Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
Originally Posted by w00t View Post
FWIW, (as I've extended the invitation elsewhere) - I'm more than happy to help you - or anyone else - learn. Just try things, ask questions, and we'll get there. I have a wide base of skills, but a lot of it centres around Qt, so use what I have.
I have a CS degree; it's ten years back and honestly i don't see that anyone should feel a lack of such puts them at a real disadvantage. More than any other field, the resources to learn the relevant material are all available online and the pace of change makes recent practical experience far more important than distant academic experience IMO.

On the subject of Qt: i started a project and ran into problems with the repo (Qt binding for poppler) that prevented me from getting it into the repo. When PR1.2 came along and failed to resolve the issue with the broken repo, i started on the project again only to find that the app would no longer build (presumably due to messing with qmake or something in PR1.2 SDK) so, while i was fairly impressed with my first day with Qt, the rough edges on Maemo/Qt have about bled my enthusiasm to death.

Edit: I meant to make this whine somehow constructive by saying that i would appreciate a single wiki that describes Qt on Maemo in purely a PR1.2/Qt6.2 context so there's no ambiguity, and also an answer to the question of why armel/x86 packages depending on the exact same library will claim it is missing/available respectively.

Unofficial PR1.3/Meego 1.1 FAQ

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?
MAME: an arcade in your pocket
Accelemymote: make your accelerometer more joy-ful

Last edited by Flandry; 2010-06-17 at 14:24.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Flandry For This Useful Post:
I too have a CS degree. Sure, it helped open a few doors, but in the end it's just a piece of paper. I read my textbooks more out of college than I did while in, and my enthusiasm for all things computing never stops growing (I'm 46). The two smartest guys I know are best friends. One has a PhD in CS and the other is degree-less. I can't hold a candle to either of them and they'll both always be well paid.

Even though I've left it behind for the time being, I still think Java is the best language I've ever known. The point being, OOP is here to stay, GObject is one of the best hacks of the last twenty years IMO.

qwerty12, it's time for the next step. Accept the hurt, master C++, bend Qt to your will, then take your rightful place at the round table of the computer knights. Java and Objective C will be waiting for you when you get there.

I feel your pain, brutha, but if it's any consolation, because of GStreamer, I think GObject and glib are here to stay for a while.

Last edited by daperl; 2010-06-17 at 14:42.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to daperl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Originally Posted by volt View Post
they surely don't want to push away gtk loving people...
Speaking of steps and not only words, some background about Hildon, GTK+ and other GNOME technologies.

http://gnomejournal.org/article/98/i...advisory-board

If you want to have good GTK+/Hildon support in MeeGo & MeeGo-Harmattan you can get Cornelius and others trying to push this activity with the help of the GNOME Foundation.

http://mail.gnome.org/archives/mobil...ne/thread.html

About the fast progression of Qt in Maemo, the main merit goes to the Qt team. Qt 4.7 officially supported was really not expected and, well, now it's in it way at extras-devel. That also talks about actions, concrete steps.

And about Connman and Ofono, Intel and Nokia have been developing these projects openly since last year. Concrete steps too. You can challenge them at meego-dev if you have a better technical plan.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Well, the controversy is already heating up at the MeeGo forum over a preliminary wiki article on the MeeGo handheld UX being pulled:

http://forum.meego.com/showthread.php?p=3951

Bad for PR if nothing else...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qwerty12 View Post

volt, I don't want this to be about me.

(...)

For every one contributor liking GTK, there's 10 more using Qt so, no, my coming or going makes no difference. I want to get back to Nokia's problems*!
Well, I only ment to use you as an example of high profile and important maemo members - which you are - that could need some extra encouragement to increase the chances of having a successful community. I realize that this encouragement would be different for each and every person because everyone is feeling a little let down for different reasons, but the overall mood takes colour from it.

Originally Posted by qgil View Post
Speaking of steps and not only words, (...links to good resources....)
I believe that at the present time Nokia are doing more solid, concrete steps than what individuals here know about, and more than they trust them to complete. Examples like Mer was concrete, solid work that in reality ended up nowhere. Community version of MeeGo might be a carbon copy of that. People who had hopes for that here will probably remember that for a long time. It might create a distrust that for a change, actions alone can't really clear away. People are venting because they want reassurance. At least I think some are. This reassurance might be given in many different ways, I am sure.

Just by being here, I've seen you, qgil, spread that reassurance. Now, I don't know what tex and archie and everyone needs to hear to fall back in line. But I think they need to hear something.

For me, hearing about new Qt versions works wonders.

And I know, qgil, that you probably feel that this isn't how you should spend your work hours. But maybe a few hundred euros worth of work hours from someone working with community relations might pay back if it can give developers and moderators here reinforced belief in the Maemo/MeeGo direction.

Last edited by volt; 2010-06-17 at 15:20.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to volt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by qgil
About the fast progression of Qt in Maemo, the main merit goes to the Qt team. Qt 4.7 officially supported was really not expected and, well, now it's in it way at extras-devel.
Originally Posted by volt View Post
For me, hearing about new Qt versions works wonders.
Just so we don't misinterpret anything. Quim, can you (re)confirm Qt4.7 is (going to be) officially supported for Fremantle ? I know it's in extras-devel (I played my little role in that maneuver ), but 'officially supported' and 'experimental packages for developers' are two things. If official support IS meant as in 'for end users, too', this is probably the most important Fremantle happening this month, if not quarter, far too important to be casually mentioned in a tmo thread

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,137 | Thanked: 402 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Catalunya
Originally Posted by qwerty12 View Post
Ah, open-source DSME...

That's right! We'll remove all the useful code (what is it now in Fremantle you ask? A glorified app launcher, that's what) and move it to MCE (we're still keeping that closed, BTW).
I was trying to be sarcastic, but you summed it up quite nicely

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
The way this is playing out... Nokia will have way too much to prove to me to gather my attention ever again.

Simply put, deleting a wiki entry, that's been cached on the internet and on the other hand state that everything about MeeGo is open is incredibly two faced and superficially dishonest.

I don't like what "open source" seems to mean to Nokia. "Most open" doesn't mean that you use open source to bolster your offerings. It means you contribute and are open.

Nokia... you are neither and this one action honestly proves more against you than you will ever realize.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Simply put, deleting a wiki entry, that's been cached on the internet and on the other hand state that everything about MeeGo is open is incredibly two faced and superficially dishonest.
This is not said to defend anyone since I agree with you in principle-- but do we know the responsible party? Nokia, Intel, Linux Foundation, ?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:

Tags
misstep, nokia