Ok, As all of you know, Most of the N900 users have experienced the restart bug a few time or many times. I have had the phone for about 2 weeks now and after experienceing the bug myself i have done some searching over the net as I just want to clarify something about this bug. Hope you can fill me in on it.

1. Is this bug a hardware problem or a software problem.

2. I hear that people are getting their mobile sent to Nokia to fix this bug.... Does that mean it is an actual defect on the mobile device? If it is then a defect notice should be publicized and all N900 users should be offered a fix. (you know just like if your toyota had one of those break defects).

3. Why haven't we heard anything from Nokia about it yet seeing as it effect many consumers.

4. If it is a software issue is it possible to be fixed with a firmware update released by Nokia. (well if its a hardware issue they cant just send you a fix via internet).

5. Also as an unrelated question, Does anyone know of any new firmware or updates being released after the 3.2010.02-8?

Thanks People.

Posts: 1,091 | Thanked: 323 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ ~
I'd say SW issue. Other Nokia phones(running symbian) is affected as well. Also, Sony Ericsson phones restarts themself very often, according to people I talk with(some repair them 2-3 times as month ). That is due to HW problems I think though.

Posts: 40 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Scotland
As far as I know it is caused by over modification and downloading too many applications that are only in the testing stage. Just reflash the eMMC. Simple.

The Following User Says Thank You to al678 For This Useful Post:
Have you installed anything from Extras-Devel or flashed your phone?

reply for 5:
we are waiting for PR1.2 since february

The Following User Says Thank You to UNderworld For This Useful Post:
from what ive recall it was a software bug i myself do experience this specially upon surfing the web, supposedly this bug was already fixed with the latest firmware but dont know why it still lingers, the other thing ive read from other post that its a bug mainly of the first batch of n900 manufactured sort of hardware related.. i still have reboots but ive learned to live with it..but who knows maybe the pr 1.2 fixes this issues.. cheers

Posts: 199 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Canada
I have never experienced the restart bug problem on any of the N900 that I have owned in the last 5 months.

The Following User Says Thank You to Kajko For This Useful Post:
Thanks for the feedback people.

Now from what i can gather, its a SW issue which should be fixed with a firmware update in the near future which is good i suppose. But even Nokia would have experienced this bug when testing the device prior to making it available to the market, just shows that they don't really do much product testing and they rather get the product on the shelves to sell (then fix the problems later).

I also have installed several applications on the device, so I will do that re-flash and see what happens. It really isnt a huge problem, its just a problem that shouldn't be there in the first place.

Thanks guys

Posts: 128 | Thanked: 232 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ New Jersey, USA
Originally Posted by al678 View Post
As far as I know it is caused by over modification and downloading too many applications that are only in the testing stage. Just reflash the eMMC. Simple.
agreed. I was honestly suprised how easy the reflash process is, especially with three backups.

after bricking my phone while developing on it, i learned how easy it is to get back to a known state.

I currently backup all but applications in one backup.
then have a second with known stable application backups.
finally a third with all applications including Extras/devel.

once you reflash backuo 1. copies all my settings
the second gets all my apps
and the third you can select what to restore or not.

It's so simple compared to symbian it's almost laughable.

on top of all this there's rsync in the repos if you want to do a linux stlye backup to a flash card or network mount.

good work guys.... i know i've taken advantage of it.

IIRC there was 2 reboot problems:

One was Linux Kernel/hardware incompatibility that was fixed.

The other had to do with various software(s) from Devel. There's a reason software is called "devel".
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!