Notices

this is the app i want in the maemo world yesterday

http://www.androiddatabase.info/

i can put up $400 or my extra n900 to help get this done.

app should use latest available qt and be in c++ and be gplv2 with source

if there is someone who wants to tackle this please let me know here or by PM. i will set this project up on odesk or rentacoder or your choice of escrow money for code type services.

if you are a user who wants to help by increasing this bounty, i will find a way to do this in a responsible way with paypal or some type of escrow service online. i hope some will join as $400 is not very much in my opinion for this project, but it is a good chunk of a start

Posts: 336 | Thanked: 610 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ France
I'm actually working on a project like this as we speak. However it will be in python/gtk initially, probably Qt when PR1.2 is available. Not wanting any money for it either.

Will see if I can post a preview soon. Probably by the end of next week. I have to figure out some stuff with regards to usability though, for example how do you display more than x columns? Implement scrolling? Etc. Will let you know how it goes.

Edit: The backend will be using SQLite3.

The Following User Says Thank You to CrashandDie For This Useful Post:
Posts: 226 | Thanked: 63 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Maldives
Doesn't Glom function similarly?

Posts: 726 | Thanked: 345 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Sweden
Looking at the link from OP and reading the following:
Uses underlying SQLite Android databases for reliability and performance. However, no SQL is required.
This suggests that any text based DB, like Berkeley DB, would be enough. Unless something special is meant by the lack of need for SQL...

Posts: 336 | Thanked: 610 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ France
Originally Posted by Joorin View Post
Unless something special is meant by the lack of need for SQL...
No, they simply explain that Android's native built-in database is used for performance, but that there is no requirement to know/use any kind of SQL language in order to use the application.

Originally Posted by nashith View Post
Doesn't Glom function similarly?
yes, i checked out glom, but it currently cant create a new database on the device itself

also glomis mor concerned about presenting an input and presentation layer on top of the data making it kind of heavy and higher level than i would like.

Originally Posted by CrashandDie View Post
I'm actually working on a project like this as we speak. However it will be in python/gtk initially, probably Qt when PR1.2 is available. Not wanting any money for it either.

Will see if I can post a preview soon. Probably by the end of next week. I have to figure out some stuff with regards to usability though, for example how do you display more than x columns? Implement scrolling? Etc. Will let you know how it goes.

Edit: The backend will be using SQLite3.
awesome. thanks for sharing. can't wait

i only said qt c++ so it would be more portable and sustainable in the future if whoever stepped up was just a mercenary.

Posts: 35 | Thanked: 64 times | Joined on Aug 2006 @ Somerville, MA
PortaBase is basically this kind of application, and I'm just about done porting it to Maemo (I bought an N900 last week, I'd been working on a Diablo port for my N810 prior to that). The plan is to have a 2.0 release for Fremantle, Diablo, Debian, Mac OS X, and Windows sometime in the next month. I can look into getting it added to extras-devel before then if people want to try it out as is; it's already beta-quality, I've just been going through the UI and fixing things that don't look quite right.

The features are still basically as listed on the PortaBase homepage. Some technical details on the updated code if anybody's interested:
  • Qt 4.6 assumed for Fremantle, Qt 4.5+ elsewhere
  • Still C++, still GPLv2
  • Still using Metakit as the underlying database. I plan to switch to SQLite later, but didn't want to tackle that at the same time as the Qt API upgrade, Mac port, and Maemo ports (it's been taking long enough as is)

Unlike glom, it lets you define and re-define databases on the device. Also supports encrypted files, images and slideshows, calculated fields, etc.

The Following User Says Thank You to jmbowman For This Useful Post:
thanks crashanddie and jmbowman, i guess just wasnt quite patient enough

i look forward to these apps

jmbowman, i have never used portabase but am going to try it out desktop.

i read the documentation and it seems this is so, but i wanted to make sure, namely that the file format created by the different os versions is compatible across those versions. more simply, a portabase created on a desktop version works on a mobile and vice versa?

The Following User Says Thank You to quipper8 For This Useful Post:

Tags
bounty, database, real money