Active Topics

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Ctrl + Shift + R just sets the _HILDON_PORTRAIT_MODE_SUPPORT and _HILDON_PORTRAIT_MODE_REQUEST properties on the topmost window. I've already tried setting them on the virtual keyboard - nothing happens.

The Following User Says Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,034 | Thanked: 784 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Annapolis, MD
Originally Posted by Radicalz38 View Post
Really? Well haven't tried it yet on some applications but on messaging the screen rotates and the keyboard autofits itself on the screen.
If the Ctrl + Shift + R seems to work better does anyone know how to make a virtual click of those keys using python?
You don't want to do that because the default rotation now in Hildon that is activated by "Crtl-Shift-R" does not apply to the on screen keyboard.

When rotating with "Crtl-Shift-R", invoking the on screen keyboard will rotate the display back to landscape and open the normal landscape soft keyboard.

So far, only the rotate.py method of rotation actually displays the keyboard in portrait mode and thus is the subject of this forum thread.

The Following User Says Thank You to cddiede For This Useful Post:
Is something wrong with rotate.py and PR 1.2? Does not work for me.

It begins extracting and then fails to find one file or something.

Originally Posted by BN900 View Post
Is something wrong with rotate.py and PR 1.2? Does not work for me.

It begins extracting and then fails to find one file or something.
What do you mean by "it begins extracting"?

rotate.py is not a compressed file so there is nothing to extract. You just drop it somewhere on your N900, chmod it to be executable, and then execute it.

The Following User Says Thank You to cddiede For This Useful Post:
my bad Just tried again and it worked. II just meant that it begins executing but then something goes wrong in one line. But I tried now and it worked.

I noticed that when you click on a word while it suggests its auto-complete, it does not auto-complete. It is also very tricky inserting the cursor in the middle of a word. But other than that and some squeezed buttons, it works like a charm. Also, if you COMBINE it with ctrl shift R, it makes the app fill the entire screen as opposed to having half of the screen empty!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BN900 For This Useful Post:
Also, if you COMBINE it with ctrl shift R, it makes the app fill the entire screen as opposed to having half of the screen empty!
Good tip! I didn't think that rotate.py and Ctrl-Shift-R would play nice together like that. I'll have to give it a try.

Posts: 609 | Thanked: 243 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Eastern USA
my bad Just tried again and it worked. II just meant that it begins executing but then something goes wrong in one line. But I tried now and it worked.

I noticed that when you click on a word while it suggests its auto-complete, it does not auto-complete. It is also very tricky inserting the cursor in the middle of a word. But other than that and some squeezed buttons, it works like a charm. Also, if you COMBINE it with ctrl shift R, it makes the app fill the entire screen as opposed to having half of the screen empty!
Quite interesting development... I'll add that to the list of things to film today.

I'm sure with a little tinkering, this could actually be stable... (unless something crucial is closed to modifications.)

Now there's one other thing that would still be nice, in addition to modifying the keyboard, if possible: Allowing interaction with the background (say, navigating a website), without closing the keyboard.

Originally Posted by nosa101 View Post
Opera has a portrait vkb too. Apparently, it is easier to do it for an app than for the whole system
In case someone is going to ask "Why don't we just port the Opera Keyboard?"

ohrn, the user who originally announced Opera for Maemo 5, has said that the Opera Keyboard is far too integrated and entrenched in the browser, that it would be essentially easier to start from scratch.
Also, pin yourself in the map! Maemo Map. Send me a PM (Private Message) if I leave you hanging on a problem (or if you need more help).
Owner of both a N800 and N900; Active community member since Jan 2010. You've been xommified! - My blog.

The Following User Says Thank You to xomm For This Useful Post:
Also, if you COMBINE it with ctrl shift R, it makes the app fill the entire screen as opposed to having half of the screen empty!
Okay yeah, this didn't work so well for me. The two rotation methods seemed to be fighting for X server dominance.

Screen was totally blank for a few minutes after that and then eventually returned, but my 800x480 screen was now crunched down to 75% of the normal amount of space it took up on the display (making the menus very hard to hit). Had to reboot to clear it all up.

Long story short: don't try this.

Posts: 609 | Thanked: 243 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Eastern USA
Got a video up with sound:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwVr3qjWbUU

Qwerty12's and Radicalz38's versions will be in a video tomorrow morning.

Originally Posted by cddiede View Post
Okay yeah, this didn't work so well for me. The two rotation methods seemed to be fighting for X server dominance.

Screen was totally blank for a few minutes after that and then eventually returned, but my 800x480 screen was now crunched down to 75% of the normal amount of space it took up on the display (making the menus very hard to hit). Had to reboot to clear it all up.

Long story short: don't try this.
I've done it in Conversations without any problems.

Still wouldn't recommend it, though.
Also, pin yourself in the map! Maemo Map. Send me a PM (Private Message) if I leave you hanging on a problem (or if you need more help).
Owner of both a N800 and N900; Active community member since Jan 2010. You've been xommified! - My blog.

Last edited by xomm; 2010-06-03 at 02:24.

Originally Posted by xomm View Post
In case someone is going to ask "Why don't we just port the Opera Keyboard?"

ohrn, the user who originally announced Opera for Maemo 5, has said that the Opera Keyboard is far too integrated and entrenched in the browser, that it would be essentially easier to start from scratch.
Can't we just ask opera devs for the source of their on screen keyboard? I know it's not open source but asking for something nicely won't hurt I think?

Also is nokia conversations on maemo not open source? Sigh if only nokia provided a simple but complete UI for their open source OS like symbian has on PDK then it would have been easier.

Oh BTW could you also make a video of rotate.py on typing SMS? As that would attract more audience on the video. Seems like 90% of the people here asking for the portrait mode is aiming for the SMS only.

Last edited by Radicalz38; 2010-06-03 at 17:02.