Active Topics

Originally Posted by rpgAmazon View Post
I love this one... pre-order times, read the last lines please...
(dedicated to "I make my research" ones)
Nice screenshot, especially the MIDP part. So, what website has it come from?

I've still no idea where people are having all these issues. Mine runs perfectly.. does everything I want.. cost what I expected and then goes and lets me sync my PS3 controller for psx games!

Posts: 143 | Thanked: 57 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Stockholm, Sweden
Thanks for the replies everyone. There are many things I would like to clarify here. I don't regret my purchase decision. I have no remorse. I still like it and appreciate its strengths. However, I am disappointed but thats just what I feel. I didn't get what I expected, are you going to kill me now? I have reasons for believing my disappointment is justified.

benny1967, your post here is perhaps the only decent response (against the original post) that I have read. It is a reasonable argument but I don't know if the comparison is fair. Regardless of what is said, it IS more like a smartphone than it is a computer (a PC or a Laptop). Its competitors are not Laptops and PCs, are they? Its competitors are smartphones! Isn't it more relevant to compare it to other smartphones out there? Even N95 was called a computer in promotional campaigns I believe!

Your argument is reasonable but it leads to nowhereland. I would say: Well, if you're comparing it to a computer, then why doesn't Modest have the features of Thunderbird or Outlook on a computer? Isn't it unfair that it takes as much time to load but doesn't have the features? You would say, well it has a lesser memory and processing power. I would say: Yes, because it is a smartphone!

My argument is this: Lets say it IS a mobile computer and not just a phone. Isn't it supposed to be MORE powerful than a phone? Isn't it strange that its a "mobile computer" and yet its native e-mail application is a) slower than the e-mail applications of major smartphones and b) lacking in features compared to e-mail applications on phones.

I don't understand this "Maemo never has nor said it would do that" argument either . You expect a certain level of quality in the things that ARE there. I don't complain about things that are not there. I don't care about the lack of third-party applications. I don't care about the absence of a compass. I don't care about the lack of games. But if things like e-mail and media player are sub-par in a 500 euro device, I believe consumers have the right to whine and complain. If you look at the listed "features" of a Nokia E71 and a Chinese copy o the same phone, they'd be similar: GPRS, E-mail etc. Why do people buy the original E71 then despite the fact that it costs more? It is supposed to be of good quality. If a Chinese copy of the E71 costed the same, would it be wrong of the person to complain about shitty performence? Would you say "It never has nor said it would do that"? After all, it does have the "features" it mentions...

Last edited by shanrizvi; 2010-05-17 at 06:14.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shanrizvi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 132 | Thanked: 98 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ New Jersey
I completely agree with what you're saying here. I think the whole Device Categorization argument really holds very little value because it limits the devices capabilities and intentions. This thing was MEANT to be everything it could be with the foundation Nokia built it upon.

Push Email(which has become a big headache to me since I'm used to Android's phenomenal Gmail Push) shouldn't be a second thought with ANY email client. There's really no argument against that. Its especially a headache when there's no Nokia Messenger for the U.S. and even Ovi Mail doesn't support Push email(I forward Gmail to my Ovi account and I still never get notifications without manually refreshing the app).

The App Manager is kind of expected, its easier than some others, but its fine really. Like others said, its getting an update when they release PR1.2(which sounds like a myth at this point. lol. Why mention a release or expected date anyway? Just release it.)

The Media Player is really great, I don't have a whole of music, so I just scroll around, but I can definitely see where that can be a headache. My main issue with the Media Player is the lack of ID3 tag editing and album art kind of pulling when it wants to. When it does display the artwork, its got these weird black and white lines at random points, its just a strange problem.

The Photo Gallery is definitely something I worry about a bit. I use my phone for presentations and if I ever had to show a picture on there, I maybe in trouble. People should be able to at least have Hide/Show options and if not, then allow folders so all of your photos are displayed so clearly. Also too, they should have found a way to group all of the packaged backgrounds better because I spend 20 seconds just scrolling through them. I want to delete them, but I wouldn't know where to get them if I ever wanted to use one.

But back to the topic. The "computer," "mobile computer," "smartphone," "flagship device," whatever the hell you want to tag it, allows so much versatility and power that people are GOING COMPLAIN when resources are untapped. The N900 may not be "advertised" as a smartphone, but it surely can be one. It may be "advertised" as a Mobile Computer/Tablet and it surely could be one of those as well. We're talking about technology and innovation here. We can do what we want on these N900s(like ANY computer)! I mean the lame comparisons to cars and planes and houses are just pointless. But unfortunately, the packaged closed source apps are missing features and polish, there's no denying that. Fortunately, we have the community to fix this(they really do as much as they can), but Nokia doesn't provide us the same forum for criticism as the third-party developers. Nokia/Maemo/Meego need to walk the walk and talk the talk. If they're going to have this open foundation and development for the OS, allow people to contribute to your first-party stuff. If not, then don't even bother packaging them with the phone(Android and iPhone OSes come with no apps basically and the few they have work well, even if they aren't feature-laden). Basic features need to be spelled out and advanced features should come secondary(be it from 3rd-party apps or later additions).

The original poster makes some specific and concise points and he has every right to.

Check out:
pyRadio-A Pandora Client

The Following User Says Thank You to The Arsonist For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by shanrizvi View Post
I don't understand this "Maemo never has nor said it would do that" argument either.
I actually was "for" your argument, not against. I even gave an example... Java. Maemo doesn't do Java. Never has and has to be hacked to do so now.

