts: 1,283 | Thanked: 370 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ South Florida
Originally Posted by theclueless View Post
removing the teeth on the usb plug should prevent you from pulling the port out, since you no longer need to yank it out with force

was wondering why nokia even put those teeth on the plug
They are on all the plugs I have. Nokia or not.

My phone just got sent back to the shop I sent it to Nokia Care from, apparently they won't cover it under the warranty because "there is evidence of user damage". Well done Nokia, lost another customer, time for an insurance claim...

Last edited by Wichall; 2010-05-06 at 14:56.

Posts: 1,283 | Thanked: 370 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ South Florida
This BS from Nokia is disconcerting. They obviously have a plan to deny as many as possible and ignore the problem. What a bunch of idiots.

If they wanted to, how hard is it to send out an email saying our policy is to replace all these, no questions asked, during the warranty period?

I think they have sent out an email to the contrary. I think their plan is to replace as few as possible. I was burned before with their Communicator series and the problems with their clamshell hinges breaking. I stayed away for 3 years. Came back for the N900, hoping they had got their CHIT together. Nope, still total idiots. That's it, count me out for their next scam.

Any company can make a mistake. It's how they handle the mistake that determines whether you ever do business with them again.

Tags
bad design, broken, charging, failure, hardware, loose, microusb, microusb port, n900, nokia, part, port, repair, return, surface mount, usb, usb port, warranty