Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 286 | Thanked: 219 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ France
Originally Posted by cjp View Post
Okay I've been playing around with this for a couple of hours now, and it seems that having multiple windows in the browser is enough to confuse the application.

Just now I was surfing in two different windows and I got a message of AutoDisconnect being active. It then cut off my internet connection as I was loading a page.

I will try to figure out the steps to reproducing this problem.
Hey cjp. Thanks for the feedback.

Don't forget to analyse the file /var/log/autodisconnect.log to understand what AutoDisconnect do.

Using two different windows in the browser shouldn't interfere with AutoDisconnect, which only reads the overall network stats and not which application is running.

The beta function "auto-switch 2G-3G" will work better on the next version (should be released in a few days).

Cheers!

Originally Posted by soredawg View Post
Both pics/videos are now stored under DCIM folder now, which can be accessed from file manager. hope this helps.
No!

Bad topic I presume...

Originally Posted by tiivonen View Post
Is there a fix to N900 connecting the MMS apn from time to time. I've created another internet apn but it still connects to MMS apn every now and then. This is probably Maemo problem, not autodisconnect.
Yes, it doesn't concern AutoDisconnect but rather FMMS/Maemo.

Originally Posted by tiivonen View Post
Also 2g/3g switch needs 2g / multi option. Would be nice feature when theres no 3g available.

But still great app!!
As previously said, the next version will implement that functionality. Keep tuned!

Originally Posted by kerneld View Post
@x-lette: as you said, if you're browsing the web or doing any other network operation that requires user input, you'd have the connection dropping constantly -- either that or, even with your proposed system, you'd have to set the limit so low that it'd actually take zero activity to have autodisconnect close the connection. In my experience, if there's an active connection on and you either have network-bound widgets on the dashboard and/or apps in the background that fetch data from the net, you'll always get some activity.

It's tricky getting something like this right. For automated retrieval of information, your idea would work great. But for all those times when you're actually doing something yourself, it'd be tricky configuring it so it wouldn't trip you up at every turn.

I'd propose the following that, despite not being perfect and coming with its own drawbacks, would serve to alleviate most people's problems with the intervals -- let us have 2 interval settings for connection checking, each with its own bandwidth limit:

a) an "Initial" grace period, and associated traffic threshold, that you could set to a higher limit (which you'd then tailor to match the typical usage time and bandwidth of your automated retrieval apps/widgets/push-email .. say 3 minutes and a total of 120 KB, or 40KB/min for x-lette's example)

b) the interval at which autodisconnect would check the connection status and traffic after that initial period, which you'd tailor to more human-involved tasks, like performing updates, browsing the web, etc.

Either that or allow a "special" setting to be enabled that would allow you to configure something like "monitor traffic every minute for an initial period of X minutes and as soon as a single minute goes by where traffic fell below a certain threshold Y, close connection" -- for automated tasks that take less than those X minutes to complete where you're guaranteed to have Z/min traffic, you'd set Y to be very close to Z resulting in a closed connection pretty much as soon as the automated tasks completed.

If, however, in addition to the automated tasks, you're also doing something else (like browsing the web or replying to emails, whatever) that extra traffic would keep the connection alive and if the session were to extend beyond the initial period of X minutes, the "normal" threshold and interval would kick in and you could set these to be a bit more lax (say, by having a bigger interval or a lower threshold) which would help to keep the connection alive for those human-input sessions.

Did I make it too confusing?

For any of these two "systems", or even the way the app works right now, I'd suggest people put autodisconnect into "testing mode" by setting the interval(s) to 1 minute and using a very low threshold (say 1B/min, yes BYTE .. this will result in the connection being kept alive for the tests) and then do a "tail -f /var/log/autodisconnect.log" so you can gauge how much is being received every minute. That'd allow people to really tailor the intervals to their usage/needs.
What I could to is add a new option "grace period" which is actually set manually to 20 seconds. After that AutoDisconnect checks periodically (using the interval value) the network status.

OK?

Posts: 245 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ CT USA
Calvin would it be possible to add gps and network location to auto disconnect?

Originally Posted by amorek13 View Post
Calvin would it be possible to add gps and network location to auto disconnect?
GPS/Network Location are only used when an application such Maps is running, no?

Posts: 245 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ CT USA
Originally Posted by calvin_42 View Post
GPS/Network Location are only used when an application such Maps is running, no?
yes and no, also status application for skype is using network location, i guess your right it does turn off when maps are off my mistake

Hi!

Today is a busy day for AutoDisconnect :
  • Version 0.4-2 is now in extra thanks to your votes
  • Version 0.4.5 is now in extra-devel

0.4.5 Changelog
----------------------------
  • Enhancement of AutoSwitch [#5861] :

+ 3G/Dual option - Reporter jaguilar
    + Active only when 3G is on - Special thanks to maddler
    + Others enhancements

• Fix [#5918] : The minus button on the SpinBox on the bluetooth tab was defective - Reporter hironico
  • New feature [#5870] : Add an option: "Do not disconnect while using the device" - Reporter c1fs2aom
  • New feature [#5919] : Add a grace period for each connection

The Wiki has been updated.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to calvin_42 For This Useful Post:
Thanks calvin_42 for this.
I like the new option "Do not disconnect while using the device" but I am not sure how that is detected. Is "using" anything I do as long as the screen is unlocked or are the different touches of my finger monitored while I am playing a game etc.
It would be nice if you could explain this in detail.

The Following User Says Thank You to DaSilva For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by DaSilva View Post
Thanks calvin_42 for this.
I like the new option "Do not disconnect while using the device" but I am not sure how that is detected. Is "using" anything I do as long as the screen is unlocked or are the different touches of my finger monitored while I am playing a game etc.
It would be nice if you could explain this in detail.
Yes the label in the changelog is not very clear. In the application you can see "When locked" and "When locked AND not charging". So as you've guessed, I am just using the lock status.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to calvin_42 For This Useful Post: