Sorry to ask this... But may I ask how do you guys develop apps for N900? I know it's stupid to ask but I'm really curious about this...

how come you cant see what is in front of you? in the menu below the maemo.org banner, there is a development menu go there... or use the search, some post have been made about how to create an app really quick...

Well... thanks.

Perhaps you could expand upon your question. What you asked was extremely vague, and has been answered a multitude of times via posts here, projects, and the wiki.

Posts: 42 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Kuopio, Finland
Nokia QT Sdk (includes simple N900 emulator) is excellent way to start.

I am .NET developer and learning QT/c++ stuff seem to take a bit time. I was ready to toss my computer to hell yesterday.

Originally Posted by MaxJP View Post
Well... thanks.
why? i love the encouragement around here

The Following User Says Thank You to andraeseus1 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 1,916 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Edmonton, AB
well, as long as for every mean post there is a nice one... we just need balance! anyways, i would take a look at the source for a simple app, and if it scares the hell out of you, don't bother :P
seriously, what if he turns out to be some super genius programmer, but has no patience for searching? at least he was polite!

Originally Posted by trotor View Post
Nokia QT Sdk (includes simple N900 emulator) is excellent way to start.

I am .NET developer and learning QT/c++ stuff seem to take a bit time. I was ready to toss my computer to hell yesterday.
oh great, i hope it's not that bad. I'm still deciding what to do with my "talents". I think I might try joining an existing project so that maybe I don't have to learn everything at once. There's lots of stuff with good potential but the existing developers don't often want to tweak the UI enough.

The Following User Says Thank You to Creamy Goodness For This Useful Post:
Posts: 726 | Thanked: 345 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Sweden
Originally Posted by Creamy Goodness View Post
seriously, what if he turns out to be some super genius programmer, but has no patience for searching? at least he was polite!
In a context like this, what you ask about is equally important. No patience for searching is not an excuse since searching for information is 75% or more of the work when starting out. So, I'd say OP is not a "genius programmer" in the making...

If you act like a, polite or not, lazy person that wants to be spoon fed, you'll get a not so friendly reaction. Helping someone that has already put in the time to do at least a few searches on Google but failed to find what she was looking for is something completely different.

Posts: 40 | Thanked: 42 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Vienna
Sorry to ask this... But may I ask how do you guys develop apps for N900? I know it's stupid to ask but I'm really curious about this...
Ok, i don't think this question is stupid at all. I spent around 3-5 hours setting up the development environment, and it can give yu a hard time.

So basically, Maemo development is always done under Linux. You can either:
- Install the Maemo SDK in your running Linux (or VM) or
- download a COMPLETE virtual environment, (VMware, Virtual Box), which includes an IDE, the preinstalled SDK and an emulator

Then development itself is done in your favorite qt/C++ IDE (eclipse for instance)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wongdong For This Useful Post:
I, personally, develop in Python using the QT4 bindings. This is called PyQt4.

This can easily be developed directly on the device itself (N900), and it can be developed without any SDK or scratchbox or emulating environment on your Desktop PC. All you need, is the proper PyQt4 development apps on your system (Linux is easiest IMHO. Not sure how Windows PyQt4 is.)

Write the code, copy the files to N900, and run. No compiling, no converting, no hassel. And if you aren't doing anything weird (like dbus calls to an FM Transmitter your PC doesn't have..) then you can actually run the app right on your desktop, make sure it runs right, and then copy it to the N900 and watch it instantly become "Maemo-ized" for you.

As far as how to code for the N900... there are plenty of Tutorials covering that already.
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

The Following User Says Thank You to fatalsaint For This Useful Post:

Tags
please don't, we're doomed