Pertaining Modest; it's always sucked. Sad part, it's better than the e-mail client it replaced. And that was even worse. Same for the browser(s). I remember using (and somewhat liking) the Opera based browser, then Microb came along. It's usable as is; but it won't support all of HTML5 features as is.

That's what I mean by Maemo never has nor said it would do that.

Feel free to complain about Modest. I'm willing to bet I'd agree. Hell, I don't even use Modest, just use the browser for Gmail... that's it.

You expect a certain level of quality in the things that ARE there.
Yep. For a "pocket computer" I find it terribly lacking. I'm not the type to have swallowed the marketing kool-aid.

I don't complain about things that are not there. I don't care about the lack of third-party applications. I don't care about the absence of a compass. I don't care about the lack of games. But if things like e-mail and media player are sub-par in a 500 euro device, I believe consumers have the right to whine and complain.
And I agree. I think you totally took what I said quite wrong.

If you look at the listed "features" of a Nokia E71 and a Chinese copy o the same phone, they'd be similar: GPRS, E-mail etc. Why do people buy the original E71 then despite the fact that it costs more? It is supposed to be of good quality. If a Chinese copy of the E71 costed the same, would it be wrong of the person to complain about shitty performence? Would you say "It never has nor said it would do that"? After all, it does have the "features" it mentions...
I kindly request that you go back and re-read what I said. You've taken what I meant so far to the left of what I meant that I feel like I'm not even addressing what I stated... at all.

Simply put. Modest plain sucks. There, I said it. The inability to do some rather basic things - search for instance - is rather poor given that it is now 2010. The browser... I do like.

I think you'd do a better justice in seeing that I'm one of the few people around here that isn't taken with the N900 - I have yet to buy one because it's missing features that I'd rather like and know I'd use - and I'm sitting rather "hack-happy" with my Nokia N810.

Have grievances, feel free. I'm the one that's said to many others that if you're happy, so be it. If you have valid grievances - and you do - then those should be stated too.

I don't know who is more pathetic - Apple fanboys or Maemo fanboys. Both have this quality called 'ignoring everything that is wrong with my device!'. What that sounds to me is mix of insecurity with ignorance. Nobody/nothing is perfect. While we don't talk about the problems nothing will happen to solve them or make them better. This 'everything is perfect, if you disagree go away' is borderline fascist and reminding of some questionable dictatorships.

The N900 is the first (and last...) product from a new platform so it is obvious there are going to be problems with it. Can someone explain me the point in disputing with the troglodite rectoric 'for me it works fine'? It does? Great! Either help those with problems or piss off. You are the real trolls...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jaco2k For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by God_Lx View Post
Seems a so simple issue that I still believe it's something I overlooked but can't figure out where.
Nokia Messaging for gmail (or any other IMAP) "push" works fine. Set send/receive to "as soon as possible" to get push email.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by Jaco2k View Post
I don't know who is more pathetic - Apple fanboys or Maemo fanboys. Both have this quality called 'ignoring everything that is wrong with my device!'. What that sounds to me is mix of insecurity with ignorance. Nobody/nothing is perfect. While we don't talk about the problems nothing will happen to solve them or make them better. This 'everything is perfect, if you disagree go away' is borderline fascist and reminding of some questionable dictatorships.
Brand loyalty is one helluva force. Can drive smart people to say stupid remarks.

The N900 is the first (and last...) product from a new platform so it is obvious there are going to be problems with it.
Still should have fixed what was still a problem in the prior version(s) of Maemo.

Can someone explain me the point in disputing with the troglodite rectoric 'for me it works fine'? It does? Great! Either help those with problems or piss off. You are the real trolls...
Troglodytic rhetoric. Sorry, the grammar nazi in me just had to correct that. But I'll bugger off now.

I would like to support the OP's call that the N900 should be more responsive.

The question is "what can I do about it!"

Phone calls coming in often make my device hang. It might be ringing for 10 seconds, and the screen is gray the whole time... no buttons coming up for me to answer... I just press the screen where I know the green button should be, and it answers.

I'm probably going to hang on to the phone and hope that things get better. For me, there isn't a lot I can do to contribute to the community - I don't know enough about software.

I'm learning how to do something useful by hanging out here, and watching things happen at the garage/brainstorms. The thing is though, it's a luxury to do that, and I don't have as much time as I'd like.

And despite all that - I expected that when I bought a phone from Nokia for a few hundred euro that it would not be sluggish at basic operations. It's really damaged my confidence in the Nokia brand and I've been warning my friends away from the N900, and letting them test-drive mine to see what it's like.

This isn't a criticism of the community, there are clearly many skilled and well-intentioned people here, and they are working hard.

As an newcomer though, I wish that the community efforts were more co-ordinated and more effective at addressing the basic problems that the OP has outlined.

And I wish that when my 'mobile computer' started to ring, that it was not a matter of chance if I would be able to answer the call or not.

That is not too much to ask.

One thing I will recommend is to use the transition-control app, possibly some of the existing configs, and see what happens. I applied some of the earlier tweaks to the transitions.ini file and device responsiveness has gone way up.

Very rarely since then have I ever noticed stuttering or delays when receiving calls, and most lag now is caused either when Flash is up in the browser (for -any- reason, especially those f*cking 1px by 1px tracking embeds) or Modest running its background serivce and being a horrible pig.

The Following User Says Thank You to wmarone For This Useful Post: