So i use nokia pc suite to teher my n900 on tmobile in the usa. Ive tried using the apns internet2.voicestream.com and epc.tmobile.com. I get the same tethering speeds with both. The tethring speeds are right around 350 Kbps when i run speedtest.net while tethered. If im not not tethered though and run speedtest.net from the phone im getting close to 1mb on 3g. What gives with the tethering? Ive tried this on windows 7 and xp. I have also changed the baud rate to max it out while tethered. Does anyone else have a similar experience of a drastic speed decrease while tethered? I also have an unlimited web smartphone plan.

try mobile hotspot. I use it with gentoo and I get the same speed as i would using the phone alone....with slight lag.

Posts: 1,048 | Thanked: 979 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ SF Bay Area
Originally Posted by R10T View Post
Does anyone else have a similar experience of a drastic speed decrease while tethered? I also have an unlimited web smartphone plan.
I've tested the speeds using tethering and using Joikuspot between T-Mo unlimited smartphone plan and my Ubuntu laptop with N900 in PC suite mode.

I also found that tethering is way slower than Joikuspot.
Not sure why.

I originally started using Joikuspot. Joikuspot chews through the battery within an hour, so I began charging the N900 over USB from my laptop.

At that point I did a facepalm and wondered why I didn't try tethering first.
After seeing the speeds with USB tethering, I un-facepalmed and was happy with my purchase of Joikuspot.

Can you try bluetooth tethering? I havent tried USB, but using bluetooth I tend to get the same speeds as I would running a speed test on my phone.

Posts: 1,425 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Hong Kong
You can use jebba's method (http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...7&postcount=48) to turn your N900 into a wifi hotspot by using the following script (modified mine by adding wep password share password authentication):

Code:
#!/bin/sh
# Run this script to share your Internet connection.
# Activate your gprs0 (fone data) connection with the GUI
# Then run this  :)

set -x

# insert masquerade module
sudo modprobe ipt_MASQUERADE

# flush old rules
sudo iptables -F
sudo iptables -t nat -F

sudo iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o gprs0 -j MASQUERADE

# forward IPs
echo -n 1 | sudo tee /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

sudo ifconfig wlan0 down
sudo iwconfig wlan0 mode ad-hoc
sudo ifconfig wlan0 up
sudo iwconfig wlan0 essid yourssid
sudo iwconfig wlan0 key s:yourpassword
sudo iwconfig channel 13
sudo ifconfig wlan0 192.168.1.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 up
The script doesn't offer the convenience of dhcp server in order to save battery. So you must setup the following in the client:

IP: 10.0.0.x (x>1)
NETMASK: 255.255.255.0
GATEWAY: 10.0.0.1
DNS: 10.0.01 (if your dns caching on N900 doesn't work somehow, use your ISP's DNS)
SSID: yourssid (change by youself)
Authentication: WEP
Password: yourpassword

I'm not sure if it's the fastest method to do hotspot, but it's definitely the most battery-friendly.

Posts: 1,425 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Hong Kong
Oh, you may want to turn off the wifi hotspot after use. Either use some wifi switching widget, or create a Queen Becon/Desktop Command Widget with the following command:

Code:
sudo ifdown wlan0